Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

Default New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

I just bit the bullet & bought a new 16 Ranger 800 6x6. It will be used for everything from family trail riding to moose hunting.
    I know a winch is a necessity, but beyond that what mods do owners recommend?
    Also I will be building my own windshield, top, possibly bumpers, etc so I'm interested in builds you guys have done. And I LOVE pics... Very visual learner :-)
    Thanks guys
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I've been told from the circle of folks that I know who have them, use them, baby them, or trash them all say the same thing...
    Upgrade to beefier front axles is the way too go...

I know a guy with a 15 razor 800. No BS, he snapped 6 axels this year alone. Yes he hot rods them, but still 6....!! After the 2nd one in a week he upgraded to the best ones he could find. I dont know the name but he just kept snapping them.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

I believe it's "Gorilla" axles...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I've been told from the circle of folks that I know who have them, use them, baby them, or trash them all say the same thing...
    Upgrade to beefier front axles is the way too go...
    Don't need beefier axles so much as you need to install the steering stops that limit how far you can turn. In stock form how almost all front axles snap is when in reverse, under power either with the wheels turned full lock, or you catch a stump, rock, log something and it spins the wheel out of your hand and goes full lock. In either case, under power in reverse it will hyper extend even further and it'll snap a cv joint in a heartbeat. From about $25 you install these plastic steering blocks. Only slightly reduces your turning radius, but ends broken front cv joints. The high dollar aftermarket axles still break when over extended.

I have well used 6x6 Ranger. feel free to ask questions.

Another vote for the plastic steering stops. I put them on the nifty 2013 LE 570 Razor I bought her, it has engine braking and power steering.

Not that I don't trust her and she is no hot rod trail rider. Just to easy to crank it tight and hit the gas in order to jump logs, bumps, etc.

I also put a 2" lift on it and 26" Mud Lites. Next to a winch I think bigger aggressive tires help, I know you can run a 27" tire, maybe bigger, just don't add any thing that will void that skimpy 6 month warranty!

I like power steering and engine braking and I think the braking makes for a safer machine. My wife's Razor has a place for a spare battery next to her other battery that is under the seat. Fortunately it is the same battery as my 2011 Big Boss 6x6 takes and the spare provides peace of mind. Dead batteries make me cringe, especially miles from assistance.

I really like a front bumper and the best I have seen are from the "ATV GURU" in Arkansas. I carry 2 extra 50' winch lines with a single part shiv that will double the winch pull. I also think if finances permit a rear winch on your beast would be great. Maybe they now have them with quick disconnects for moving from front to rear. You definitely want a good shovel, handy man jack and come along. If you ever put it on it's side ........

Congrats and have fun, they are awesome machines! I should get one........

If you choose to add bigger more aggressive tires I would highly suggest a clutch kit.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I own a 2014 6x6 and while I have modded it about as far as one should there will always be more things to add.

Winch for sure. Maybe look at getting one for the rear as well. The ones where they disconnect and then attach to the front or rear via hitch style doesn't do you a lot of good when your hitch is under the goop.

Highly recommend a skid plate as well. I have the trail armor UHMW skid plate and it will take a literal beating and have little to no markings in it. It is TOUGH.

Depending on water crossings, I also highly recommend a snorkel. Often times I rarely go over the tires, but in stock form it was sad how deep of water would get the belt wet.

Currently have 31" tires on the rig but they will becoming off for a much lighter 30" version. There is a lot that can be done to them and it really comes down to how you would like to personally customize it for your use.

and yes the 31"s also really liked axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That rig looks familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    If you choose to add bigger more aggressive tires I would highly suggest a clutch kit.
    I take it you are happy with your clutch kit. Glad it worked out for you!

Thanks guys
    I do appreciate all the info.
    I do intend to upgrade to heavier/taller tires. No lift kit or swingarm change is in the near future so it will probably be heavy 26s. Seems like 27s may be pushing clearance.
    Tim, got your PM & saw your post on BCR :-). Thanks & will give you a call sometime in the near future. Where do you get the steering stops?
    Alaskankid13, nice looking rig! I think I saw pics somewhere on another forum? Not sure where.
    Right now the plan is for a #4500 Superwinch Tera mounted on the front, & when I have the extra cash another in the rear. In the meantime there will be a #4500 come-along in the rig too.
    Trying to decide whether to make or buy windshield... Will make top.
    Looking forward to getting out to play with this thing but the weather is colder than I want to play in right now.
    I have an early 80s argo that I used in 15 & was starting to fixup the way I want it. Pulled the engine this fall to rebuild but didn't get to it so it's in pieces. Looks like we may be moving out of our place to somewhere else local & now that I have the 6x6 I will probably get rid of the Argo cheap as is so I don't have to mess with it. Pay for new 6x6 tires!
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Vance. I go home on the 16th. I'm a sloper. Get ahold of me and look my rig over and have a beer or two before you start spending money. I've got 28" Gorilla Silverbacks on mine with no lift or arms. I did run 27" itp xtr's on it before that. The 27's actually measure taller than the 28's do. So get real measurements on the tires before you buy them. They are close, but they work. Any taller and the rears will touch each other. Peninsula powersports can order anything you need. Otherwise superatv is a good place to order those steering stops as well as all kinds of other goodies. I do have 4500# winches mounted on both ends of mine. As well as a whole host of other mods that might interest you. Make sure to ask me about skid plates! Yours stock will not hold up very long but there is a simple cheap mod to take care of that BEFORE you destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I take it you are happy with your clutch kit. Glad it worked out for you!
    Yes sir! You didn't steer me wrong on that one that's for sure!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Yes sir! You didn't steer me wrong on that one that's for sure!!
    What clutch did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tim I would enjoy getting a look at your machine & picking your brain. I like tweaking the wheel but hate reinventing it :-)
    I'll give you a day or two to settle in when you get home.
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    What clutch did you go with?

We are running EPI's mudder kit. However we are running lighter weights than what the kit comes with. I did the trial and error til I found the sweet spot. mjm was sable to order the kit with the correct weight's via a phone call. Kit comes with 68g weights and we ended up at with 64's instead if I recall right. Very noticeable difference over stock clutching. Much less belt slippage. Much improved bottom end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are running EPI's mudder kit. However we are running lighter weights than what the kit comes with. I did the trial and error til I found the sweet spot. mjm was sable to order the kit with the correct weight's via a phone call. Kit comes with 68g weights and we ended up at with 64's instead if I recall right. Very noticeable difference over stock clutching. Much less belt slippage. Much improved bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    What he said!
    I'll also add that shifting into low range is not needed nearly as much.

Clutching... One more thing to add to the list...
    Vance in AK.

If you really want the sweet clutch set up, I have a Duraclutch and it's pretty sweet. Clutch kits are much much cheaper though and if you're just sticking to 25"-28" tires that will be a okay. Just found the duraclutch to help with the massive tires.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    If you really want the sweet clutch set up, I have a Duraclutch and it's pretty sweet. Clutch kits are much much cheaper though and if you're just sticking to 25"-28" tires that will be a okay. Just found the duraclutch to help with the massive tires.

Thanks. Right now no suspension mods are in the plans so I won't be going bigger than 27".
    Vance in AK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast