Thread: Figure 8 trail

Default Figure 8 trail

Anybody been out to F8 lately? What's the trail like? Thanks

Release Lake Trout

Bumpy just like it is all the time , I have not been there for 6 + years , fresh snow it will smooth it out some in the AM ,
    snow machine or ATV will make it. stay on the trail SID

Lumpy for the first 5 miles then not too bad.

watch out for the massive crater right at the F8 turn off. (thank a SxS)
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

No good reason to go to figure 8 anymore. Too much hassle for too little payout. That place used to be dynamite but those days are gone. There are better lakes that are much closer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Trail was ok the other day. There must of been a die off. Don't waste your time
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

I was interested in taking my SXS out to figure 8 but am unsureif I could make it out there and I'm sure the snomachiners would love that. Is there another place I can wheel my sxs into for pike?

Amber, Flathorn , Nancy , don't know about the trails to Red shirt what is legal for the trail,
    or fit ? but if it is legal, an fit the trail, Red shirt SID

FYI they are writing hefty fines for taking SXS off the pipeline trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRQAK View Post
    I was interested in taking my SXS out to figure 8 but am unsureif I could make it out there and I'm sure the snomachiners would love that. Is there another place I can wheel my sxs into for pike?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    FYI they are writing hefty fines for taking SXS off the pipeline trail.

Snow is too deep now for wheeled four wheelers. Remember people that live out there haul their supplies to their homesteads and it is hard as heck to negotiate ruts. Please respect the trail use for others who need it too. Good luck on your fishing!

has this lake been over fished or just no more pike to be caught? the last time I was at flathorn it really didn't pay off for going there only caught two pike.

I think there was a die off. Usually the lake is full of fresh water shrimp and last time out we saw only one swimming around in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    I think there was a die off. Usually the lake is full of fresh water shrimp and last time out we saw only one swimming around in the hole.
    I doubt it. Pike are a **** tough fish. Place has just been pounded with fisherman too many times. I'm surprised a paved road and boat launch haven't been constructed yet....
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ya I believe the place has been fished alot but not enough to fish em out, just saying the die off of shrimp was really weird to see as everytime I would go there the shrimp were thick. Pike have to be one of the toughest junk fish around right next to the burbot.
    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I doubt it. Pike are a **** tough fish. Place has just been pounded with fisherman too many times. I'm surprised a paved road and boat launch haven't been constructed yet....

Pike are very notional fish. It is a complete myth that they will bite anything, any time. One unsuccessful fishing trip cannot determine whether population is high or low. Biggest factor in winter is barometric pressure. If pressure is wrong, there can be a lake full of fish and you'd be convinced there isn't a fish alive there! Pressure is right, and same lake can produce 100 fish in a day. There's other things at play, too. Location, depth, food source, weeds, bait used, time of day, etc. One time on Figure 8 we fished next to 2 guys who fished 4 hours with one flag. We probably had 20 in the same time frame. We moved into their holes after they left, and caught quite a few from their holes. In that case, it was bait and equipment- the fish were biting, but if you had asked them, they would have said the lake wasn't worth going to.
    This is also a very tough time of year to fish pike. Their gums are soft, and they tend to bite very light, if at all.