Thread: SB11 Taking of Antlerless Moose only by EO... and AC approval?

Default SB11 Taking of Antlerless Moose only by EO... and AC approval?

Senator Bishop has prefiled a bill related to the taking of antlerless moose. As a meat hunter who frequently participates in antlerless hunts I'm interested. I am somewhat ok with the EO portion of it (I think), but given my experience relative to the AC process, I'm not sure it is wise to have them approving ADFG's EO's. Interested what others think.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/PDF/30/Bills/SB0011A.PDF

Nope. Adding too much bureaucracy between what the Bios will want and it happening.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

This is getting crazy! It is falling inline with everything like in Unit 23 and what is likely to happen in Unit 13. Don't let the Bios do their job unless someone who doesn't know what they are talking about says so. Horrible.

I read the bill wrong. Currently AC's have to approve antlerless hunts. This bill seeks to remove that requirement and leave it to ADFG's authority. I support that.

This is how the statute currently reads:

AS 16.05.780 Taking of Antlerless Moose Prohibited.

(a) The taking of antlerless moose in any game management unit or subunit or a portion of a unit or subunit is prohibited except that antlerless moose may be taken only under regulations adopted under (b) of this section after
    (1) the department recommends the season be opened in that year, based on biological evidence, and
    (2) a majority of active local advisory committees for that unit or subunit have recommended an opening for that year, after each has taken a vote and a majority of the members of those committees have voted in the affirmative.
    (b) Pursuant to (a) of this section the board, in its regularly scheduled annual game board meeting, may adopt regulations for the taking of antlerless moose in any game management unit or subunit in any year.
    And this is how it would read if the bill (SB11) was adopted as written (effective January 1, 2018):

AS 16.05.780 Taking of Antlerless Moose Prohibited.

(a) The taking of antlerless moose in any game management unit or subunit or a portion of a unit or subunit is prohibited except as authorized by emergency order under AS 16.05.060
    (b) Repealed
    And AS 16.05.060 currently reads as follows:
    AS 16.05.060 Emergency Orders.

(a) This chapter does not limit the power of the commissioner or an authorized designee, when circumstances require, to summarily open or close seasons or areas or to change weekly closed periods on fish or game by means of emergency orders.
    (b) The commissioner or an authorized designee may, under criteria adopted by the Board of Fisheries, summarily increase or decrease sport fish bag limits or modify methods of harvest for sport fish by means of emergency orders.
    (c) An emergency order has the force and effect of law after field announcement by the commissioner or an authorized designee. An emergency order adopted under this section is not subject to AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I read as smithtb. As is currently the way the AC's have to approve the antlerless hunts annually(not sure on how frequent?). So this bill would streamline the process for Fish and Game and get rid of some of the bureaucracy. Not exactly sure what the history of having the AC's approve these hunts was. I think it was because some do not approve of antlerless hunts and this acted as a sunset provision every year???

It would be interesting to know which of Click Bishop's constituents pushed for this and what the motivation was.

I don't see a problem with the current system in this area.