Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide track or regular

Default Wide track or regular

So it looks like my 440LT Scandic is dead. I primarily used it for hauling wood and or hunting. So my question for the experienced out there is: How much less maneuverable in the woods is a WT than a conventional width long track? I don't like the new Tundra's so thinking of a Scandic WT 550F. My other machine did great with few problems till now. I think the WT would give me greater floatation in the woods where the base under you is always questionable.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I use this beast for hauling wood, hunting, and just tooling along. 2010 800cc super wide track (swt) 24 inch wide track. Is it heavy? Yep! 750 pounds worth of heavy. With me and the gear on it, it's probably 1000 pounds + heavy. It goes about anywhere. I am out alone all the time. I've never gotten stuck where I couldn't get it out alone. Anymore, I RARELY get stuck. I bring a rope hoist and at least 1 chainsaw as standard procedure. The wide footprint provides fantastic floatation. If/when u roll it on its side, it rolls slllowwwly. So I never have worried about being pinned. Most of the time u just stomp some snow under the tipped rig and u can easily tip it back upright. If u are still on the stump that tipped u, u may have to lean on the overturned machine a bit and motor off it forward or back a bit.
    I remember one day I had been out all day long and was exhausted. I was a block from home and instead of riding on the road I decided to take the ditch and while crossing the very last driveway (rock hard) berm I rolled it into the snow packed road. Try as I might, I could NOT lift that beast upright. So just 2 minutes from home I was forced to break out my rope hoist off the only nearby tree and rig to my sled to get back up. But hey, u gotta do what u gotta do.
    The only mechanical failure on the 4800 mile machine came when a bolt fell out of one side of the rear support rail. No telling how long I had been riding it that way but luckily the brackets other side broke right at home 80 ft from a warm garage.
    About the only drawback I can think of is the wide seating after a long day can almost cause my leg to cramp. The newer machines a certainly more comfy.
    If I get a new machine, mine will have that really quiet Etech motor. Man, my bud has his out w me and with good snow I can't even hear his from 150 ft away. That would be a huge plus for hunting purposes.
    My four cents, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Yea it sounds a lot like my Scandic. It usually goes through anything and I bought it for the lack of weight of the machine. I have 2 rope hoists so no problem there. I did roll mine once on a rocky slope to the downside and that was not fun getting it back over. I suppose that I just will have to carry anything I need for the off situation.

How is the steering though going through trees? I usually find a tree, go past it in a big loop and come back on my same trail. Rarely get stuck that way and I have a path to get me started out again.

I've got a 2005 550f wt and my dad has a 2006 swt 550f. I used to have a couple mid nineties Skandic long tracks that I thought were great until getting the newer Skandic wt. You won't have any problems winding through the trees. Plus you can do it in low range. If for some reason you can't make a turn just back it up. Unlike my older long tracks which might back up a couple feet in deep snow the wt and swt will back up and even go forward again. Biggest problem backing up is they will jam snow up around your feet and running boards. Watch a couple videos of them on utube. Wt is more comfortable to ride than swt because of a 4 inch narrower seat. I have no doubt the wt would pull both of my long tracks backwards at the same time. The only downside of the 550f is it burns a lot of gas. My dad is in his mid 80s and just plugs along making his own trails occasionally over trees that would make my Argo grunt. Between the under seat storage and both electric and pull start they are a great machine. Almost bought a new one last year but I go out by myself a lot and the new ones have to many changes and electronics that I can't fix out on the trail but they are pretty.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am thinking more and more of the WT this time. I have buried the Scandic before but it was in deep snow towing a large Otter sled full of firewood. I do not go all that fast. I like to look around as I drive too so no bombing around.

What a1 said about backing up to around a tree if one needs to. If the tree isn't more than 3 inches around, it gets run over. It pays brush no mind at all. I hardly ever take mine out of low range. Only do on existing hard pack trails. Even then only rarely.
    Gas milage on mine must be about 20 mpg.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Buy a WT with the 600 ACE and be happy. In the WT, you'd have to put a (big) gun to my head to get me to buy the 550F, and I have a Tundra with the 550.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have a 2012 skandic wt 600ace of a buddies that he's selling. Used it on my last trip out. Amazing what that thing can do. Has tourque like crazy and can't even tell your hauling a trailer. Broke trail for 50 miles in a foot of fresh snow and burned 4.5
    Gallons of gas. Not a mountain sled but it gets moving just about no matter which way it's pointed. Was impressed.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hey Dave, I IM'd you about one for sale locally.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtraphuntalaska1984 View Post
    Hey Dave, I IM'd you about one for sale locally.

