Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Go to Alaska from Sweden

Most people on this forum have more experience than I do in the real Alaska bush...but this part

"But also feel if you lack the funds to do this properly then you should continue saving your money for another time.
    I've seen people stuck in AK for lack of funds who had to get a job to earn enough to get home."

....is absolutely spot on. Where my cabin is (in the Mat Valley, ATV, d**n near "Road" accessible) 10 miles from the end of the road, I've seen 40 years worth of dreamers come to the end of the road or nearby property to "live the Alaska dream". With less than 5 exceptions (meaning I can count them on one hand), all have failed and end up living *******ized fringe existence in the backroads of the borough where they're not off the grid, but not living a productive life either.....and can't build up their economic reserves to "try again" or to get home or to move to Idaho or to......

To the gentleman from Sweden, please take some of the advice here and, for goodness sake, if you're not prepared (financially, mentally, and physically) to undertake the challenges described herein, please stay home. All three types of prep are important, but the responses would seem to indicate a lack of money and a lack of mental prep by being unwilling to accept honestly offered advice.

I believe it would be accurate to say that once a person is established in "bush" Alaska, they can get by on surprisingly low amounts of $$...conversely, getting established (in my experience) requires far more $$ than one often anticipates.....and in my often-not-very-humble opinion, blood sweat and tears doesn't entirely cover a shortfall of $$$.

Best of Luck to you.
    Back in AK

swedish guy =

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    I land in Fairbanks in 35 days all alone, I do not know, I thought I would get a little more welcome when I come and greet in honorary country.
    Well you should have been on the ground for 2+ weeks now. How's things going?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    Well you should have been on the ground for 2+ weeks now. How's things going?
    Just a guess but I'm betting we never hear from him again.
    He seems upset that we wouldn't loan him our boats, chainsaws, and/or ATV's.
    That coupled with the fact that people do not like to admit their failures to others makes me think he is done here.
    Unless by some miracle he has overwhelming success I don't expect a progress report.
    But I am curious as well and wish him the best of luck.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

He has been out on his property for the last 10 days. Found all his property corners and has been brushing out the lines. Doesn't have any Internet with his phone. He has met with some of his neighbors. Plans on staying out there for 3 or 4 more days and then renting a vehicle to see a little more of Alaska.
    Seems to be very competent. Pretty well prepared with the right gear. Set up his camp and had a fire going very quickly. Shot a grouse for dinner.
    I think the language barrier and just being raised in Sweden caused most of the problems trying to help him in this post. They just do things differently in Sweden. In person he is very sociable and we got a good laugh now and then because of his poor English and my nonexistent Swedish. He is very savy and comfortable out in the woods. I figure most of you would like him if you met him. Property he bought unseen turned out to be very nice and south facing with big spruce, aspen and birch. After seeing the trail in he understood why we thought a 4 wheeler would be best for traveling around and skidding logs.
    Anyway he is alive and well and probably will stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by a1shiva View Post
    He has been out on his property for the last 10 days. Found all his property corners and has been brushing out the lines. Doesn't have any Internet with his phone. He has met with some of his neighbors. Plans on staying out there for 3 or 4 more days and then renting a vehicle to see a little more of Alaska.
    Seems to be very competent. Pretty well prepared with the right gear. Set up his camp and had a fire going very quickly. Shot a grouse for dinner.
    I think the language barrier and just being raised in Sweden caused most of the problems trying to help him in this post. They just do things differently in Sweden. In person he is very sociable and we got a good laugh now and then because of his poor English and my nonexistent Swedish. He is very savy and comfortable out in the woods. I figure most of you would like him if you met him. Property he bought unseen turned out to be very nice and south facing with big spruce, aspen and birch. After seeing the trail in he understood why we thought a 4 wheeler would be best for traveling around and skidding logs.
    Anyway he is alive and well and probably will stay that way.
    Yeah the language thing was pretty rough. Half the time I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Glad to hear he's a good guy....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah the language thing was pretty rough. Half the time I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Glad to hear he's a good guy....
    110% Agree.
    I was starting to really think it was jus a troll thread. Glad I was mistaken.

Good to hear. Glad to see someone living out their dream, and having it go well. Good communication is key to so many things in life.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789