Thread: Bandlands 4500 or Eberlestock J107?

Default Bandlands 4500 or Eberlestock J107?

Trying to decided which one to buy. Anyone have experience with both or any thing stand out good or bad on either one? I am thinking I would like to use it to keep various levels of survival gear in cub when working and double as my hunting pack when not working.

well for 2007 Badlands changed their 4500 pack - I have the new one, and I love it thus far....The only thing I would knock it on is its a pretty heavy back....Other than that I love it, lots of room, great camo pattern (not that that matters) and tons of adjustability....(feels good on my back) I just wished it would of come with someway to attach my rifle to it as carrying a rifle with a sling on it just doesnt work...

Default Eberlestock Packs

I haven't used them, but if you are in the market for any of the Eberlestock gun carrying packs take a look at Ebay. I don't think you will beat the prices for new packs. Also, yesterday I received a message about a gun carrying pack called the Kifaru Gunbearer. Take a look by going to the website.
    Good luck,
    MD Mike

Default Badlands 4500

I own a badlands 4500 and absolutly love it. The frame is a beast and it will handle how ever much you think you can carry on it. The warranty is iron clad. I would not hesitate is going with the 4500. I havent had any experiance with the Eberlestock so I cant comment on it. Just know that the 4500 is awesome.

Maybe I'm to late and you've already bought your pack, BUT I can't say enough about Eberlestock! Amazing pack, adjustable, feels good, tons of options, not to mention the built in scabbard and the option of carrying a bow on quick release...WOW!!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Talking

I have used and liked the Badlands 4500 and would vote for that.

Default Eberlestock J107

I bought one this year and have taken it on three hunting trips so far. I packed out nearly three caribou with it - one over seven miles. I like the pack as a meat-hauler and love it for its flexibility as a day pack. The drawbacks:

- The throat to the main compartment is a little tight when you are shoving quarters and a big burger bag in.

- Seems to soak up water and starts weighing more than it's advertised 8 pounds in a downpour.

- I am thinking of sewing some more lateral compression straps on for load managment.

- One of the compression straps is a vertical one with a large sheath of fabric at the bottom that acts as a pack "shelf" for lack of a better term. The top attachment point originates in the top pack flap. That *&# thing hits right where the top of the quarters are and you have to push the quarters to the side to attach the strap -- you can imagine what that causes.

All in all - a decent pack with good flexibility. I have use Barney's in the past and, of course, they have better load management.

DH,

Did you notice the thin straps of the J107 giving you any problems when carrying heavy loads? I have a J105 now, but my wife has decided it should be hers and I'm in the market for a new pack. I can't seem to locate another J105 so the J107 appears to be my only option. I've looked at the straps in the store and they concern me with so little padding.

Thumbs up Eberlestock... Great company...

I got an Eberlestock Gunslinger to carry my rifle in and fly rod tubes on the side. Still plenty of room in the pack for all gear for an over nighter or a weekend trip if you pack right. I got the OD green 1000 cordura. Super quality pack and customer service was awesome. I emailed them with questions about what size fly rod tubes (diameter) would fit in the shotgun scabbards (accessory item). The same day, Glen Eberlestock called me and talked for 30 minutes about the dimensions and said they would custom make the scabbards if need be to fit my fly rod tubes. I can carry 2 fly rod tubes in the side scabbards, my Marlin Guide gun in the built in scabbard, and all my fishing/camping gear in the main compartment. A happy Eberlstock pack owner I am.