Thread: Studded Tires

Default Studded Tires

I drive in Alaska... A lot (around 50K a year).

I've driven the best studless tires on my company rig, and have had a variety of studded tires on my personal rig(s).

This year, I bought a set of Hakkepelitta 8's for my frontwheel drive commuter car. They are amazing. I've noticed that while I travel around town, I'm able to get going easier and faster at stoplights in my frontwheel drive car than even AWD Subarus using studded tires.

I then bought a set of Hakkepelitta 8 SUV's for my F-150. On Christmas morning, at the Homer house, we got rain over the ice, and the driveway is very sloped. My truck was empty with a 4000 lb trailer on it, and it was rock solid maneuvering around the driveway, where all the guests had to park at the bottom of the hill.

Can't recommend these tires enough.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where did you get them at?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksprucy View Post

https://www.nokiantires.com/where-to...ealer-locator/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by blacksprucy View Post
    Anchorage Tire Factory.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

when you are buying do you want them on all 4 tires or just the drive tires? Does it make a difference for car or truck?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    when you are buying do you want them on all 4 tires or just the drive tires? Does it make a difference for car or truck?
    All 4, always.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

All 4 corners. You want to be able to steer and stop. The getting going part is secondary.

The snow, snowpack and ice isn't so much the issue. Most any decent tire suffices in those conditions. What makes the Kenai peninsula driving so bad is the amount of days we get rain on top of the ice or snowpack. There is nothing slicker than a freshly flooded hockey rink. On those days you want the best tires you can get your hands on. Or just stay home lol

Dogpile, I know, but ALWAYS all 4. Nothing worse going around a mild corner at 55 and having your tailgate pass you on the highway (Been there done that).

In fact, a lot of tire places won't sell you just 2.

Getting moving has never been a problem for me... If I can't, I make other plans. Where traction really comes into play is travelling at highway speeds and maintaining a good curve without going out of control.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