Thread: Lures for pinks

Default Lures for pinks

I will be shore fishing at Valdez and Hope in late July and am seeking input on the best lures to use. Searching this forum I see lots of references to egg and leech pattern flys. Since I don't fly fish, can I fish these flys on a light spinning outfit by using a float? Any particular pattern you find best and what are the recommended colors. Should they be fished near the surface or near the bottom?

Thanks for your help.

Try Pixies. They worked for me last year. Get different sizes, colors, and with or without rattles. Last year the Pinks had no preference, but it made me feel better to switch up and try new colors throughout the day.

Default spinners

chartruese or orange # 3 Vibrax.

yes you can fish with these flys on spinning gear. just put a small weight a little ways up the line. Just enough so you can cast. I wouldn't worry too much about it pinks are not picky.

in Valdez you can throw a bare hook off allison point and catch pinks. Any spinner, or fly or spoon will work. Pink ones seem best but who knows. Small is better, but there could be s silver swimming around too.

I haven't been to Valdez for 2 years since my folks came up, but man is the fishing fun there. Just an unbelievable amount of pinks.

On a fly I like the polar shrimp for pinks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Close your eyes and grab a lure. Throw it out there. Fish on when fishing for pinks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Valdez pinks

Orange pixies. If they aren't doing well on the orange, try green. The lure above all there is the 1/2 ounce orange pixie. And, as was said, when pinks are hitting, a bare hook will catch them.

I have fished Valdez since 1984 and have never caught a pink on a fly, but have caught literally hundreds on the pixies from Allison Point, better known as Winnebago Point. Fish the "lagoon" towards the terminal and you should do well, and avoid most of the overwhelming crowds.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Pinks ...even years???

I thought Pinks returned on even years. Will there be enough fish returning this year to be worth fishing for
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    I thought Pinks returned on even years. Will there be enough fish returning this year to be worth fishing for
    Valdez Pinks Yes every year. One could poo on a hook and catch a pink there.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default 22 million

The estimate is 22 million fish this year. And they are back every year. Pixies: Pink or raspberry.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have to agree with Gary, Polar Shrimp is my favorite fly for pinks. I have had luck with all kinds of spoons and spinners. I hope to start seeing some here in K-town in the next couple of weeks. My daughter loves fishing for them on the bank. She likes it better then fishing from the boat.

Thumbs up buzz bombs

You can outcast anyone with a buzz-bomb. If you can see it you can hit it. I was nailing the pinks while we were trolling in Seward on Thursday the 12th. When a pink (or a silver) jumped I launched the buzz bomb and nailed one about 1 out of 3 casts. It was great except for that seagull incident. I casted it a long ways, the seagull got caught and tangled in the line, as I was pulling it in to rescue it, the seagull went under because the buzz bomb was hanging down 10 feet in the water, and the struggling action of the gull enticed a salmon to bite so I landed a gull and salmon at the same time, (and same time that Chad and Rob landed fish too, talk about chaos). Gull was released unharmed, but I cannot say the same for the fish. I have a video of the incident if someone can tell me how to put it on here.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default dumster ducks

lol I bet that was a hell of a deal i'm sure we all have stories about those dumster ducks. I hamered pinks this weekend in pony along with some great silver fishing let the pinks off but they were still fun to real in