Thread: Colville River Info

Default Colville River Info

Hello,

I am hoping to do a mixed float hunt with my father on the colville river this August with emphasis towards Caribou. I intend to put in on the Etivluk and continue to the Killik confluence or umiat. I realize migration patterns are hard predict but what weeks in August would you recommend planning for to insure best odds of success? Also would you consider a small outboard to be necessary? I am behind the curve for booking a flight so I would also appreciate any charter recommendations as well as any info you have on brown bear in the area. I have already done some research including purchasing and reading Float Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers which has been a great help. Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

you should be aware of four facts before pulling the trigger on this hunt:

1. Moose have declined 50% or more in that region in the past few years, so dont expect to see many. I've hunted it the last 2 years and it's a brutally long hunt with foul weather and extremely low moose density. I've seen 1 moose in 300 miles of river floating there the past 2 years. The only mixed bag to expect is weather patterns and disappointment in the cost/value assessment.

2. Caribou have declined by 50% and will be scattered bands. Success has dropped but if you're patient you might do okay...but it's an expensive hunt.

3. WSA16-01 as opened the door for whats to come for GMU 26A, so you might see another Federal public lands closure for caribou there this season. April will likely be when this is announced by the FSB, if it happens...

4. The Etivluk is a bad choice. Parts of it during August/September go subterranean especially in low-water scenarios (common). watch my youtube videos from this region to help you prepare.
    https://pristineventures.com

Thanks for the response Larry. Due to the factors you listed and to native land along the colville I am currently looking more into the canning river/marsh fork. Wether good or bad I have not yet booked flights and know my dates may be limited due to my lateness. I had been researching and decided on south brooks rivers geared towards moose but work is preventing me from making the trip in September. Now I am having to scramble and spend lots of time trying to make an informed decision on an August caribou river. I also really like the kongakut but may need another trip under my belt before running the river confidently and the price is very high as well.