Thread: Prop Re-Pitch: Anyone In Anchorage?

Default Prop Re-Pitch: Anyone In Anchorage?

Anyone in Anchorage that can re-pitch a prop?

Thanks.

Default I use Piranha

www.piranha.com
    Can change my pitch in a couple minutes

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    www.piranha.com
    Can change my pitch in a couple minutes
    Yah, I already have a Piranha for when I go up into shallow water. I am looking to get one of my stainless props re-pitched.

Default Is it possible?

Isn't the pitch the fixed blade angle? How would you change that? I'm a boating newbee, so I'm just curious.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Someone really good with pliers I'm sure they have machines to get the pitch changed properly in all the blades. A manager I work with used to run a prop shop in anchorage, I'll see if he knows of any.

Just talked to my manager. He said A-1 prop in anchorage 344-prop can do it, but you're limited with what can be done on outboard props. You can't change the pitch at the root, so effectively only re-pitch the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the blade. You can add an inch of pitch, but adding 2 inches is pushing it. Some props are made out of junk alloy so aren't valid candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Just talked to my manager. He said A-1 prop in anchorage 344-prop can do it, but you're limited with what can be done on outboard props. You can't change the pitch at the root, so effectively only re-pitch the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the blade. You can add an inch of pitch, but adding 2 inches is pushing it. Some props are made out of junk alloy so aren't valid candidates.
    Yup, I called them this afternoon and I found they can reduce the pitch one (1) inch too.

I have a Raker 14.5" x 20" pitch that is just a little too much for my boat. I can get 5150-5200 rpms out of my 175, so all I need to do is pick up another 200 rpms and I think it'll work well. I am trying out a Viper 14.75" x 19" pitch that I feel is working quite well, I can get 5400 rpms from it, and good fuel economy, but it just doesn't have the bow lifting ability of the Raker.

I had A-1 Prop re-pitch a 30 hp outboard prop once. It was a new brass prop that was as flat as I could get at 13" pitch, but I had them beat it down to about 11" to push an inflatable cataraft. Before they did their stuff I could not get it up on step unless traveling very light. I couldn't get enough RPMs, to develop any power. Afterwards, I could get it up with just about any reasonable load. It wouldn't go quite as fast when the boat was empty, but the rest of the time it was great. I was impressed.

This engine worked great as a kicker motor on a large boat too. Weighed about as much as a 25hp, but pushed the big boat like it was a 50hp.

A1 did a great job, no vibration or cavitation issues, just a great performance boost. Stainless, of course, is more difficult to work with.