Got back to you.

I have a 16 bearcat 570 fan. Love it! One thing to think about if your out by yourself a lot. My 3.5 yr old daughter got wet in some overflow a few days ago. Was able to get her dried out pretty quick by putting her boots, snow pants etc over the fan outlet and keeping her warm with my coat by the fire while her stuff dried out. The ACE gets great fuel milage, but had I not been able to get her gear dried out with the fan it would have been a completely different day for her. Yes I could have dried it out by the fire but it would have taken much longer. My vote for an adventure sled is a fan for this very reason! The bearcat does great in the woods and steers much easier than the skandics I have ridden and the seat / riding position is much more comfortable! The tall windshield on it makes it a joy to ride on the really cold days as well.

A friend of mine has 2 of the SWT with the 600 ACE (no longer a choice)- his son rides a Tundra LT and they ride and hunt in the same places. Obviously can't side hill as easily, so he just picks a route and goes up. He loves the fuel economy and quiet ride of the 600 ACE when hunting. I recently got Yamaha VK540's for me and my wife which have 20"x156"x1.5" tracks (I wanted fan cooled and pull start and got screaming deal at Big Lake Yamaha), and I am really happy with the flotation. One advantage to newer (ish) sleds is having articulating rear track so when you do need to back up you actually can make progress instead of plowing. I have heard nothing but good about the ACE 600, 900 or the 800 ETEC. Good luck with choosing.

I have 2012 swt 600 ace with 4000 miles for sale. Amazing sled. Not a side hilling sled but man can it float and haul a load.
    Master guide 212

Actually today I ordered a Scandic WT 600 Ace and I pick it up on Friday. Got the front bumper, rear bumper, skins and skidplate. Thanks for all the help guys. Probably my last machine but might as well get a good one.

Keep it covered in the summer when the wind blows and when you trailer it.
    Master guide 212

I have a high speed protection package that should help. :-)

Let me start by saying I know nothing about snow machines or 4x4s so I have to ask what is the difference between a 4x4 w/4tracks and a snow machine? It seems to me the 4x4 w/4 tracks will go pretty much anyplace at anytime of year and more power to haul more stuff, wouldn't they be a better choice?

A 4x4 with tracks will go 60% of the places a real snowmachine will get to. New sleds can have over 160hp now, and almost all of the liquid cooled are over 100. They also have a better power/weight ratio, since they will weigh around 600lbs in riding condition, vs a 1000 for a 4x4. Flotation is key in the snow.

You also don't see any tracked 4x4s going up anything very steep, the tracks tend to dig in and you can't use body english as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Let me start by saying I know nothing about snow machines or 4x4s so I have to ask what is the difference between a 4x4 w/4tracks and a snow machine? It seems to me the 4x4 w/4 tracks will go pretty much anyplace at anytime of year and more power to haul more stuff, wouldn't they be a better choice?
    Where I live, Valdez, a 4 x 4 with tracks would be useless in the snow and places I go. Sometimes the snow is 4' deep and your busting over alders and willows. It would be too wide to fit between the trees too. A Scandic or Tundra are about the narrowest machines you can get for going through the woods. Some people call them tippy, and they can be. I carry a block and tackle to get mine out and 100' of rope. Sometimes you have to disconnect, winch the wood sled out and go from there. It can get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Where I live, Valdez, a 4 x 4 with tracks would be useless in the snow and places I go. Sometimes the snow is 4' deep and your busting over alders and willows. It would be too wide to fit between the trees too. A Scandic or Tundra are about the narrowest machines you can get for going through the woods. Some people call them tippy, and they can be. I carry a block and tackle to get mine out and 100' of rope. Sometimes you have to disconnect, winch the wood sled out and go from there. It can get interesting.
    Seems to me the four wheeler w/tracks is going to have a wider footprint and not sink into the snow as deep as the single track machines - yes, no sometimes??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast