Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Police Officers please chime in

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Talking Police Officers please chime in

    Hello,

    I am moving in August with the wifey to Fairbanks. We have a Alaska fund with about 7k in it with no debt except car payments for her car and a little nest egg to fall back in. I volunteered for deployment to save up for Alaska which gave me that decent sized Alaska move fund. I am in the Army but will be ETS'ing this spring after 4 years of service. I have been accepted to UAF and will be using my GI Bill to go to school. I am interested in becoming a police officer after college. Yes I am going to wait till I get my degree before I want to be a full time Police Officer, because its always has been my dream to go to college and get a degree. I am very interested to do the Police reserves while I go to school in the area, but it seems like North Pole is the closest place with a reserve police program. I am wondering what a desirable degree is for hiring a new recruit in Alaska. I have contacted Anchorage police department and they mentioned that anything but a Criminal Justice degree is great plus my military service is a big plus. I am interested in small town police work and was seeing what would be a good road to follow. Any info and opinions are great. I have a few friends that are Police Officers in Washington and Oregon and they say stay away from Criminal Justice. Right now I'm in a Business Administration program, so idk if I should keep it or change majors to something else.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancep51 View Post
    Hello,

    I am moving in August with the wifey to Fairbanks. We have a Alaska fund with about 7k in it with no debt except car payments for her car and a little nest egg to fall back in. I volunteered for deployment to save up for Alaska which gave me that decent sized Alaska move fund. I am in the Army but will be ETS'ing this spring after 4 years of service. I have been accepted to UAF and will be using my GI Bill to go to school. I am interested in becoming a police officer after college. Yes I am going to wait till I get my degree before I want to be a full time Police Officer, because its always has been my dream to go to college and get a degree. I am very interested to do the Police reserves while I go to school in the area, but it seems like North Pole is the closest place with a reserve police program. I am wondering what a desirable degree is for hiring a new recruit in Alaska. I have contacted Anchorage police department and they mentioned that anything but a Criminal Justice degree is great plus my military service is a big plus. I am interested in small town police work and was seeing what would be a good road to follow. Any info and opinions are great. I have a few friends that are Police Officers in Washington and Oregon and they say stay away from Criminal Justice. Right now I'm in a Business Administration program, so idk if I should keep it or change majors to something else.
    Unless brings have changed since I wore a badge, a degree doesn't really help. The pay difference wasn't that much. Like less than a $1/HR. So, as far as a degree, are you wanting to be a detective or just patrol officer? I'd recommend a degree that is usable outside of police work. You may want to do it, until you do it. I realized that I'd make a bigger difference in my community as a teacher rather than a policeman. Being a police officer is commendable. Pay sucks. People will hate you. Hours will suck. But it is a profession that matters.
    Good luck and if wearing a badge is what you want t to do, look into forensics science.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Yeah it was a toss up between teaching and police for me. After doing a few ride-a-longs with friends that are police officers I felt like it was the place for me. I wasn't that it was "cool" to me, it was interesting to me and even watching all the paperwork being done it didn't phase me. I liked hoe it was similar to being in the Military to a degree. I liked the camaraderie between the officers and that's what I am looking for. I am interested in being patrol for awhile but I know that I am very interested in becoming a detective. I want to put back into the community aswell but I know some people will hate you no doubt. Thank you for the reply!

  4. #4
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    2,803

    Default

    Well I have a degree in Electronics Engineering that I never put to use. Retired from the military after 21 years of service and then became a police officering Anchorage. Been doing that for almost 8 years now. My degree didn't help me get the job. Yes they liked that I had one and that shows a higher education, but honestly my military career helped a lot more. I'm on the hiring team for our department and everyone always asks what degree to get to better their chances at being hired. I tell them none. A clean record, being truthful during the hiring process and following directions and completing the paperwork correctly will put you high on the list of applicants.

    Up there you have Fairbanks Police Department and the Fairbanks Airport Police and Fire Department. They do both police and fire full time. It's a pretty interesting job and I believe they hire quite often. Police work can be a very fulfilling job. Good luck with whatever you decide. And remember that just about any departments hiring process is about 6 months long. Give or take a month or so. So plan accordingly.
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# UNK
    Boat Name Unknown

  5. #5
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    If you are interested in Anchorage PD, I'd go ahead and apply. We are in a big hiring push right now. APD also has an education assistance program where the department will help pay for your schooling as long as you are in a degree seeking program. An associates degree is worth 4% and a bachelors is worth 8%. It's worth getting the degree, but I don't think I would wait to apply.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  6. #6
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,072

