Thread: First Trip to Homer

Question First Trip to Homer

Man I'm excited but I'm a Maryland fisherman. Well let's say I'm a pretty decent novice - bottom fishing for perch, blues, spot, croakers etc.

Next week I arrive in Homer for a first time Alaskan experience, July 16 - 21. Myself and two others will be fishing on our own. One of us have been to Alaska before and is said to be pretty familiar...However I'd like to do my own research. So here I am seeking advice.

Clearly I have no fly equipment-it seems to be a little expensive to dive into just for the trip, so I'd like to simply use my spincast gear.

Can you guys suggest what's best, rod type, line, etc. We will be fishing the Kenai and Russian Rivers I'm told. (are there any spots that we should add to that?) I'm also hearing that the Kings are finished for the most part and I should expect more Reds. Maybe some Silvers and Dollys in the Homer Spit.

Any helpful feedback is welcome and will be deeply appreciated. We do plan on a charter trip or two for some halibut but I'm told not get too concerned there because tackle will be provided.

Mid sized rod and reel. Say 20lb test and gear to match. That should work in any spot. You can buy "russian river flies" at any tackle shop, but I just make sure I use a legal sized hook for where I'm fishing and then put some pink yarn on it. (yarn fly). That is for reds, I use vibrax (a 4 or 5) for silvers.

One thing you MUST have is a reg book as they are very complicated and change from river to river, and even within rivers (ie Kenai).

Where you will be at there are a TON of fishing places. Don't ignore the anchor for silvers and trout. You might want to try a hand a clam digging at Clam gulch down the road from homer. YOu would need to buy a tube (PVC pipe that catches clams). Also try the Kasilof at crooked creek. A lot less people than the Kenai and you have to drive right by it.

Beyond that just talk to other fishermen. Almost everyone I meet fishing up here is pretty friendly. I know I give advice when asked. Good luck!

Where in Maryland are you from? I grew up in Silver Spring.

Rods for Reds. Med action rod will work fine (ulgy stick) on the Russian. I like the P-Line in #25 test. Make sure you use the correct hook size here. Check the regs.

Silver in homer lagoon same rod as above.
    Here they use Vibrex lure, bobber with either a herring or roe under it.

Fly rods I use a lamiglass 6wt. but I would suggest a 8wt.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the feedback...both of you guys have been helpful....I'm from Upper Marlboro, MD. I'm set on most things now except for the little things,
    I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something(lol)....I need a good list of incidentals. My gear, tackle, medium rods(3) w/reels, 20lb line, I'll wait on the hooks and flies til I get there. Spinners? Some good socks(no holes), wader repair kit, gonna run out and check on the Vibrax lures today and some inexpensive wading boots being so that I picked up some stockingfoot chest high waders. Probably need some skeeter repellent too hunh?
    Got a real good feeling 'bout this trip.
    Any other lures used, freshwater or saltwater or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Rods for Reds. Med action rod will work fine (ulgy stick) on the Russian. I like the P-Line in #25 test.
    Hey Gray,

I love P-Line! When you put the line on the reel do you load it with the line spool face up or down? I ran into some twisting issues. The twist came out when I was snagging reds in Main Bay!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Hey Gray,

I love P-Line! When you put the line on the reel do you load it with the line spool face up or down? I ran into some twisting issues. The twist came out when I was snagging reds in Main Bay!
    I had Alfonzo load it for me at B&J.. First time using it and I like it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by chaser1023 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback...both of you guys have been helpful....I'm from Upper Marlboro, MD. I'm set on most things now except for the little things,
    I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something(lol)....I need a good list of incidentals. My gear, tackle, medium rods(3) w/reels, 20lb line, I'll wait on the hooks and flies til I get there. Spinners? Some good socks(no holes), wader repair kit, gonna run out and check on the Vibrax lures today and some inexpensive wading boots being so that I picked up some stockingfoot chest high waders. Probably need some skeeter repellent too hunh?
    Got a real good feeling 'bout this trip.
    Any other lures used, freshwater or saltwater or both?
    Wiggle warts work great.
    IF you forget something here you can stop by Sportsman Warehouse or B&J and pick what you forgot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK