Thread: The Permanent Fund is peanuts compared to...

Default The Permanent Fund is peanuts compared to...

Looks like the US Govt. want to spend nearly $100,000 per household so some rural residents can live the life style they want while urban residents continue to pay their way: https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/12...nfrastructure/

This on top of all the other subsidizes for healthcare, communications, transportation etc. etc. for these subsistence rural dwellers. And in addition to paying for them so they can live there they want to live, the US Govt. wants me to sacrifice some of my hunting and fishing rights to the same rural residents.

I'd rather see the money spent to develop more roads to rural areas and give urban residents more access to our state so the rest of us can have more areas to hunt and fish, enjoy the outdoors, and develop our resources. But the rural residents object to more roads because it may interfere with their subsistence life style - go figure that one out!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default The Permanent Fund is peanuts compared to...

The drinking water side of the ADEC has sold out to the EPA. In order to comply with EPA regulations, the state will need EPA dollars. Sad to see it go that way. The alternative is the villages and rural areas get so run down and noncompliant that they become inhabitable and we all move to town.

There's still plenty of federal money being spent in urban areas in Alaska also if that is any consolation.

"One of my top priorities has been to ensure that the federal government realizes its responsibilities to provide basic infrastructure for its citizens," Sullivan said.

A fella should just ponder on that statement for a while.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

"For Alaska, investment in such infrastructure is crucial. More than 3,300 rural Alaska homes lack running water and a flush toilet, which leads to serious health issues. This is unacceptable," Sullivan said.

I really don't know how the wife and kids and I ever survived hauling water and using an outhouse for so many years.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default typical..

The basic request for handouts from a federal government that is rapidly accumulating a debt that will likely impossible to ever repay. The politicians think Washington is a infinite source of funds.

So while the tax paying citizens of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Kenai, etc. are expected to pay for their basic services plus a large monthly cost of running those services, the rural residents expect to get all their services paid for by others i.e. the federal government via tax payers and/or debt accumulation.

This will all have to come to a stop some time. Our natural resources - by far and away oil in Alaska- can't pick up the bills forever.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    "One of my top priorities has been to ensure that the federal government realizes its responsibilities to provide basic infrastructure for its citizens," Sullivan said.

A fella should just ponder on that statement for a while.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default serious health issues..

Been there, done that - and I survived also.

I remember visiting my aunt when she had a well, outhouse, and no electricity or phone- and she wasn't in a rural area, she was just poor. She died a few years ago at 102- must have been a health problem from no water or sewer system.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    "For Alaska, investment in such infrastructure is crucial. More than 3,300 rural Alaska homes lack running water and a flush toilet, which leads to serious health issues. This is unacceptable," Sullivan said.

I really don't know how the wife and kids and I ever survived hauling water and using an outhouse for so many years.....

Where do you get this idea that YOU are paying for it........REALLY. It is funded by printing phony worthless U.S. Treasury Notes and Treasury Bills, which are snookered onto other countries, and U.S. Pension Funds. I fail to understand why people can't that the whole financial system is a massive scam and con. Stop worrying about paying, and start praying that the scam that the world financial system is, last for a few more weeks or days or months or years. Enjoy the good life, because you will hate life when the music stops.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The basic request for handouts from a federal government that is rapidly accumulating a debt that will likely impossible to ever repay. The politicians think Washington is a infinite source of funds.

So while the tax paying citizens of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Kenai, etc. are expected to pay for their basic services plus a large monthly cost of running those services, the rural residents expect to get all their services paid for by others i.e. the federal government via tax payers and/or debt accumulation.

This will all have to come to a stop some time. Our natural resources - by far and away oil in Alaska- can't pick up the bills forever.

Well it's good to know that .22 shells and groundhog hides will always be a useful currency.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Well it's good to know that .22 shells and groundhog hides will always be a useful currency.

YEP.......You can't argue that .22 shells have been a great investment, and have held their value relative to paper money. I don't know about groundhog hides, I did sell the meat long, long ago.

This thread has nothing to do with Alaska Natural Resource Management.