Thread: Big Ling Cod

Thumbs up Big Ling Cod

I took my son on a charter out of Homer along with 4 of my buddies and the boy landed a fatty! It measured 57.5 inches long and weighed in at 70.4 lbs. Much thanks to Mike Manns Charter Service for a great memory!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job, the smile says it all.

Default That's Quite a Fish...

...congratulations to your son for a great catch. Can you imagine all of the food that fish consumed/inhaled over the years to get to that size? If that could be computed I bet it would be an impressive amount of poundage!

Awesome catch guys!

If there is one thing I really enjoy watching it would be kids catching fish, especially the big ones. It's all too often I hear or see parents taking control of the rod and reel in hopes to land the big one their kid hooked. "But I didn't want it to get away," is the common response I hear. I'd rather watch my child loose a world class fish than for me to take over. Not once can I remember when my father took the pole out of my hands when I hooked any fish, and it will be the same way with my daugther. I have landed a few fish considered trophies by Alaskan standards, and I have lost just as many, but each and every time my father was nothing more than a cheer leader. The sheer fact that my dad let me tackle my own fish is probably the biggest reason why I am so addicted to fishing to this day.

Congratulations on your sons catch, if I was in your shoes I would be, without a doubt, a proud papa.

That is one impressive fish. I am jealous becuase I haven't been so lucky yet. What am I talking about............. my boys have me beat too I agree with WG, you should be proud, I would be.

WG, I never lived anywhere that my dad might have the oppurtunity to take my pole because I hooked a 50lb lunker All he'd of got was an 18" trout well for the most part anyway. I think your right about letting the kids loose it themselves even though I find myself acting like a coach more often then a cheerleader. I'm sure I'm not alone on this but I've been working on it. My boys might not agree with me but I try to hold back

Default Oh Yeah!

You bet I'm proud! When it comes to fishing...he is always by my side and always making me proud! When that fish came to the surface he didn't realize what he had caught until the rest of us started going crazy. When we boated it we were all high-fiving him and hugging him. It was truly a father-and-son moment that will never be forgotton.

He is a superstar!

Man that is a hog. Lings are one of my favorite to eat. Nothing more special then to see a kid catching fish. You guys went out far to catch that critter.....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

That's awesome! And I can relate, it's even more fun when your kids catch a big fish than catching one yourself.

Congrats to your son. They are kinda ugly fish, but they are very tasty. I'll bet your son can't wait for school to start to tell a real fish story to all his buddies.

That is way cool for you and your son. The best times my dad and I have had are out fishing. That ling is a HOG!!!!! Be cool to do a replica head mount of it.