Thread: Galley or no Galley?

Default Galley or no Galley?

Looking at a 26' Hewescraft Alaskan. Galley or no Galley... Who has one and do you use it?

I've had a boat long ago with a Galley and all it seemed it was good for was accumulating junk. I'm interested in those that have one, how often they use it.

Had one and never used it. Would rather have food in coolers on the deck than in the frig and found we prefer to cook outside all the time anyway. Ended up removing the frig and putting in shelves. We have a Wallas but rarely turn it on. For us, having a galley was a waste and things like a fridge were just a bunch of extra weight.

I think it depends how you plan to use the boat. If you mostly do day trips a cooking area isn't so important. But if you go out for overnight and longer then I think it's pretty nice to be able to sit down at a table, out of rain and cook something good to eat after fishing all day. I would skip the fridge. I have an ice hold in my bow that I like. I load it with glacier ice and it keeps my fish and beer cold all week and I pull ice out of it to replenish cooler ice. But I always have at least one cooler on deck

We rarely do day trips so fur us a galley is really nice to have. It does take up some room but for us it's worth it.
    Now if I rarely did overnight trips I think a galley wouldn't be necessary. It depends on how you plan to use your boat, we use ours as more of a motor home on the water.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I agree with Tony, it's all about how you intend on using the boat. Personally we use our galley all the time. But we try and go out for a few days at a time. As others have mentioned, I too have a grill, that we use on the deck but I have found that it does not replace the galley. It makes all the difference with my wife too. We all know how that works, happy wife......

We have the galley and is really nice to be able to have the option if its cold or rainy to sit down inside and eat/card games. Also had the fridge installed in this boat to and I my eyes is a must have. No more digging for stuff in a cooler and wet and soggy food. Actually amazing at how much you can fit in it. I also strapped a 205 qt cooler on the roof and fill it with glacier ice and use it for mainly cleaned fish. Now I have a back deck with no clutter of coolers in the way and its all fishing business in the back !!
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

We do not do day trips only go out for 3 to 5 days at a time and i would not trade anything for my galley. I have set up a Coleman gas stove /oven in the place where there was a single seat and there is a sink with 12v pump for water. If you want to have large groups on board and more seating, do day trips then don't do the galley. It is by far as valued as the heater for us.

Sweepint
    Wasilla,
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

i use mine often. cook on the deck yeah, rrriiight. i have a fish hold for ice and catch. a fridge in the galley for use soon stuff and the cooler in the hold for need to use in a few days.

Agreed - happy wife, happy life. No way my wife would cook in the cabin, she much prefers to keep the mess and heat congestion outside and be in the fresh air. We do eat inside on occasion and we have a nice canopy over the deck, which keeps off both rain and sun. We typically have 2-4 adults and a few kids on board and a dog our 28' boat.

FYI, we don't do day trips either - usually we are out for 3-6 nights on the water. Different styles for different folks, hard to go wrong though . . .

The OP asked specifically who has a 26' Hewes Alaskan. Not "Who has a boat with a galley". The Alaska does not have a cuddly like the Pacifuc Cruiser or Pacific Exploreror so contemplating a galley versus seating for the Alaskan is a huge deal. The Alaskan is a large day boat that has limited overnight accommodations compared to the 26' Pacifuc Cruiser/Explorer.

Just my two sense.

Our previous boat was an Alaskan 260 with the galley. We took the ice box out and built shelves for much needed storage. The sink and stove came in very handy for us. But we used out boat for more than just day trips.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have a 260 Alaskan without a galley. We rarely do overnighters, and when we do, a Jetboil is all we need to make coffee. My previos boat had a galley, and it was used primarily to store fishing gear.

Please read OP again, sounds like he is asking who has galley and who actually uses it?
    Just my two sense
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Please read OP again, sounds like he is asking who has galley and who actually uses it?
    Just my two sense
    noted.

Just my too cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    We rarely do day trips so fur us a galley is really nice to have. It does take up some room but for us it's worth it.
    Now if I rarely did overnight trips I think a galley wouldn't be necessary. It depends on how you plan to use your boat, we use ours as more of a motor home on the water.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Agree with Tony. Galley is worth it. Larger than normal sink is nice. Usually the counters are too low on a boat. Ours are a few inches higher than normal and its noticeable. ( Allows another drawer also due to higher counter, which we appreciate.) See no reason for a fridge on our boat.

Most cooking is done outside to keep smells to a minimum. A table to eat at, look at charts, etc... is very nice.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I have a 26' Alaskan that had a fridge, sink, and cooking grill. I would much rather have a manageable table than any of those. A cooler works for a fridge, the sink is a clean 5 gallon bucket, and the grill is my portable bbq. When you get rid of the fridge, sink, and cooking grill you make a lot of storage space which is a premium on the Alaskan. Besides, I much prefer washing my hands outside in salt water and cooking outside on the deck, keeping food cool in a cooler with glacial ice works fine and keeping the cooler in the bow works great.

I use mine all of the time, but I have a berth up front so sleeping room isn't a problem. We generally go out for 4-10 days at a whack, and with PWS weather we end up cooking inside a good bit of the time. We eat good, the grill is always going on the back deck, but it sure is nice to have another burner for veggies and what not. The icebox..... Well, to put it nicely, its a piece of crap. Either upgrade to a fridge or remove it and put in shelves as others have stated. I'm planning on pulling mine out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    The icebox..... Well, to put it nicely, its a piece of crap. Either upgrade to a fridge or remove it and put in shelves as others have stated. I'm planning on pulling mine out next year.

Agreed and true. Lol