Thread: 40 Mile R Float

Default 40 Mile R Float

Floated the 40 mile river last week from the S Fork bridge to the 40 mile bridge. First time I've been on the 40, we practically had the river to ourselves, a few local miners with suction dredges but no other floaters. The water level was fairly low but rose several feet within 48 hrs of our departure on saturday. As we drove back over the S Fork bridge we noticed the gravel bar we setup on 7/4 was under water. Campsites were few but the ones we found were great. This is a relaxing float with great geology and having burned a few years back actually made for great scenery, lots of fireweed on the hills. Round trip from Fbks was 680 miles. Spent 3 nights on the river, saw no moose, no caribou, 1 bear, BUT, between the 4 of us we used NO bug dope, can you believe that, no mosquitoes That alone made for a great trip.

Sounds like a good time was had by all. In several trips on the Fortymile I have in only one place encountered many mosquitoes. We usually had some, but not many. It's a great float with decent fishing. If it was closer to access I would consider it world class.

The 40 Mile is a great float. About 12 years ago my scout troop floated it from Chicken to the Yukon and down to Eagle. It was a great trip. We never saw anyone except for some miners either. I'd love to do that trip again sometime.

we did the float from S Fork Bridge to Eagle a few times. One of the miners told me about the grayling spots and we had fresh fish almost every night. NICE!