Thread: Found an OK 32 cal for little critters.

Default Found an OK 32 cal for little critters.

I am still waiting on some good flints to arrive. But she works OK with a very crappy flint.
    This is the first tiny caliber muzzle stuffer I have owned. All the tiny balls and tiny powder charges are a bit of a pain in cold weather. She does have a good little crack when she goes off due to her high velocity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Here are a couple more photos. The light was not so great and the camera is pretty beat up. The temp was around zero

Very neat rifle, considering a 36 from Dixie gun works myself - is your flint held in a piece of lead or leather ? If I may ask, where did you obtain this rifle ?
    Looking forward to more posts and photos - thank you.

I put a piece of lead cable shielding around part of the only flint I have. I think that leather might work better, but all I have are scraps of moose hide. I have some black English flints on order and I am looking for an old set of leather boots to cut-up for the hammer jaws.
    I picked it up from a gent in Georgia. It is an old Dixie Gun Works discontinued model.
    Be aware that many tools and accessories will not help with a 32 caliber. The 36 caliber seems to have more things available.

The 32 cal has about the same power as a 22 magnum up close. A 45 grain ball going a little over 2,000 fps. I tried 20 grains of 3F but it was shooting low. So I worked my way up to 28 grains and 30 grains. That is where the sights and the holes met up.

I just need to work on how much powder I use in the flash pan. I almost set my eyebrows on fire a couple times.

Sweet looking rifle! I bet it serves you well and is a load of fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    All the tiny balls and tiny powder charges are a bit of a pain in cold weather.
    Buy or build yourself one or several loading blocks. Dandy formula for beating the cold with small balls and patches. Here is a chart showing drill bit sizes for making your own blocks in various calibers.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I beat you to it. The holes are .320 right now to see how it works.

I also just made up a bunch of PAPER STRAWS that I cut down for flash pan primer powder. Using my small primer powder horn at 5 below was not working.

So I folded and stapled a few paper straws and placed measured primer charges in them. I have a little stopper on the open end.

wood loading blocks and paper straws for powder.....great info, thanks guys !

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I also just made up a bunch of PAPER STRAWS that I cut down for flash pan primer powder. Using my small primer powder horn at 5 below was not working.
    Oooooh.... Good idea! Ought to be killer on windy days and wet days, too. I end up changing my prime about every half hour on wet days, and sooner or later my little primer gets wet....
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Looks like an old DGW Tennessee Mountain Rifle. I had one in .50 caliber, back in the day (1970's). They were "poor boy" style rifles; no brass fittings or other adornments, just wood and browned metal, grease hole instead of a patch box.

Enjoy your squirrel gun!
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.