Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close the Kenai River to kayaks?

Default Close the Kenai River to kayaks?

support for kayakers on the Kenai River

• Thursday, January 12, 2017

3:00 PM to 6:00 PM

• Kenai River Center

Funny River Road, Soldotna, AK (map)
      60.480820 -150.878538

• Fishing guides are looking to put restrictions and regulations on small watercraft usage on the Kenai River. Lets make a showing so we can be properly informed and represented. There is additional information on the Kenai Peninsula kayaking and canoeing Facebook site.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

This has been flying under the radar for lots of folks.

I wonder how much traction this will have..
    I will be talking to the DNR tomorrow.
    hoping I get some good words.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I wonder how much traction this will have..
    I will be talking to the DNR tomorrow.
    hoping I get some good words.
    Well, Hell Max!!!

Haven't seen you around in forever.
    Hope you're well.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

We are planning to attend, and voice our concerns. The river is there for everyone to use and enjoy. It is not, and should not, be the exclusive play ground for guides.

Someone should submit a proposal to ban motors on the Kenai. After all, it's the power boats that are causing the safety concerns, not the other way around. One does not often hear about a rowed boat crashing into a motored boat and causing injuries.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Does this include canoes, drift boats, rafts, 1 & 2 man catarafts as well?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I will not be able to make this meeting but am very interested in letting my voice heard. Is there someone we can call or write to let them know how we feel.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    support for kayakers on the Kenai River

• Thursday, January 12, 2017

3:00 PM to 6:00 PM

• Kenai River Center

Funny River Road, Soldotna, AK (map)
      60.480820 -150.878538
    • Fishing guides are looking to put restrictions and regulations on small watercraft usage on the Kenai River. Lets make a showing so we can be properly informed and represented. There is additional information on the Kenai Peninsula kayaking and canoeing Facebook site.
    This is not coming from fishing guides period.

This is being pushed by Dwight Kramer and he is a member of Kenai River Advosory Board.

I called the Kenai River advisory board and found out this is not what is happening at all. This was not started by the fishing guides and there is no talk about making regulations or restrictions on small watercraft. They are discussing potential safety issues with small watercrafts. They do not make regulations. She said based on the public outcry so far this will go nowhere.

Good! We were still floating the Kenai in yaks weekend before christmas. Next week it finally froze over.

Hippie!!!
    I am here..
    I read every single posting on the canoe and kayak forum every day..
    My job used to afford a little time to visit on the forum..
    that has of course changed as I spend most of my time in the field now vs sitting in front of the control panel..
    its a much better gig now..
    Outside working on the kenai national wildlife refuge is just such a wonderful place to work..

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

IMHO..
    I think at some point the kenai watershed will realize power boats are a BIG part the problem. As to the fishery decline on the kenai river, and bank erosion.
    Remember that old saying ..... "FOLLOW THE MONEY" ??
    expensive properties and their owners.. geared towards high dollar tourist money and the power to overtake the science and go ahead until the mine is played out.

Oh I had a dream!!!
    At somepoint when the river no longer delivers the $$$$$ due to the near extinction of the cash flow salmon and trophy trout ..there will no longer a be reason to charge up and down the river in power boats, it will become a float only river...
    History has a way of giving us a climpse into the future..
    Time is the issue...
    will this happen in my lifetime??
    one could only hope intervention happens before a total collapse of the resource..

It does not have to happen, !!
    and it blows my mind that someone would want to restrict the solitude sport of non motorized boating in order to make room for the power boat crowd..

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    This is not coming from fishing guides period.

This is being pushed by Dwight Kramer and he is a member of Kenai River Advosory Board.
    Iceblue,
    I spoke directly with Dwight last night about this and he said exactly the opposite. So who is telling the truth? Since both of you are very vocal about Kenai River issues it would be nice to know who is telling the truth and who is spreading b.s.. With the board of fish coming up soon, reputations become an issue, what say you?

Well, it did not get any traction. Not enough information from whoever was pushing it, for there to be a vote. Keep your eyes peeled though. It may come up again. There were several members from the Kenai Peninsula Outdoor Club there to defend our right to paddle on the River.

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    Iceblue,
    I spoke directly with Dwight last night about this and he said exactly the opposite. So who is telling the truth? Since both of you are very vocal about Kenai River issues it would be nice to know who is telling the truth and who is spreading b.s.. With the board of fish coming up soon, reputations become an issue, what say you?
    Dwight is the chair of the River Use Committee thru (KRSMA Board). This discussion was brought forward by Kramer through this committee. Kramer asked State Parks for information regarding safety, accidents, etc with small water craft. He got no support during his committee to move it along. Ask around what the guides on the committee had to say on this subject.

If I was behind it or in favor of restricting rafts, canoes, kayaks, or similar watercraft I would say so. This is typical of Kramer. When a public outcry happens he ducks and runs and tries to deny having involvement of said issue. There is no doubt where the bs is coming from on this one and it is coming from Kramer.

Iceblue, From my conversation with Dwight, the discussion was brought forward by a Kenai River guide (MR) who has had issues with kayakers in the past, and sits on the committee, as well as an outspoken upper river property owner. The proposal went nowhere and was not brought forward by the committee. That was the message relayed to me.

akcarv, I called and talked to (mr) about it and he denies bringing the topic forward. His words were it is up to the committee chair to set the agenda and Kramer is the chair.

It would surprise me That MR would be in favor of shutting down personel watercraft , rafts etc... He got his start as a guide on the Kenai river running a Raft some 20 odd years ago when he lived in my campground..
    I could call him and confirm though.

I have read the comments from those in the kayak group who attended the meeting and no one was threatening their use of the river. It was more of an awareness and safety issue. Neither the guides nor the committee chairman, Mr. Kramer , were looking to limit their use, they were just looking at ways to make them safer . It was iceblue who started the unfounded accusations . Given your position with the KRGA, I would think you would be more careful with making false accusations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast