Thread: Island Point Lodge

Default Island Point Lodge

I hope this is posted in the right place! I am going to Alaska for the first time and our destiniation next month will be Island Point Lodge. I am very excited and cant wait to get my hands on some real Alaskan fishing.

Has anyone else out there been to this lodge? I am curious as to anything your experience would offer. I know sometimes it takes time to really get a grasp for the best ways to utilize a lodge or location for the first time and am also curious of any other things that would bring or do while there that may not be obvious for a first timer.

I am also wondering if you think i should plan on shipping my clothes and items back so i can take an extra cooler with me to bring home my catch? Would you pack only for a day or two and reuse and wash clothing there to limit what i bring or would you pack for everyday?

I know i asked a lot and I really appreciate all your help!

Brian

Alaska August 2007!

Default Where?

Is that Island Point outside of Petersburg?

Default RE: Where?

Yeah it is located outside Petersburg.

Default August

Showing up at that time of year you should be able to do really well on Cohos and Halibut. With the new Guided halibut fishing regs you may want to harrass the lodge about spots nearby that you can run one of the lodge skiffs by yourself. Coho's will be good fishing spinners withing minutes of the lodge. I would fly up with your cloths and maybe one cooler, you can always have Coastal Cold Storage ship your fish in boxes. Or Island point my do that themselves. You could put a colapsable duffel and all your clothes in 2 coolers, then when you leave you can put your clothes in the duffel, pack the 2 coolers with fish and just pay the $50 extra bag fee.

Hi Brian, I will be at Island Point Lodge in late August, too. This will be my third visit there. My fishing partner, Bill, will be there for the fourth time. They will do their best there to point you at the fish and show you how to catch them. And they feed you very well. The lodge owners and staff that I have met will never win any personality contests, but the guests usually provide all the "color" you will need. Frank and his staff get the job done well. And that's what is most important to me and Bill.

In my experience, the fish are where you find them. If the silvers are coming in to spawn, there are places right next to the lodge to try for them on a rising tide, tossing spinners from the boats the lodge provides. If they aren't coming in when you are there, then you have to explore, troll, or go to plan B. For us, plan B is bottom fishing for halibut. For halibut, too, they are where you find them. We have accumulated a bunch of spots to fish for them. Some days, a spot will produce like mad, but others it seems to be barren. We are not afraid to move or travel far to find an active spot. Our last trip up was a few years ago. We ended up in Snow Pass which is more than 20 miles from the lodge. But we found awesome fishing there. I would hate to make that kind of trip and find the fishing isn't good, though. But it is fishing. We have had days that we got skunked.

Another thing we do to give us an advantage is bring along electronics. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend that has the region's marine navigation info loaded into it. This is a small pocket sized device that will help you locate the underwater rises and dropoffs that are potential halibut fishing spots. I also bring a fish finder (which is not so pocket-sized when you need a portable transducer bracket, cables for transducer and for power from the boat's battery, console mount, and the unit itself). It has proven invaluable in helping to verify the depth and conditions under the boat and spot schooling salmon.

I hope this helps. If you want any more info, I will be glad to offer what I can. I am also always on the lookout for information on specific fishing spots for halibut, ling cod, and rockfish in the Petersburg area....from eastern Fredrick Sound down through the Wrangell Narrows and eastern Sumner Strait as far west as Snow Pass. If anyone has any coordinates to share, I am sure Brian would appreciate it as much as we would.

Good luck fishing!

Dale

Hey guys thanks for the great responses. Dale whats the date in August you will be up there? We are going with a good size group for arrival on the 17th. I will be sure to post a report of the locations that work well for us. This is going to be one great trip!

Thanks again,
    Brian

We will be up on August 25th, the week after you, Brian. Good luck to you and your party. I will post about our results sometime during the first week of September.

Again, if anyone knows of any productive spots for lingcod, rockfish, etc, would love to get information.

Thanks

Dale

Default Island Point Lodge

Hi Brian; Wondered how yor trip went and what your thoughts our on Island Point. I fished there 4 years ago in July and have made reservations for July 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
    Hi Brian; Wondered how yor trip went and what your thoughts our on Island Point. I fished there 4 years ago in July and have made reservations for July 2008.

I will post a review a little later for you! I have been meaning to just been trying to catch up at work. Let me see what i can put together at lunch time for you.