Thread: Suggestions wanted - Rear Sight on Marlin GG

Default Suggestions wanted - Rear Sight on Marlin GG

I picked up a new Marlin Guide Gun, 45/70, stainless, a few months back to carry for bear protection when hiking and backpacking. The factory folding rear sight was always a bit of a nuisance, and recently the little spring that holds it up broke off during a hiking trip. I know that there are different sights available for the GG; I'd love to hear from folks what they would recommend, and why. Thanks for the input.

Canoe,

XS Sights formerly Ashley outdoors, has sights made just for the Marlin 1895 rifles. There are different models with protective wings or without for the rear and matching front ramped post. These are very durable, milled from steel and matte finished. They come with two different aperature sizes. Fully adjustable, quick to acquire and easy to install. Front and rear about $100, and worth every penny. Give them a try.

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't have a guide gun, but have handled and shot several examples that friends have. To my thinking, the wild west ghost ring is the way to go. http://www.wildwestguns.com/Accessor...cessories.html

You get increased sight radius, quick aquisition of the target, and the ghost ring is well protected by the "wings" on the sight.

Ashley outdoors also makes a ghost ring rear, but it looks too fragile to me.

Murphy and Paul,
    Thanks for the suggestions; I will check those out.

I had the rear sight made by Wild West and was not happy with it. The allen head set screw was so small I rounded it out the first time I tried to tighten it.
    The XS is the better choice.
    Tennessee

Default Marlin = XS

I am a big fan of the XS sight with there front post that has the white line on it. I do not care for the "wings" on "peep" sights. I have been using them since they first came out. Owner Ashley Emerson is a hunter and shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    or 1274 without the target knobs (not really needed-save a few bucks)

You can replace the insert with one with a larger hole or remove the insert and guesswhat? You have a "ghost sight".

You can reinstall the insert when you want finer accuracy such as on the range or hunting from a stand.

Have an xs sight on my 1895M, and just installed the xs lever rail with rear and front ghost ring on the 1895GS for a friend. I LOVE my xs sight!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Canoe,

XS Sights formerly Ashley outdoors, has sights made just for the Marlin 1895 rifles.....
    Ashley Outdoors makes lots of sight models for Marlin Guide guns. I'm a ghost ring man, and I got AO's ghost ring rear and front blade. They're well made, and the cost (mounted) was about $100.