Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: missing plane ancorage to soldotna

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Was it an IFR flight......???
    dunno.

VERY glad they were found alive, and speculation is of course pointless... But I just have to wonder how that happened. I've flown that route many times, and can't wrap my head around ending up by Lake Chakachamna (allegedly). Perhaps sight seeing on the way home? Don't recall the weather in that direction on Sunday.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Heard that too. Hands raised in the air in thanks. Celebrating here.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

So many times these things don't turn out the way we hope and pray. Tonight there are families rejoicing. I am too.

Thankful they had a fully operational ELT with a good battery.

That is fantastic news!

And where they ended up for whatever reason is exactly why I never fly without my inReach satellite tracking my exact location every two minutes. If I ever go down I will be within two minutes the last location. inReach has a S.O.S button also, and can send and receive text messages.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

so awesome !!! was really getting worried as darkness was approaching again. i haven't heard their condition yet?? other than alive.

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    so awesome !!! was really getting worried as darkness was approaching again. i haven't heard their condition yet?? other than alive.
    The Nazarene Church has been posting that they are 'fine'

I think that it was mention on the news that some of the smaller planes had tryed to go over on the west side and started running into icing so they came back to the east side.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    dunno.

VERY glad they were found alive, and speculation is of course pointless... But I just have to wonder how that happened. I've flown that route many times, and can't wrap my head around ending up by Lake Chakachamna (allegedly). Perhaps sight seeing on the way home? Don't recall the weather in that direction on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    That is fantastic news!

And where they ended up for whatever reason is exactly why I never fly without my inReach satellite tracking my exact location every two minutes. If I ever go down I will be within two minutes the last location. inReach has a S.O.S button also, and can send and receive text messages.

Do you know who gets the SOS? Who is coming and when? Who gets the 2 minute tracks?
    Folks, this is a classic case for having a 406 elt. They might not even have got cold. Please use this as an opportunity to get educated. The debate has long past. $450 Gets a ACK 406

I'm glad this ended well! Truly- no price on human life!! That is for sure.

Btw. I have an Inreach and love it but you are talking apples and oranges.

Edit-not meant as personal, barnstormer.

Prayers were answered!
    Fantastic news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure glad to hear about the happy ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The 121.5 signals can bounce around and give some pretty odd APPARENT Locations.
    In all of my years of search flights with the CAP the ELT was almost never where it was thought to be.

That's odd. I thought the CAP had DF capabilities. My planes had DF 88 equipment installed. The needle ALWAYS pointed directly to the signal (worked for more than 100 miles) and, when the needle reversed itself, I could look down and ALWAYS see the source of the 121.5 signal . . .

121.5 has been outdated for many years. These folks were incredibly lucky. I bet their next plane has a 406.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Do you know who gets the SOS? Who is coming and when? Who gets the 2 minute tracks?....Edit-not meant as personal, barnstormer.
    Agreed that it is not a replacement for a 406 ELT, it's a supplement.

The inReach S.O.S. goes to the GEOS emergency monitoring center. You'll receive delivery confirmation on the inReach that help is on the way and you can maintain a 2-way text conversation with the GEOS emergency monitoring center.

The 2 minute tracks (default is 10 minutes) are an upgraded subscription. Tracks are plotted on a web page that you can share with anyone.

You can also send and receive text messages with anyone at any time, and get weather forecasts.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

Lots of us have Inreach devices. Most of us know they aren't a substitute for a 406 aircraft ELT. Your initial post presented it as a substitute. Personally I use a Spidertracks unit. It's far more capable than my Inreach for airplane use but I still have a 406 ELT. My trackers are for my wife and family. My 406 ELT is for me.

Yeah sorry Phil. That was my only point. Clarifying it as "additional" equipment. Ive owned an Inreach several years. I like it.

Stewart put it best I suppose- spidertracks/Inreach/whatever for mom and kids. 406ELT for you

It's crazy to me people are still willing to take such a risk..... jeez, lost 2 days between soldotna and anc!

Four-Zero-Six
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Yeah sorry Phil. That was my only point. Clarifying it as "additional" equipment. Ive owned an Inreach several years. I like it.

Stewart put it best I suppose- spidertracks/Inreach/whatever for mom and kids. 406ELT for you

It's crazy to me people are still willing to take such a risk..... jeez, lost 2 days between soldotna and anc!
    That's a whole nother conversation. Their flight plane was anc to kenai. Yet they were found across cook inlet on the west side. They didn't fly their flight plan. Now maybe weather pushed them that way? Who knows. My point is whether it's a flight, float,hunting ect plan stuck to it. Or let someone know when you decide to deviate from it. There were alot of folks looking for them where they SAID they were going to be vs where they actually went.

The latest update on ADN stated that the pilot had possibly headed to the west side to avoid weather. Unknown why he decided to land (running out of light or fuel?) and ended up upside-down. "No perceptible injuries" is what the helo pilot reported.

When I heard about the missing plane I automatically assumed it would be somewhere on the peninsula. I guess most of us did. I wonder if anyone thought to ask Lake Hood tower which way they departed? I wouln't have thought of it then but it seems obvious now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast