Thread: Sweaty Feet

Default Sweaty Feet

I've been training for this fall's sheep hunt by hiking and climbing. The one problem I have had is that my feet sweat so much, I have a hard time not getting blisters either on the way up or the way down. What is a good remidy for this. The boots are goot and the socks are good (Thorlos).

Default sweaty feet

I have used unscented underarm deoderant on my feet and this helps, you can also use good synthetic wicking hiking socks on top of that and if you have to, change your socks a couple times a day when your taking a break. good luck.............

Thorlos are fine, but have you tried Smartwools? They do much better for my feet. Wouldn't hurt to try a pair out.

-Brian

Default Liners

great suggestions above...

I'll throw mine out as well... Use unscented anti-persperant spray and add a pair of Fox River Xstatic liners under your Thorlos or smartwools... They are super thin base layer, anti-fungi/bacteria and help regulate temp and moisture.

Pay attention to putting them on... There is an inside and an outside... If worn right the inner part of the sock sort of grips the skin while the outer is real slick and takes all the rubbing...

I started wearing them for hunts but now wear them under every sock, every day...

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag
    great suggestions above...

Use unscented anti-persperant spray and add a pair of Fox River Xstatic liners under your Thorlos or smartwools... They are super thin base layer, anti-fungi/bacteria and help regulate temp and moisture.

Pay attention to putting them on... There is an inside and an outside... If worn right the inner part of the sock sort of grips the skin while the outer is real slick and takes all the rubbing...

I started wearing them for hunts but now wear them under every sock, every day...
    This is the best thing you can do anti-persperant and polypropoline sock liners under your normal socks. Smart wool socks are really nice but they seem to make my feet sweat like crazy so I use miliary green X Static socks. I did this throughout SF Selection and over the 300 or so miles in 2 weeks no blisters. Sweaty feet is just something you need to learn to deal with, change socks often and powder them. The only problem w/ the anti-persperent is your feet will become dependant on it and will sweet easier when you don't use it. Sock liners will be your best investment!!

Default Feet

BF:
    I have struggle with this problem my entire career and tried all the suggestions. Layered socks or powder help a bit. But hunting my boots get wet from the outside or the inside from sweat, but either way they always get wet and therefore miserable. The only solution I have found is plastic boots. I tried them for the first time and was sold. My feet were dry from start to finish for the past three years hunting no matter how much my feet sweat. Just pour the water out. But, I dont wear them for training or hiking as they arent too good for your knees though. Good luck.

Default Thor-Lo socks

I think the problem you're having with Thor-Los is traceable to the fact that they're non-absorbent. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but if you could train with cotton socks to toughen you feet up first, then switch to synthetics, perhaps you would have less blistering problems. It might be worth a try. Foot powder also does help, but only on a limited basis, and you have to keep applying it. I like the tip of trying Smartwool; they probably absorb slightly better than Thor-Lo socks.

Let us know if any of this helped! Lots of us out here with the same problem.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking Then there is...

Botox! ;-)

Seriously, if you truly have a problem with excessive sweating, whether it be on palms, soles, arm pits, etc you can talk to your physician about the problem. If he/she deems it to be a medical issue, botox injection can be considered to decrease sweating in those problematic areas. Botox isn't just for wrinkles!

Default Merino Wool is the best

With regard to socks I know there are many synthetics out there but my experience has been that Merino Wool socks (85% or more) are the best. I have been wearing them for years. In the past I have bought "generic brands for 5 bucks a pair that were great and now I have some columbias that I got on clearance at Fred Meyers for 5 bucks a pair. I think smartwools like B_M mentioned are mostly Merino Wool also. But, if you shop around you don't have to spend 15 bucks a pair on merino wool socks. In my recent training for sheep hunting I too have been sweating like a pig. When I take my socks off they are wringing wet with sweat but my skin is dry and I wear two pair. I can't explain it but the Merino Wool seems to wick and absorb. They also dry quick in a breeze.

The other thing you can do to help toughen the skin on your feet is to apply rubbing alchohol to them daily for a period of time.
    Last edited by Snyd; 06-26-2006 at 10:30.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd
    With regard to socks I know there are many synthetics out there but my experience has been that Merino Wool socks (85% or more) are the best. I have been wearing them for years. In the past I have bought "generic brands for 5 bucks a pair that were great and now I have some columbias that I got on clearance at Fred Meyers for 5 bucks a pair. I think smartwools like B_M mentioned are mostly Merino Wool also. But, if you shop around you don't have to spend 15 bucks a pair on merino wool socks. In my recent training for sheep hunting I too have been sweating like a pig. When I take my socks off they are wringing wet with sweat but my skin is dry and I wear two pair. I can't explain it but the Merino Wool seems to wick and absorb. They also dry quick in a breeze.

The other thing you can do to help toughen the skin on your feet is to apply rubbing alchohol to them daily for a period of time.
    On the note of cheaper socks REI sells socks almost identical to smart wool the only difference is like 3% more spandex which isn't anything to take concern with. I used them with great results and after 3 years finely got streched out and some hole well REI has a lifetime warrenty on all their namebrand items so I took them back 3 years later and got some new socks at no charge. I think they are like $5 a pair. You can't beat that socks with a lifetime warrenty.

Default Dry Feet Ideas

From a medical standpoint, liberally use a spray deodorant with aluminum chloride as an ingredient. Keep it with you and repeat as needed.

For the socks, I picked up some Fox River brand in the PX in Mosul last fall. They are the best socks I've worn in 19 years of wearing combat boots. They were $7 a pair. I was so impressed with the first pair, I ended up buying 9 more pair: they are that good.

Default Under Armor

I too have been training for a warm weather sheep hunt and have tried about everything to keep my feet from sweating. Best thing that I have come up with is the Under Armor athletic socks. They are just plain old white socks made with Under Armor's blend of synthetics. My feet still sweat but they sweat less than when I use the Smart Wools or any other sock that I would normally wear. They also pull the mositure away from my feet and have been working great in preventing blisters.