    Default

    I have two former students that were taking criminal justice degree courses at UAF. If I am not mistaken, it is all online courses right now due to budget cuts. Might want to check if that is what you are thinking of taking.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I will probably consider applying in 2018 after I get settled in and have more classes under my belt. I currently have one year completed and will be in my sophomore year when I attend UAF. I have 100% Gi Bill, so my education is paid for over the next four years. It is very nice to have the education for police officers in my opinion and totally support it! You have been the 3rd Anchorage Police Officer that has told me to apply, so I am assuming you need officers really badly. The timing is off for me in 2017 just because I am moving from Texas to Oregon for a few months while my wife is done working in July and then moving to Alaska in August. I think I would apply in the Winter of 2017/18 if it open.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have two former students that were taking criminal justice degree courses at UAF. If I am not mistaken, it is all online courses right now due to budget cuts. Might want to check if that is what you are thinking of taking.
    Yes I saw that it was all online. I think I am going to stay with my Business major just because I like going to class in person and being taught in person. Unless the criminal justice program moves from online to actual taught classes I will stick with business. I might consider minoring in Criminal Justice. My academic advisor recommended that I should double minor cause I have all the elective credits completed, so double minoring would be the way to go. I am just wondering if any police departments up there have police reserves that I can do while going to college. I would love to do the Police Reserves. I emailed North Pole about their program but never hear back. I would call but I am currently deployed and have no phone to call sadly, so email is my best form of communication or Facebook.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Another question of mine is a lot of the smaller towns that are hiring want applicants to have the basic police officer certification and I was wondering if going to the police academy at UAF would be something I should do? How do these smaller towns hire younger applicants if they don't have the basic police cert?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancep51 View Post
    Another question of mine is a lot of the smaller towns that are hiring want applicants to have the basic police officer certification and I was wondering if going to the police academy at UAF would be something I should do? How do these smaller towns hire younger applicants if they don't have the basic police cert?
    Squash going to school. Use the GI Bill to pay for the academy. When I had the GI Bill, that was an option.

  11. #11
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    2,803

    Default

    You can be a self pay (no Leo job) at the ALETS Academy in Sitka. They hold 2 classes each year. One in February and another in August. Both classes are 15 weeks long. Very good training.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# UNK
    Boat Name Unknown

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    You can be a self pay (no Leo job) at the ALETS Academy in Sitka. They hold 2 classes each year. One in February and another in August. Both classes are 15 weeks long. Very good training.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for that information! Is there any like that in Alaska or only in Sitka?

  13. #13
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancep51 View Post
    Thank you for that information! Is there any like that in Alaska or only in Sitka?

    Uh, Sitka is in Alaska. 👍

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Uh, Sitka is in Alaska. 
    Yes I have been to Sitka Alaska, I probably should have said is there any other ones in Alaska besides the Sitka one.

  15. #15
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    2,803

    Default

    The only other one that I now of is the Police Academy in Fairbanks. Not sure if they let self pays take the class or not.
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# UNK
    Boat Name Unknown

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    FT.Hood Texas
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    The only other one that I now of is the Police Academy in Fairbanks. Not sure if they let self pays take the class or not.
    I just read up in the one in Fairbanks. I will already be going to UAF and its in the UAF educational system so I don't think I will have a problem going. I think I will really consider it while I go to UAF.

  17. #17
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Back when I was at UAF in the 80's, most the guys on the campus security detail were students headed towards career LEO. Don't know if they still have these positions. Last year when I was up there on campus only appeared to have actual cops rather than kids with flashlights.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Member BAR300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I went to UAF in the late 80's, UAF police hired student security officers and we patrolled the campus, most of us went on to LE careers. In the early 90's the title and duties changed, but it's still a good department to learn from and there are some really top notch officers there. I personally wouldn't do anything with NP police, unless it's changed a whole lot in the last 20 years. I received my degree in CJ from UAF, and am sad to learn it's not really being offered there anymore. The University system has taken and will take a bunch of cuts in the coming years so choose your degree with an eye to a program that will continue on at UAF. I'd say that it used to matter in LE if you had a criminal Justice degree, now not so much, any degree will work, heck a social work degree would probably get you farther than a CJ degree nowadays. I would definitely look into an internship once you get toward the end of your degree work. The head of AST in Fbks was at one time a student intern, as was I. you get to work for free but develop a good understanding of the job, and the people that might hire you can see your work ethic. I have worked with a large number of LE agencies in this state, most of them are outstanding. If your interested in FPD, AST and APD you would be choosing wisely. The smaller agencies also are outstanding and if you are moving to Alaska to be in the great outdoors then the smaller agencies might be more to your liking anyhow.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •