Thread: Do any taxidermists Freeze Dry Velvet in AK?

Default Do any taxidermists Freeze Dry Velvet in AK?

Hey guys,

I am from Arizona but am moving to Fairbanks in May with my wife who was born and raised there. We are excited for the adventure as life for her growing up wasn't exactly an adventure, more just counting down the days until she could leave the state. She ended up in Arizona and fell in love with the outdoors, then met me and is now getting excited about hunting.

Anyways, I am so excited for a totally different hunting experience from what I'm used to and I have tons and tons of questions that I will probably ask over the next few months/years and I hope to meet some of you guys who live in Fairbanks.

But! One question I have right now is about velvet because I believe the first hunt I hope to do in AK this coming fall is an archery Caribou hunt in August. Down here in AZ, a taxidermist I really like (https://mogollontaxidermy.com/galler...houlder-mounts) uses a freeze drying machine to cure velvet and it turns out looking absolutely amazing and I'm curious if any Alaskan Taxidermists use one . It looks so good in fact that I don't think I could ever be totally satisfied with the standard Formaldehyde process again.

I know that how you treat the velvet in the field is crucial if you want it in its best state possible and have a plan on how to keep the velvet fresh until I can get it back into civilization. I would only attempt this if we could kill a bull with our bows near enough to the road where we could get the antlers on ice in the truck that same day. I know it wouldn't be worth trying to save the velvet on a backpack or fly-out hunt.

I also know that leaving them in the freezer for a few years does the same thing as a freeze drying machine but I'm a guy in my 20's living in the 21st century and I'm a part of the instant gratification generation!!! I don't want to wait to see my critter on the wall!!! Haha

Thank you all for taking time to read my funny request. I really appreciate any info or advice on if this method is possible in Alaska or if I'm going to have to ship Caribou antlers back to AZ. =) As you might have seen by my name on this site, I'm a Coues Deer nut. They are my sickness. I will miss them more than anything, I don't even think a monster rutted out Bull Moose could quench my desire for The Grey Ghost. So I will be making trips back to AZ in the winter to chase them. And I would love to make friends with some Alaskans who would want to chase any Arizonan critters with me.

Thanks!

Shelton

We don't Freeze dry but we do TAN the Velvet antlers.

We do a couple hundred each year .

If h velvet comes in in good shape it comes out great.

We are a Full time taxidermist operation in Fairbanks.

Check out our website protaxidermy.com

We also ship trophy shipments world wide.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Arctic Fox Taxidermy in Wasilla did my rack a couple years ago. They dip it in something, since it took 6 weeks to dry before I picked it up. Cost a little over $100 back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I had a small bull rack I stuck in the freezer till winter then put it in a shed for the winter it is still in perfect shape 7 or 8 years later. Fairbanks is super cold dry winter is good for something.

I don't know anyone up here that has a freeze dryer. Most of us are using methanol to preserve the velvet. Immersed for two weeks and they will last a lifetime.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Thanks for all your thoughts! Sorry it took so long to respond. Life has been so busy moving up here. But we are up here and I helped a resident friend kill a great Caribou the other day. We didn't get the option to preserve the velvet because he should have rubbed it last week. When we touched the antlers, it all slouched off. Totally ruined it packing him out. =/

I can't wait til they are all hard horned and beautiful! =)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk