Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama prohibits oil drilling in most US Arctic waters

You hit the nail on the head truesubsistence! I worked in the oil industry for 30 years and left ten years ago to follow my dream of bush living. I found out there is a hell of lot more to life than an an oil rig! As your name states, Subsistence is for the strong and willing! Live life don't be afraid of it!

You need to do a little research there Traku, the world market has everything to do with it. You ever been in the oil patch? You don't remember that saying, please Lord let there be another boom, I promise I wont piss this one away. Let's be honest here.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. In what way did Obama's policy loose jobs for Alaskan oil workers?

Do you honestly believe that he is so all powerful that he manipulated the price of oil to rediculasly low levels? He somehow conspired with the oil companies to force them to not produce known oil reserves from leases they have owned for 30+ years?

If you are at all knowlegeble on state oil policy and production then you are quite aware that the vast majority of oil production is on state owened land in Alaska and the Federal Government can only do so much. And of course, congress is involved in just about anything that is done on federal land.

You were paying attention when the largest arctic offshore oil leases in history were auctioned off, were'nt you? They were done under the Obama administration by the way. Oh yea, they were also a huge waste of time. Were you listening when the NPRA leases were conducted under the Obama administration. Those are federal, and the huge new field discovered by Armstrong is on Federally leased NPRA land. So, in what way has he contributed to the decline of Alaska oil jobs?

Lets all admit, offshore oil production is a risky business. Personally, I would rather see production in Bristol Bay before I saw production offshore in the arctic. However, it's not up to me.

Dang, that's two forum members in a row with some common sense! Gotta be a record!

As always both share the blame. To say the current administration has had NO impact is ludicrous.

[QUOTE=Derby06;1575516]As always both share the blame. To say the current administration has had NO impact is ludicrous.[/Q

Have you actually researched how much the Obama administration allowed in federal drilling?

Yea and all that pops up is all the arctic drilling he just locked up...lol
    This was not a surprise to Big Oil--They are in the know. Heck we were all in the know. This administration blocked arctic drilling just over a year ago as well.
    Although this latest block may have just been signed; if Big Oil didn't think this was a possibility (now reality) they very well may have invested more in Alaska.

IN EDIT: Let us not forget about all of the environmental restrictions and regulations that were placed by this administration. That has a big impact as well.

Oh I know all about regulations and the oilfield. Thing is regulations are needed when it comes to Big oil. Trust me! I spent a lot of time in court with Oil Companies Regarding spills, falsefied IADC reports, Falsified Blow out preventer test, on and on and on! Needless to say I no longer work for the big brother! I know that most Indigenous Peoples think it's great.

Are regulations needed ? Yes Absolutely.
    But when things are falsified are more and more restrictions and regulations needed? or Helpful? No and No absolutely not.

Enforcement is the answer. All giving them more requirements does is make them more likely to cheat, because there is MORE red tape.

Ah yes enforcement! Indeed it's the answer. Unfortunately the way the system is set up the oil companies get to investigate themselves! AOGC for example is funded by the oil companies. We agree for the most part Derby06, Nice to Chat with some one who sees both ends of the table! As 30 year oilfield hand I know petroleum products are a need, but as a person who lives off road and away from the hustle and bustle I also see the other side. Alternative energy is what I'm interested in. Know that I will always need fuel, especially for my plane but also know I can do my part to create a better environment and cost effective way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by truesubsistence View Post
    Get off your ass, educate yourself and find work in a profession that is in demand. The loss of oil jobs in the state has nothing to do with Obama policy. It is a world wide oil surplus. If you are unemployed, it is by choice.
    I wouldn't wish loss of economy on my worst enemy. This is a very sad thing to witness, hard working guys and gals up there loosing their jobs that support their families. It's not easy for everyone to re-create themselves. Another rough thing for our state, is fur prices are down. Some trappers won't even sell their catch this year.

My whole town virtually disappeared back home in Maine, when the papermills shut down. Everyone scattered and left to other places for work. No more old fashioned ways anymore, with everyone spread out.

I don't want this to ever happen to Alaska. I'm hopeful though, hang tough to you guys and gals who've lost jobs, don't hesitate to ask your friends or family for help, or even programs that the state offers.

Commissioner Heidi spoke well in the 2017 fiscal report:

" Our 2017 economic forecast projects thatjob losses will continue in all sectors excepthealth care, and layoffs will acceleratein sectors such as retail as the rippleeffect of job losses impact aggregate demandand consumer spending.Job losses in oil, construction, and thepublic sector have been so extensive theyare causing further job losses in businessand professional services, transportation,and leisure and hospitality. The contractionof demand for Alaska’s workers is soacute that even the growing tourism industrycan’t make up lost revenue for ourhotels and restaurants. The single sectorin which we project economic growthnext year is health care, and that sectoris at risk if Congress repeals Medicaidexpansion.Simply put, Alaska’s economic health isin peril and will be catastrophic if theAlaska Legislature fails to pass a sustainablebudget. In the absence of a fiscalplan, job losses will continue, populationloss is inevitable, and the weak job marketwill have negative ripple effects onreal estate.I lived through the 1980s, when joblosses in construction nearly forced myfamily out of state to find work. I don’twant to go back to an era when one infive Alaskans lost a home."

http://labor.alaska.gov/trends/jan17.pdf

One thing about the oilfield, if you make it your career you should plan on bumps in the road. It is an occupation driven by markets. Don't spend all your money on toys. Save some!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12