Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 170 Tires

Default 170 Tires

Ready to take the wheel pants off the 170A/0-300 I just bought and get some bigger tires. Will land on hard surface about 60% of the time, 30% gravel, some grass strips/fields and the occasional hard beach. What would be the best all around tire size?

8.50 or spend lots of money and impress your friends with bush wheels
    Tim

​mit is right . . . 8.50 x 6.00 is all you'll need.

I agree with the 8.50x6.00. But if you were going to use bush wheels, 26"?

If your are going to get bushwheels you can have them add an extra layer of rubber to the tire, it adds a few lbs but worth it if flying off tar a lot. 29 inch will impress your friends more than 26 and give you a higher AOA. Bushwheels are great tires for making you look good in general(hide a lot of landing mistakes), however the soft sidewall can become an issue in big crosswinds and sidehills with cessna gear. Just something to think about. No right or wrong just what woks for how you fly
    DENNY

I will give you one more option to consider that may help ( or not). Desser makes a no-tread 8:50X6 4 ply tire that is rated at 1600 lbs. per tire and weighs about 5 lbs. lighter that the standard 8:50X6 tire. At $225 per tire, I think they are a good choice. They are soft even at standard tire pressure and are a good alternative if you do not want to go to the expense of the Bushwheels. I have used them and I like them and saving 10 lbs. with the pair doesn't hurt either. They are going on my Cessna 172 as soon as I can get them.
    Charles

Stoddards has them stop in and talk to them. Great advice.
    DENNY

If money is a issue you can find the Goodyear 26" tires used reasonable. They wear very well and are slicks and keep the stone damage to a min.. just a thought.

Thanks for all the great replies! boneguy, the 29" bushwheels is what I want, but not sure I need them. Montana, I read about the Desser tires and will check that out. Algonquin, the 26" Goodyear slicks sound like a good choice also, will check that out also.

Get the 29" bw. You won't regret it. 8:50s can and have done everything for decades but there's a better mousetrap now. You don't hear anyone pulling off 29" bushwheels for 8:50s or..... The reverse is pretty common. If you have to land on pavement every day ya might explore other options tho.

You might read the article linked on ABWs website re: bushwheels and Cessna gearboxes, etc. Good read/thoughts.

Bushwheels are the clear winner for flotation and shock absorbtion along with easy rolling. Gar Aeros and 26" Goodyears have part of the package but not the complete package. They will wear longer on pavement, though.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorRN View Post
    Ready to take the wheel pants off the 170A/0-300 I just bought and get some bigger tires. Will land on hard surface about 60% of the time, 30% gravel, some grass strips/fields and the occasional hard beach. What would be the best all around tire size?
    I thinks some folks should look at the mission.............
    Tim

I was in same boat. Started with 850s and were all I needed 99% but started more off strip landings and went with Goodyear 26" which you will never wear out. Multiple friends convinced me, which i resisted to buy Bushwheels for gravel bars. When sold hydraulic wheel skis and bought 29"BW. Most of what I heard was 29" better on 170 that 31" because the 29" have stiffer side wall better for cessna spring gear and side loads. Amazing how much stress they take out of a rough landing. Not sure if low time pilot might gain more than old hand as they cover up lots of mistakes you don't want to make on rough strip. I keep mine off pavement. Still have my 850s for that.

Default 170 Tires

I have 8.50x6 and meet what I currently do. I too want bigger tires, my buddy has 29's on his 170, loves them and trying to talk me into them. But I also fly primarily to/from asphalt and also commute between Birchwood and Fairbanks. Good Year 26" would be the best compromise for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great advice! As bad I want 29" Bushwheels, Think I am leaning towards starting with some 26" Goodyears.

60% pave would eat Bushwheels up pretty fast.

Goodyears are too hard for off airport, make sure your gear leg shims are tight.

Nobody has asked Outdoor RN how much flight experience he or she currently possesses. Nor his / Her area of intended operations. (ie Northern AK, Western, South central or even in another State.

Having previously experienced gear box failure in a C-170 due to side loading, I would not be in a big hurry to hang huge tires on an A model with stock legs and boxes.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot is right. Where are you going to operate? What kind of gear legs are you running? The stock A model "Wobble Legs", later model "Lady Legs" or 180 Legs? Do you have P.Ponk gear kits installed? What about your prop? To make the most of larger tires off airport you're gonna want to swing an 80-42 or 43 fan to get the most out of the O-300.

In my 170B with lady legs and an 80-42 prop, my mission profile is like 5% Pavement. 35% gravel runways and about 60% off airport. 29" Bushwheels are a wonderful piece of gear.

One thing to think about is the Good year 26" tires have to be field approved I believe whereas the bush wheels 26-31 have STC approval.

From what you've described as your mission, 8.50 sound great. I'd want 180 gear before I hung 29" tires on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast