Thread: blacktail rifle questions

Default blacktail rifle questions

I'm fairly new to S.E. AK and I'm looking for some suggestions for a lightweight stainless rifle or carbine. Basically I want a brush-type gun that is light enough to comfortably pack long distances while hiking my trapline and that won't get eaten up by the marine climate we have down here. The lower the cost the better. This rifle would be used for deer and wolves.

Default rifle question

I'd say a tikka t-3 ss/syn in whatever caliber you like

Where there are deer there are brownies. Be prepared.
    Tennessee

Default brownies?

Won't be any Brownies on the islands I trap- atleast thats what they told me- got any rifle suggestions?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd probably get a Savage, in SS, with a Synthetic stock, chambered for 308 Winchester, or even 7mm-08.

For sights a Weaver K4 if you want a scope, and use Weaver Quad lock rings.

If iron sights, a Lyman Reciever Sight for the rear, and a wide post in the front.

None of the above would cost an arm and a leg, except, possibly the iron sights, since they would have to be installed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Remington Model 7 Stainless Steel 7mm-08 or .308 Win.

IMHO, for the money you won't get a stouter gun than the Ruger M77's, and they offer the stainless in their ultralight configuration. I have a blued ultralight in .308, and it is a very accurate gun. For trapping and blacktails, anything from 223 on up will do the trick. As for scopes, while the weavers are good glass for the money, they have very little eye relief, and I don't care for the reticle. Getting a used leupold M8 4X is worth the effort in finding one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Paul H:

Don'tcha think that a 223 is too light, since you never know what you may encounter up here in the Greatland? Myself, I've decided that a 6.5 would be the minimum.

One of the reasons I put a Weaver K4 on my 338 is that it has plenty of eye-relief. The figures say 3.3, but it is much more than that. Like maybe, 4 inches.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    IMHO, for the money you won't get a stouter gun than the Ruger M77's, and they offer the stainless in their ultralight configuration. I have a blued ultralight in .308, and it is a very accurate gun. For trapping and blacktails, anything from 223 on up will do the trick. As for scopes, while the weavers are good glass for the money, they have very little eye relief, and I don't care for the reticle. Getting a used leupold M8 4X is worth the effort in finding one.

aye....I would much rather hump a tikka then be seen the woods with a ruger - Just cant like em - I say go remmy

I'm down in Juneau, and I shoot a Remington 700 LTR in .308....20" barrel, HEAVY barrel, but the sob just shoots!

I'm with Smitty on the Savage stainless, but I'd probably go with 308 over the 7-08 for general use. Savage are moderately priced, and you just can't beat them for tough and accurate. I know guys with a lot more expensive rifles as well as Savage, but anytime they're hunting in bad weather or around saltwater they dig out their Savage SS. Kind of embarasses them to admit they're worried about dinging up their fancier rifles, but it says a lot that they reach for Savage when the chips are down.

I'm not into the YOU SAVAGE YOU rifles, but they work, their accurate, tuff and most important they are the C word. CHEAP.

Just get a better trigger for the Dam_ thing!

Lord, what an abortion of an action.

The savage triggers are great now! check them out. Part of the neat thing of the savage action or the barrrel nut is that it is pretty cheap and easiy to change up calibers bt switching barrels.
    Now if I were you Id get a nice lightweight T/C omega x7 carbine. I think I saw one for sale in the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by amp View Post
    I'm fairly new to S.E. AK and I'm looking for some suggestions for a lightweight stainless rifle or carbine. Basically I want a brush-type gun that is light enough to comfortably pack long distances while hiking my trapline and that won't get eaten up by the marine climate we have down here. The lower the cost the better. This rifle would be used for deer and wolves.
    While savage triggers have gotten better....

I don't like savage extractors at all...last 1 I took apart was a ink pen spring, a daisy BB, and a piece of pot metal with a U shape.(110E)

Since You say brush type carbine and no brownies I would say SS marlin lever in .30-30 .........or .45-70 if you like in case you want to go somewhere in the future where brownies roam.

Tikka or Rem mod 700 or 7 would be fine too.

I got a ruger stainless allweather that would be good too in any cal from 6.5x55mm on up.

I would look at shops 2nd hand stuff too....even old military rifles...find a good deal and change firing pin and maybe extractor .......and have it refinished by the gunsmith while that is happening, in electroless nickel or teflon/parkerise base.

Seen many a old .30-'06 or 7x57mm or 8x57mm rifle gotten cheap and turned into a good hardcore rifle with a little work.(the key here is to not go overboard)

My first was a .303 british reworked over time as I got money (I was 16 and money was way tight)

Had a friend that gor a FR8 in a deal for $150 cause it kicked worse than a .458 (steel butt plate)

He had it cut off to fit him with decellerator pad added and parkerised / teflon coated scope base added for about $300 and he had it done little by little as he got money.

Here is a pic of a stock one with MAD sights and flash hider which are both standard on these.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.badmuehle.de/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_109/015_11A.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.badmuehle.de/17980.html%3F*session*id*key*%3D*session*id*val*&h =266&w=400&sz=13&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=MtRo348Q 9RIjCM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfr8%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den

jedi

I would go with the ruger m77 stainless in 243, 270, 308, 30/06, any of them would be plenty. The 243 would be a dandy fox/wolf rifle and works just as well on deer but the 30/06 would probably be the most versatile, 125-150s for fox/wolf and 180s for pretty much anything else out there.