Thread: Possible Relocation to Kenai Peninsula

Default Possible Relocation to Kenai Peninsula

Hi everyone,

I'm coming up to the Kenai Peninsula in about two weeks for a job interview. If all goes as planned I'll get the job and begin my move up north. I'd be moving my wife and two young sons from North Dakota. Are there any of you that have made this move before? Any do and don'ts? Things to think of? I appreciate all the help.

Enjoy the trip, I had a really good time. Get a Milepost book.

First things first. Get the job. After you get settled in, join the Kenai Peninsula Outdoor Club (it's a meetup group) and get out and play. I'm guessing Soldotna might indicate a job in the medical field.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Taking the Ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) from Washington is a nice way to go as you can relax and enjoy the view instead of focusing on driving. This time of year it only goes to Haines and then you would have to drive the rest of the way. In the spring you can take the ferry all the way to whittier. If you take the ferry and can afford it, a cabin is money well spent. If you don't get a cabin pack a tent you can set up on the back deck and camp out. If you take the ferry during winter you will be driving part way through Canada so don't forget passports and forget about bringing any hand guns.

If you do have any firearms such as rifles and shotguns you will need to get them registered with Canada before getting to the border. I left my handguns with a friend and flew back with them after going back to visit. I forget how much it costs but it wasn't bad.

If you are driving I second getting a copy of the mile post as it will have a lot of useful information on places to stay.

I can't offer a lot of advice on driving but if you have specific questions about the ferry let me know.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely get a mile post book. I have lots to think about and plan in order to get up there on a budget, but I cant wait to get there and see it all!

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

It's been nearly 20 years since we made the move, our kids were 3 years old and 7 months old at the time. Needless to say frequent stops for feedings and diapers.

Best advice I can give on moving is it's expensive, so unless an item is a family heirloom, valuable or you can't live without it, you're best off having a big garage sale to pare down to what you really need and ease the load when moving. We managed pulling a 14' enclosed trailer with our truck, and a friend drove our car pulling a small 4'-8' trailer I enclosed with plywood. I wouldn't use one of those small utility trailers again, the tires are fragile (7 flats) the steel is wimpy (bent axle and tongue that had to be replaced/repaired at the start of the Alcan) as well as beefed up springs.

When driving, carry extra gas, basic tools and spare fluids. Other than the problems with the little trailer, no breakdowns on the vehicles or flat tires. When planning out your trip, realize a realistic average speed is 50 mph so plan your days accordingly. It's better to take a couple extra days, enjoy the trip as much as possible and enjoy the sights along the way with your wife and kids. If you don't already have a good digital camera, I'd recommend investing in one if you can afford it. It's a trip of a lifetime, well worth documenting.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

If you are moving to Soldotna, there are lots of stores to purchase anything you will need, there is a huge Fred Meyer, a huge Wal Mart in Kenai 6 miles away, a Sportsman's Warehouse, Safeway for groceries, Bailey's furniture store. There is not a GMC, Chevy dealer left, but some of the local garages can take care of most of your auto needs. While you are there for the job interview get some time driving around. This time of year, not many people, wait till July, the town of Soldotna will double in population. Anchorage is a good 3 hour drive around Turnagain Arm. There is not wild game for hunting just outside of town unless you have special privileges, The wild game will run thru the front yards, but you cannot harvest it. Fishing in the summer gets crowded, so you will probably want to get a boat to run the Kenai to get a little ways from the people crowd. I recommend going fishing with a guide the first couple times to get the lay of the river. Lots of hiking trails in the area, but there are lots of bears and moose also. Get to know some of the locals and they will help you out. Have fun, good luck on your interview. Gerberman

I did forget one thing. I am not sure if you have a lot of "stuff" but if you do and you do not own a trailer to haul it in don't be afraid to buy a nice enclosed trailer down south and use it to haul your stuff in. Thats what a buddy and I did when we came up. I believe we paid around $9,000 for it and when we arrived we checked out craigslist and they were going for twice that so we posted it for $18,000 or so and someone took it off our hands within an hour or two even though the tires were junk. He wanted it so bad he helped us move our stuff out of it and all.

The roads may not be open to drive up this time of year, better call and double check before you make plans

I drove up last Sept., PM if you need more info

first of all good luck with your interview. I've driven the alcan more times than i can remember and its been a very enjoyable trip EVERY time.the mile post is a must have on the first time trip as it will let you know whats ahead and HOW FAR AHEAD. extra fuel,basic tools,a good spare and a GOOD jack would be advised. I've never driven it in the summer and have been delayed getting threw a pass or two over the years but never over a day or so. as said before no need to bring anything your thinking you cant get up here as its all available however it will be more expensive. when i was younger i would make the 4000 mile trip in 4 days but now will not push that hard and take 6 or 7 days and that is a nice pace. don't expect much of a wildness hunting and fishing paradise near Soldotna as that's not the case here. next to no game in the area and crowded fishing when the fish are in with a VERY complicated set of boundaries/game management units and sub units and regs . however this doesn't mean that AWESOME opportunity doesn't exist if you explore a bit. just don't expect the locals to fill you in on all that much. this site is a wealth of knowledge and can be very helpful in the learning curve. I by no means am an expert, but if you would like any of my thoughts i would be more than willing to give you my humble opinion. again good luck!

Make sure you have AAA coverage and at least two spare tires...one time I broke down, had to hitch hike 20 miles to Liard Hotsprings to use the phone and back, tow truck driver couldn't find me the first day...came back the second and hauled me in to Fort Nelson...he drove 400 miles total...then let me sleep on his couch! ....the Alcan is always interesting....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I believe we paid around $9,000 for it and when we arrived we checked out craigslist and they were going for twice that so we posted it for $18,000 or so and someone took it off our hands within an hour or two even though the tires were junk.
    Wow, is there really that much of a demand for enclosed trailers up there?

If so that's a great idea.

Again thanks for the info everyone.

Yes there is. I know guys that pretty much make their living driving up and back flipping trailers. Buy a 4 place enclosed snowmachine trailer down there. Drive it up and sell it here not only for what you paid for it, but enough to more than pay your fuel bill coming up.

Well my wife said yes! We will be heading up early next month. Thanks for all the advice, its much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post

Did you get this yet?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Did you get this yet?
    I did. Nearly everyone I talked to recommended the book. Sounds like an invaluable resource.

Did you make it up?