Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide track or regular

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Seems to me the four wheeler w/tracks is going to have a wider footprint and not sink into the snow as deep as the single track machines - yes, no sometimes??
    A Scandic would be 3080 sq.in. Best I can find for tracks is 2000-2247 sq.in. From what I have "read" you also loose 40% in power with tracks.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, Sorry I got on this thread too late. I have two of the 800 Skandic SWT (08 and 09) I love them for hauling and haul they will. The four stoke is awesome for fuel. I don't like that there is no pull start. I have had to add the stronger "springs/arms" in the back to support the loads I haul, which would have been nice to know when I first got the machines from the dealer. I know my next sled will be a 20" track not the 24". I would have looked hard at the Bear Cat with the 20" track.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A Scandic would be 3080 sq.in. Best I can find for tracks is 2000-2247 sq.in. From what I have "read" you also loose 40% in power with tracks.
    Is that 2000Sqin per track or all four combined?

Thanks for putting up with my questions

Is that 2000Sqin per track or all four combined?

Thanks for putting up with my questions
    Yes as far as I can see it is for all four. They are not all that big.

I was going to go with tracks on my prowler and a cab kit, would be about the same price as my bearcat was.. the dealer talked me out of the track kit. I have played with them and on hard packed snow or trails they are OK. You loose a ton of speed and you end up breaking parts on your SxS or wheeler. What you end up with is not quite a snomachine and no longer an easy to maneuver 4 wheeler that goes fast. I chose to get a sled that was intended for what I wanted to do and I have ZERO regrets!

Yea, I am with the KISS method of doing anything. More parts = more things can go wrong. I know of someone that put tracks on a pickup. Tried to get back into the bush with it, and did for about 25 miles. When the things fell apart one of the crew walked out to hire a helicopter to air lift the tires in. $$$$

Supporting Member

Default Wide track or regular

I have a CanAm 4 wheeler with tracks and it is pretty amazing where it will go. Good flotation in deep snow, no problem climbing steep icy trails, great towing and hauling capacity. And I can put the wheels back on in the summer.

Only negative is that it is much slower than a sled. For hunting it is fine, but if you want to play or climb hills for fun get a snow machine.

I spent some time looking into the track options. The other big disadvantage to the wheeler or sxs with tracks is they do not meet the legal definition of a snowmachine for some land managers, like AK State Parks. So there are some access, legal issues depending where you want to use it.

I think I will be looking at an Expedition Sport or smaller Bearcat instead.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    I spent some time looking into the track options. The other big disadvantage to the wheeler or sxs with tracks is they do not meet the legal definition of a snowmachine for some land managers, like AK State Parks. So there are some access, legal issues depending where you want to use it.

I think I will be looking at an Expedition Sport or smaller Bearcat instead.
    I have not had any issues with that. You can license a tracked ATV as a snow machine in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaENGR1 View Post
    I have not had any issues with that. You can license a tracked ATV as a snow machine in AK.
    Now to really show my ignorance, I didnt realize they needed to be licensed since they are off road vehicles... Do you need to pass a test (written or driving) to operate one?

How are the newer wt and swt for snow coming over the hood and covering the headlight and air vents in deeper snow. Pain in the butt on my 2005 wt at night. End up using a good led headlamp to help see where I'm going. Thinking about mounting a small led light bar right above the headlight and hope its vertical lens will keep snow off.

Now to really show my ignorance, I didnt realize they needed to be licensed since they are off road vehicles... Do you need to pass a test (written or driving) to operate one?
    I register mine because I use them on "State" and "Federal" lands. Pretty sure that is required.

The 2012 swt 600ace I ran this winter had snow covering the headlights a lot breaking trail in 2' plus of sugar snow. Less snow than that wasn't a problem at all.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Mine is sitting out in the conex waiting insurance and tags. I should be moving on Monday!

It is actually a registration and not a license . All snowmachines and ATVs are supposed to be registrated if they are driven on public lands . A lot of people will not do it regardless of where they use them. You can get a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaENGR1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    It is actually a registration and not a license . All snowmachines and ATVs are supposed to be registrated if they are driven on public lands . A lot of people will not do it regardless of where they use them. You can get a ticket.
    Snowmachines yes, ATV's no.

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/snow.htm
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Yes register is the right word, sorry for the confusion. No test just pay a fee.

The state actually registers "snow vehicles". Both snow machines and tracked ATVs meet that definition. ATVs with normal tires would not.

20170228_123129.jpg
    Well the 04 Scandic decided she needed new fuel lines and the battery won't work. But she made it thru another wood hauling season of busting alders and willows. She is a beast and just goes thru anything. I am done, that is enough of a workout for now. We need snow now, the 17 Scandic WT 600 4-stroke is sitting in the boat barn waiting patiently.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-28-2017 at 15:22.

I am anxiously awaiting a pic of your new ride, Dave. Thought u would have had it out of the barn by now.
    Just got back from an afternoon ride myself. Dang, actually had to break out the rope hoist twice. Just got done pulling my sled out of a collapsed ice bridge in a back slough and got back on the main river bed when I found myself in this predicament.

Why? Because an ice bridge collapsed under me. I had just enough momentum to clear it but rolled over from under me.

Too tired from the work I had just done to get it out of the slough bottom, I couldn't lift the machine upright. So I once again broke out the rope hoist and stood the sled upright. Luckily, I had a piece of webbing w me cuz my rope in the hoist was 5 ft too short to the nearest usable alder tree.
    Sure glad I made it completely across the ice bridge and that the machine did not come down on me in the creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Wrong side up is not a good thing. The old Scandic was one of the lightest machines made at that time. I'd hate to flip the new one. I'll drive it out for a pic tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast