Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 161 to 179 of 179

Thread: Go to Alaska from Sweden

  1. #161
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Most people on this forum have more experience than I do in the real Alaska bush...but this part

    "But also feel if you lack the funds to do this properly then you should continue saving your money for another time.
    I've seen people stuck in AK for lack of funds who had to get a job to earn enough to get home."

    ....is absolutely spot on. Where my cabin is (in the Mat Valley, ATV, d**n near "Road" accessible) 10 miles from the end of the road, I've seen 40 years worth of dreamers come to the end of the road or nearby property to "live the Alaska dream". With less than 5 exceptions (meaning I can count them on one hand), all have failed and end up living *******ized fringe existence in the backroads of the borough where they're not off the grid, but not living a productive life either.....and can't build up their economic reserves to "try again" or to get home or to move to Idaho or to......

    To the gentleman from Sweden, please take some of the advice here and, for goodness sake, if you're not prepared (financially, mentally, and physically) to undertake the challenges described herein, please stay home. All three types of prep are important, but the responses would seem to indicate a lack of money and a lack of mental prep by being unwilling to accept honestly offered advice.

    I believe it would be accurate to say that once a person is established in "bush" Alaska, they can get by on surprisingly low amounts of $$...conversely, getting established (in my experience) requires far more $$ than one often anticipates.....and in my often-not-very-humble opinion, blood sweat and tears doesn't entirely cover a shortfall of $$$.

    Best of Luck to you.
    Back in AK

  2. #162
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    swedish guy =

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  3. #163
    Member Derby06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    I land in Fairbanks in 35 days all alone, I do not know, I thought I would get a little more welcome when I come and greet in honorary country.
    Well you should have been on the ground for 2+ weeks now. How's things going?

  4. #164
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    Well you should have been on the ground for 2+ weeks now. How's things going?
    Just a guess but I'm betting we never hear from him again.
    He seems upset that we wouldn't loan him our boats, chainsaws, and/or ATV's.
    That coupled with the fact that people do not like to admit their failures to others makes me think he is done here.
    Unless by some miracle he has overwhelming success I don't expect a progress report.
    But I am curious as well and wish him the best of luck.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  5. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Richardson, Healy and Fairbanks
    Posts
    28

    Default

    He has been out on his property for the last 10 days. Found all his property corners and has been brushing out the lines. Doesn't have any Internet with his phone. He has met with some of his neighbors. Plans on staying out there for 3 or 4 more days and then renting a vehicle to see a little more of Alaska.
    Seems to be very competent. Pretty well prepared with the right gear. Set up his camp and had a fire going very quickly. Shot a grouse for dinner.
    I think the language barrier and just being raised in Sweden caused most of the problems trying to help him in this post. They just do things differently in Sweden. In person he is very sociable and we got a good laugh now and then because of his poor English and my nonexistent Swedish. He is very savy and comfortable out in the woods. I figure most of you would like him if you met him. Property he bought unseen turned out to be very nice and south facing with big spruce, aspen and birch. After seeing the trail in he understood why we thought a 4 wheeler would be best for traveling around and skidding logs.
    Anyway he is alive and well and probably will stay that way.

  6. #166
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a1shiva View Post
    He has been out on his property for the last 10 days. Found all his property corners and has been brushing out the lines. Doesn't have any Internet with his phone. He has met with some of his neighbors. Plans on staying out there for 3 or 4 more days and then renting a vehicle to see a little more of Alaska.
    Seems to be very competent. Pretty well prepared with the right gear. Set up his camp and had a fire going very quickly. Shot a grouse for dinner.
    I think the language barrier and just being raised in Sweden caused most of the problems trying to help him in this post. They just do things differently in Sweden. In person he is very sociable and we got a good laugh now and then because of his poor English and my nonexistent Swedish. He is very savy and comfortable out in the woods. I figure most of you would like him if you met him. Property he bought unseen turned out to be very nice and south facing with big spruce, aspen and birch. After seeing the trail in he understood why we thought a 4 wheeler would be best for traveling around and skidding logs.
    Anyway he is alive and well and probably will stay that way.
    Yeah the language thing was pretty rough. Half the time I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Glad to hear he's a good guy....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #167
    Member Derby06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah the language thing was pretty rough. Half the time I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Glad to hear he's a good guy....
    110% Agree.
    I was starting to really think it was jus a troll thread. Glad I was mistaken.

  8. #168
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Good to hear. Glad to see someone living out their dream, and having it go well. Good communication is key to so many things in life.

  9. #169
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Thank you for all the help Scott.

  10. #170
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,895

    Default

    Nice to see you made it safely!
    Seems you took some advice from here afterall and made it more of a camping vacation then cabin building and living off the land.
    Glad it all worked out well.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  11. #171
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I just finished reading this thread all in one go. I hope he comes back and tells us about his adventure. Anyways, I hope everything works out for him. One question i had is why all the effort to come to Alaska, when the Swedish far north is not all that different?

  12. #172
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    I just finished reading this thread all in one go. I hope he comes back and tells us about his adventure. Anyways, I hope everything works out for him. One question i had is why all the effort to come to Alaska, when the Swedish far north is not all that different?
    I suppose that can most likely be summed up with the old adage the grass is always greener.....

  13. #173
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    I just finished reading this thread all in one go. I hope he comes back and tells us about his adventure. Anyways, I hope everything works out for him. One question i had is why all the effort to come to Alaska, when the Swedish far north is not all that different?
    Hello again . Alaska is 3 times larger than Sweden and there are 10,000,000 people in Sweden. 1000000 people in Alaska. In Sweden you can not walk with rifles. All land is private. In Alaska you can go to the wilderness and survive. that's only 10% of the land that is private? . There was graous everywhere I saw. The people were nicer in Alaska and petrol and ammunition were 50% cheaper. I may come back August 22nd and try to build 4 walls 8x12 feet and roof.

  14. #174

  15. #175
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    Hello again . Alaska is 3 times larger than Sweden and there are 10,000,000 people in Sweden. 1000000 people in Alaska. In Sweden you can not walk with rifles. All land is private. In Alaska you can go to the wilderness and survive. that's only 10% of the land that is private? . There was graous everywhere I saw. The people were nicer in Alaska and petrol and ammunition were 50% cheaper. I may come back August 22nd and try to build 4 walls 8x12 feet and roof.
    Thank you for sharing your trip video

  16. #176
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Glad it went well for you. Those are similar reasons to why I left Virginia.

  17. #177
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    61 North
    Posts
    187

    Default

    I had my doubts about you at first, but you are living YOUR dream. Well done!

    We should all be so lucky.

  18. #178
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Thank you for checking back in and posting your video. Must've been quite the adventure for you.

    Maybe more animals and less underwear next time.



    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  19. #179
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Thank you for checking back in and posting your video. Must've been quite the adventure for you.

    Maybe more animals and less underwear next time.



    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks . more animals I want to see / eat next time. I ate bird for 12 days and fish for 3 days in the hayescreek.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •