Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I've been told from the circle of folks that I know who have them, use them, baby them, or trash them all say the same thing...
    Upgrade to beefier front axles is the way too go...
    Breaking cv's is cheaper than a differential. Keep in mind that factory tolerances are designed for engineered breaking points. If you upgrade to tougher cv's then you risk the differential being the weak link. Gorilla and Rhino axles can and have stripped the splines in the diff rather than break at the cv. $1400 for a diff and not many people carry a spare diff. Carrying around some spare cv's is way easier and cheaper. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Don't need beefier axles so much as you need to install the steering stops that limit how far you can turn. In stock form how almost all front axles snap is when in reverse, under power either with the wheels turned full lock, or you catch a stump, rock, log something and it spins the wheel out of your hand and goes full lock. In either case, under power in reverse it will hyper extend even further and it'll snap a cv joint in a heartbeat. From about $25 you install these plastic steering blocks. Only slightly reduces your turning radius, but ends broken front cv joints. The high dollar aftermarket axles still break when over extended.

I have well used 6x6 Ranger. feel free to ask questions.
    I plan on getting one of these machines in the future and that is the most useful thing I've heard on this topic.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    I own a 2014 6x6 and while I have modded it about as far as one should there will always be more things to add.

Winch for sure. Maybe look at getting one for the rear as well. The ones where they disconnect and then attach to the front or rear via hitch style doesn't do you a lot of good when your hitch is under the goop.

Highly recommend a skid plate as well. I have the trail armor UHMW skid plate and it will take a literal beating and have little to no markings in it. It is TOUGH.

Depending on water crossings, I also highly recommend a snorkel. Often times I rarely go over the tires, but in stock form it was sad how deep of water would get the belt wet.

Currently have 31" tires on the rig but they will becoming off for a much lighter 30" version. There is a lot that can be done to them and it really comes down to how you would like to personally customize it for your use.

and yes the 31"s also really liked axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    First off, WOW! nice looking rig, those tires really make it look like a beast.

a few questions if you dont mind...

how large can you go before you start rubbing the tires together?
    Did you upgrade your gearing for the larger tires?
    It looks like you have a lot of extra room between your lock-box and cab area, did you modify your area behind the cab or did you special order it like that?
    Josh

27.5" is the end on tired before they touch. I've run itp xtr 27's and am now on 28" Silverbacks. The 28's are actually shorter than my 27's were. That is very common in the atv tireally world. Very few run true to size.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    First off, WOW! nice looking rig, those tires really make it look like a beast.

a few questions if you dont mind...

how large can you go before you start rubbing the tires together?
    Did you upgrade your gearing for the larger tires?
    It looks like you have a lot of extra room between your lock-box and cab area, did you modify your area behind the cab or did you special order it like that?

Don't let the tires fool ya! It's only cool looking! Can't really spin those beasts like I would hope, getting lighter ones soon.

As stated, the largest you can go is usually 27" with a few 28" tires being able to fit.

On the front you can fit I believe up to 28" tires before you start to rub without forward arched a-arms.

There are two known ways to fit bigger tires in the back.

1. Get arched a-arms to give you more spacing.

2. Extend the frame. We extended the frame on ours by I believe 7" in order to comfortably fit 31"s.

Gear sadly cannot be changed on these machines other than clutching. So we bought a duraclutch which is AMAZING, but still wasn't enough to really run these tires.

Front axles do break. Currently am running open trail axles I believe that I get from A2D Motorsports here in anchorage. They hold up great and I haven't blown a front diff yet....currently have a blown transmission however(main reason I don't recommend going to the big tires, at least not the heavy 8ply ones.). I find that middle axles break just as often and the only option I've found to replace oem there is American CV, but they don't hold up very well with these tires. However they just recently came out with a "heavy duty" version, so that'll get tested next.

I don't have steering stops on mine, but I am aware of going full lock and am careful when I choose too.

Let me know how those heavy duty centers hold up for you. You are correct. I cant count how many center axles I've gone through. Only a couple of fronts. One, I hit something and sheared the whole corner off. Upper and lower a arms, shaft, and tie rod. Got lucky with the shock. The other was backing up and turned about half way til a tire caught something and flung it out of my hand. SNAP! I hate that sound. lol

I broke a transmission 2 years ago hunting. In part, my fault. Just ran out of power and had enough traction to wheel hop. I didn't back out as I was just shy of the crest of my climb. Boom.

This year I broke the first driveshaft off of the transmission. This means I lost drive to all 4 rears. I tried to limp it out empty, and very easy on just the front wheel drive. Didn't take long before I blew the front differential.

Like alaskankid13, The majority of my issues have been due to very very aggressive tires. Go ahead and go large. But opt for something much tamer in terms of tread design. No deep deep heavy lugd tires. The drive train just doesn't hold up to it. Great rigs. I do love mine. I just need to learn what it takes to keep it in one piece. Part of that is the steering stops. Or if you have ever driven any sxs with powersteering, that too is an option that would end that issue. You feel zero bump steer in the wheel. You will never have the wheel spun out of your hand with power steering.

So... ITP mudlites are going to be too aggressive for this machine... that kinda bites, I love them on my 2000 Grizzly.

How hard/ expensive was it to extend your frame? Its always good to have more storage room, and that way you could put a larger lock box on the bed.

edit- where did you get that bed frame/ cage, or did you make it? (it looks really useful.)
    Josh

Default New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

Extending the frame was fairly easy. However, it is not a project for the faint of heart. I did not pioneer the idea, just went off of another forum members design making my own modifications here and there. There are a lot of steps involved. Extending brake lines, driveshaft, clearing the front tires so they don't hit the fenders, stripping the frame down to access the parts getting extended.

The driveline just can't hold up too well to these big tires. Trust me I've looked at swapping in a 1000 motor/transmission/etc. but by then why even use Polaris parts. The 800 motor is pretty weak to be honest and from different guys I've talked to you can never really "spin" these tires, or any tires much over 27".

Mudlites should be fine.

My next tires will probably be maxxis zillas. Super light, pretty cheap and have taken the other 6x6 I've seen perform almost the same places I go.

I actually have no interest in larger than 26" tires (thats all i have on my grizz) im not looking for a mud toy, not interested in spinning the tires like the mud freak people do. I do like the extended frame for extra room for more fuel (30 gallon fuel cell), i am always concerned about running out.
    I like having a good utility machine that can be relied on and do all the work i need, and then some. For the most part i like keeping my vehicles stock, that is the best way to keep them lasting the longest. Yes stretching the frame is not stock but its not exactly going to stress the machine out either, which is what usually happens when people modify their vehicles.

I had a friend that kept putting bigger and bigger tires on his truck, more and more HP to move those tires, i told him he needed to beef up the rest of his drive train and he refused to listen to me, and he fragged out his tranny, drive shaft, diff's, transfer case... i think he broke 4 or 5 axles too. Watching that drama unfold all the time taught me to pretty much leave it as stock as you can, and if you do want to play... do it right.
    Josh

I am really enjoying all you are sharing here. Like Josh reliability is king for me but I love to tinker & build. As I modify mine I will be looking for that fine line where performance & reliability meet.
    Right now it is sitting forlorn in the snow & 30mph wind behind the house. Bought it new about 3 weeks now & it has exactly 1 mile on it... :-( Anyone else tired of cold snowy windy and dark?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I am really enjoying all you are sharing here. Like Josh reliability is king for me but I love to tinker & build. As I modify mine I will be looking for that fine line where performance & reliability meet.
    Right now it is sitting forlorn in the snow & 30mph wind behind the house. Bought it new about 3 weeks now & it has exactly 1 mile on it... :-( Anyone else tired of cold snowy windy and dark?
    First mod. Pull the **** air restrictor out of the intake. 2 minutes. Zero dollars. 8hp. That one is a no brainer. Thank lawyers for it being in there in the first place.

Another suggestion for anyone either about to buy one, or who recently has, opt for the optional 5 yr extended warranty. I normally don't on wheelers. But on this thing, it pays to do so if you use them alot.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    First mod. Pull the **** air restrictor out of the intake. 2 minutes. Zero dollars. 8hp. That one is a no brainer. Thank lawyers for it being in there in the first place.

Another suggestion for anyone either about to buy one, or who recently has, opt for the optional 5 yr extended warranty. I normally don't on wheelers. But on this thing, it pays to do so if you use them alot.
    The restrictor will be coming out but I'm waiting for the weather to get good enough that I can get a good feel for it with the restrictor before I pull it so I will be able to feel the actual difference so I know for my self.
    Can you give me an idea what the extended warranty covers & what it doesn't? We started to discuss it at the dealer & got sidetracked.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    The restrictor will be coming out but I'm waiting for the weather to get good enough that I can get a good feel for it with the restrictor before I pull it so I will be able to feel the actual difference so I know for my self.
    Can you give me an idea what the extended warranty covers & what it doesn't? We started to discuss it at the dealer & got sidetracked.
    Just be dam ed sure you put your restrictor back in if you ever need to bring your machine in for warranty work. I've been warned that having the restrictor pulled while at the dealer will void the warranty. I just threw mine in the glove box so it was always handy.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

The extended warranty will not cover wear items. Ie... belts wheel bearings tie rod ends brakes. Most all of which you will eat up before your warranty is over. But it will cover axle shafts if you are close to stock, differentials transmissions engine and computer parts.

Resurrecting an old thread 😀. I'm looking at picking one of these up, most likely next spring. I keep hearing about weak transmissions, any truth to this or is it just haters hating. If so, is there a way to bullet proof the tranny? This thread has been a great read as I've been searching the webs there are not many conversations about these machines.
    Any of you guys looked into Portals instead of lift kits. I have read lift kits are hard on CV shafts because of the extreme angles.

https://www.superatv.com/polaris-ran...al-gear-lift-1

Alaskankid13: that is a cool looking 6er and pretty close to what I'm picturing, with the exception of the extension all though I like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread . I'm looking at picking one of these up, most likely next spring. I keep hearing about weak transmissions, any truth to this or is it just haters hating. If so, is there a way to bullet proof the tranny? This thread has been a great read as I've been searching the webs there are not many conversations about these machines.
    Any of you guys looked into Portals instead of lift kits. I have read lift kits are hard on CV shafts because of the extreme angles.

https://www.superatv.com/polaris-ran...al-gear-lift-1

Alaskankid13: that is a cool looking 6er and pretty close to what I'm picturing, with the exception of the extension all though I like the idea.
    Well if you haven't bought one yet, You are out of luck other than picking up a used one. Polaris dropped them from their lineup for 2018. A coworker called around the state a couple days ago looking for a new one and couldn't find one. They may be gone for good.

Well, that's not good news.

Default New Ranger 800 6x6. Suggested mods?

We are looking at portals, not per say for the lift factor, but to help take the strain off of the transmission and differentials. That is still down the road however.

I lost a transmission last fall while moose hunting. Expensive, even with friends in the right places.

Something a fellow 6x6 owner has recommended is run 75% Polaris tranny fluid and 25% Lucas synthetic additive. About to do this myself.

So what did I do to help make this transmission last longer?? We went down to 30" tires with 14" non-beadlock rims. Last year believe it or not the tire/rim combo weighed 69lbs a piece! Now we're down to 52lbs a piece. HUGE difference in how the machine handles the tires now.

Dont be dismayed that they discontinued the 6x6. There are actually a few really good deals on them on Craigslist right now especially compared to what we paid for ours. Word on the street is they're working on a new 6x6 but who really knows.

The beast we owns has
    7" frame extension
    Forward arched a-arms
    Duraclutch with lighter weights
    Fuel programmer
    20" lightbar
    Custom plywood roof
    Custom flatbed as well as custom rack on stock bed
    30" ITP Cryptids
    14" rims
    Front differential steel cradle
    SuperATV Sprague in the front diff
    Trail Armor skid plate
    Heavy duty axles all around
    Rackzilla steering rack
    Snorkel

I've torn this thing completely apart a time or two and am always adding too it. Shoot me any questions!

Hopefully they are just reworking them and bring em back. I think they did this once before a few years ago. I guess we'll see, I'd rather have a new one over a used one but....

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Hopefully they are just reworking them and bring em back. I think they did this once before a few years ago. I guess we'll see, I'd rather have a new one over a used one but....
    I agree, I'll be in the market for one in a few years, I hope they are around again.
    Josh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast