Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Go to Alaska from Sweden

By putting ATV in the truck or on a trailer.

well then we are two that teach us

then I have to buy a pickup + purchase / lease ATV. what does this party cost.

I'll have to rent a donkey?

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    I'll have to rent a donkey?
    Hahaha what?

You may not need the atv if you're able to drive your truck to your property. But you won't know that until you see it.

After the snow melts perhaps myself or someone else can look at your land for you. Give you a better idea of the situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I have a friend in Alaska going up in May and take pictures of the property and send pictures to me

what about the donkey? I did not find anyone at creglist. so my backup plan is gone.

thanks . how do I get from Fairbanks to Himalayan road with an ATV
    du gör inte

You cannot drive ATV on paved roads. There are not trail systems next to the roads that can take you all the way.

You cannot drive a tractor on paved roads unless it has directional, brake, and head lights. The majority of small home use tractors do not have any lights.

köpa en gammal toyota lastbil

These old trucks are very handy for low cost getting into and out of the bush. You could probably buy one cheaper than buying a used ATV.

thanks . how do I get from Fairbanks to Himalayan road with an ATV
    You rent a truck and a trailer and haul it up there like you'll have to do with all of your supplies & equipment.

Nobody has the roads past September 2nd. Who have time to pick me up in Fairbanks for a $. Then I would save some worries. So can I wear the last mile?

Nobody has the roads past September 2nd. Who have time to pick me up in Fairbanks for a $. Then I would save some worries. So can I wear the last mile?
    I think he is saying road ends 1 mile before his property?

engblom, are there things you can bring from Sweden that may be of interest to Alaskans? That may make things cheaper if you can barter, or trade for services. Just thinking of ideas. Swedish guns? Swedish chainsaw? Swedish fish? That last one was in jest but you do have a unique opportunity to trade/barter with folks in the area.

Edit: are you a skilled cabin builder? perhaps you can train someone in your technique in trade for assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    I think he is saying road ends 1 mile before his property?
    I think it ends well before that, depending on how far out he is. People park at the pipeline and unload their 4-wheelers there to get in, and it's pretty far back. There are cabins up there but you'll see an awful lot of land in that subdivision for sale cheap on Craigslist and so on - I get the impression that people bought land there through the state land sales without looking at it, drove up and looked around, and decided to sell. In some cases it may be because they discovered that they'd bought land that burned in 2015, dunno.

I was thinking about buying up there but decided access was too much of a PITA for my particular situation. There are properties that are a lot more accessible on Himalaya Rd and while they're more expensive they're still very affordable. It's a really nice area for someone with dogs (I have a rec. team) and who loves the outdoors, but some parcels in the subdivision are not such a bargain when all is said and done.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I do not know what it would be like. Material costs as much in Sweden. I can repair old Volvo and old machinery / truck and dig excavator. Or work with everything.

Block 3 lot 25 ? Good or bad ?

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I think it ends well before that, depending on how far out he is. People park at the pipeline and unload their 4-wheelers there to get in, and it's pretty far back. There are cabins up there but you'll see an awful lot of land in that subdivision for sale cheap on Craigslist and so on - I get the impression that people bought land there through the state land sales without looking at it, drove up and looked around, and decided to sell. In some cases it may be because they discovered that they'd bought land that burned in 2015, dunno.

I was thinking about buying up there but decided access was too much of a PITA for my particular situation. There are properties that are a lot more accessible on Himalaya Rd and while they're more expensive they're still very affordable. It's a really nice area for someone with dogs (I have a rec. team) and who loves the outdoors, but some parcels in the subdivision are not such a bargain when all is said and done.
    This is the State's description of the access to the subdivision:

From mile 15 of the Elliott Highway turn west onto Himalaya Road. At mile 4.1 of
    Himalaya Road, turn north along the pipeline right-of-way for about half a mile
    then turn west on the trail that runs along the ridgeline. Proceed approximately
    3.5 miles to Hayes Creek Subdivision. ATVs or snowmachines may be needed
    from the pipeline right-of-way to the subdivision. These parcels are along a
    platted road right-of-way, which may not have been constructed.

I know how I find it. Has anyone been there? Did the cabins finish the 2015? Are they built after the fire? How big are birch trees? Spruce trees? . What is there for small games in the area? . Are there any fish in the area?

I know how I find it. Has anyone been there? Did the cabins finish the 2015? Are they built after the fire? How big are birch trees? Spruce trees? . What is there for small games in the area? . Are there any fish in the area?
    I can't answer all of your questions but you'll find many grouse on Himalaya rd. You'll probably be eating grouse for the month you're here.

Also, Chatanika river is very good for grayling(read regulations). Also Olnes pond for trout or grayling. You'll see the road to Olnes pond on your left before you get to Himalaya rd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

The state description to get there is outdated. Before you get to the pipeline the road makes an obvious Y and you stay to the right until hitting the pipeline. Access trail to the subdivision is directly across pipeline cut. I was told people drive in at least during the winter to some of the lots.

Does anyone know if you can access the Chatanika by going down the pipeline access? I know it crosses but was not sure how steep the hill is for an atv. Also how is Alyeska these days if you are using their pad with an atv or snowmobile? I see all the tracks and use it all the time in other areas just wondering if anyone has had any problems with Alyeska Security?
    The pipeline pad would be a quick access to the river for fishing. I have gone from Olnes pond to Murphy Dome road on the pad 25 years ago but don't remember what it looked like on the north side of the Chatanika.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast