Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is your bow?

Default How old is your bow?

I was just curious how long most of you have had your current go to bow. I have an old compound PSE that was given to me by a friend, its not up to modern standards by any means, but hey it was top of the line when it came out, and its taken animals so what the heck right!

One of my friends was telling me that I should get a new bow, but wouldn't you guess he can't outshoot me with his 2005 Hoyt. I think my PSE is about 15 years old, but not sure. I can shoot it, and thats all that matters.

2005 Parker Phoenix 32 is what I shoot. A buddy of mine shot the #2 Ibex in Safari Club last year with an ol Mathews Q2 and apparently it does the job so why change!

My bow will be 3 years old this fall, Mathews Outback. The bow I replaced I shot for 12 years. They made some big changes over 12 years.

Default Bow age

Currently shooting a 2006 mathews Switchback XT
    Upgraded from a 1999 mathews Ultramax (stll one of the faster bows out there.)
    (Also have the 1964 Bear Polar recurve I shot as a kid).

There is the thing that if it's not broken, don't fix it so there's nothing wrong with an older bow - They've killed alot of critters and I don't think the critters care which bow gets them.

That said, I upgraded last year and it is amazing how much the technology has advanced and how smooth, quiet, and forgiving the newer bows are. (I didn't need a new bow, I just wanted one.) Your old bow is probably quite sensitive to poor shooting form - if you were already shooting well with your old bow, you might very well blow the doors off with a new one. If you like to shoot and fiddle with your gear like I do, it will be a fun new toy.

Wink

I'm down to an old Darton Viper 15+ I keep draggin em out! The secret is that the arrow kills the game.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

My Mathews Q2XL is 7years

I just picked up another Mathews Q2XL this year. It was new in the box.

My Mathews Icon is 4 years
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Bow age...

2003 Hoyt Super-Tec... Love it, love it, love it!!! If it breaks, I'll go and try a parallel limb bow. Until then, it works GREAT!!!

15 +/- PSE Laser Flight

Only shoots about 210fps (a little faster with my new carbons), but is smooth and shoots well. Kinda hard to justify the $$ for a new bow when there isn't anything wrong with this one....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

BLACK WIDOW RECURVE THAT IS MY MAIN HUNTING BOW- MUST BE ABOUT 14 YEARS OLD
    MY MATHEWS COMPOUND IS 5 YEARS OLD.
    S_DOG YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO OUT SHOOT YOUR FRIEND WITH ANY BOW.
    COMPOUND PERFORMANCE HAS GREATLY CHANGED BUT IF YOU ARE GETTING REASONABLE SPEEDS AND SHOOT IT WELL I SURE WOULD NOT SEE ANY REASON TO CHANGE.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

My first bow was given to me in the mid 1980s by a friend, a Bear takedown recurve, 52#. It still shoots fine. Latest bows are handmade by a couple friends, longbow and a recurve, and only a year old. One is osage backed with bamboo (the short longbow - an oxymoron) and the other is osage and hickory (I think). Got to shoot a Black Widow recurve last fall a friend had, darn nice bow! My go-to bow is the osage-hickory recurve now, 55# and takedown too. The new longbow is about the shortest little bow you'll ever see, don't know why it holds up to 65# pull without breaking, is lefty and righty and my son has been shooting it lefty and likes it a lot. No arrow rest or anything, simple affair. He probably only pulls 50# on it though. Just got more arrows, sure been losing a bunch <grin>. I think a metal detector may be in store for us to find arrows that can't be far beyond where you think they're buried! If they can beep on field points then I've got it made.
    Cheers,

Hey Mark you should get some Judo points to shoot with those arrows. That will keep them from burying under the tundera, keeps em on top so you can find em easy.
    Sure would like to see those two bows that your friends make. Wooden bow from a skilled boweyer is an awesome sight!!
    Take care
    Jason

currently shooting a Habu Vyperkahn about a year old.
    Have a Korean Hwarang recurve, 48" knock to knock that shoots 60#s and is the smoothest bow I have ever drawn.
    A bear Kodiac, not sure of the age.
    An osage selfbow that I made after cutting the tree. Killed my biggest buck with it too!!! That one is hanging on the wall and is about 5 years old.
    Have various other recurve and longbows. Just can't seem to have enough.
    I also have an osage stave that has cured for quit a few years, friend gave it to me. It has a bow in there just waiting to come out. I will have to assist it one of these days. Sounds like a good winter project!!!

Default bow pics

Hey Jason,

Here's a couple pics of the bows made for my son and me by our friend Dave. Don't have any pics of the other short longbow. And a pic of Keane with a hare he took with his bow this spring. I'm using judos on some of my arrows...Keane is the one losing most of them, as he likes to shoot a whole quiver-full at the target <grin>. And most of those have field points. BTW, that is way cool you make selfbows...and even cut down the tree! I bet it is a real special feeling to take an animal with something you made yourself.

My Hoyt is about 12 years old, I'm guessing. I've saved up from some extra jobs last year to buy a new one, but haven't gotten around to it. My old bow shoots quite well, but I'm still looking to upgrade. Maybe some good news tomorrow night in the form of a Ft. Rich archery moose tag will provide all the incentive I'll need!

Default 3 years

About 3 years ago I finally upgraded from my old Bear Black Panther (my first bow) to a Bowtech Liberty VFT, and was amazed at the difference!! I'd say if your bow is over 10 years old, you should just go shoot one of the new ones, on second thought, don't unless your ready to buy it, you'll be amazed how much smoother and faster they are these days!!

Talking

I am currently shooting my 2006 Mathews Switchback XT .
    I upgraded last year from my 1987 ? Martin Terminater . Had it for quite awhile . My son-n-law is using it today , still in action .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Proline Point Blank

I think my Proline Point Blank has been around since Christ was a kid, But at 72# is still a straight shooter and works for me.

Default Bear Whitetail II

Got it in 1984. It is definitely time for an upgrade.

Mathews Lx .Four years old and still lay,s the smack down on any thing thats in my way.Still haven found any thing else that comes close.And more then likely I never will.

Default a few years or so

I have used a Browning Mirage SX for the past 5 or so years and love it- No reason to switch yet...

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast