Thread: Guided float hunt

Default Guided float hunt

I'm considering a float hunt for my teen son & I, but would prefer to have a guide on our first trip. I see a lot of DIY posts, which I'd like to do some time, but not much on guide info.

We're both avid whitetail hunters and fishermen from L48, but I fully appreciate the many unknown challenges a float trip in remote Alaska could bring.

Any advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What do you want to do on this float trip? Fish,moose,caribou, bears?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The owner of this site, Mike Strahan, is a hunt planner. Perhaps with his shared knowledge a DIY isn't out of reach.

Would definitely be easier on the wallet, which you'd rather use on taxidermy I'm sure.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorssupersite.c.../instructional

My $0.02.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Unless you pick a real rough or tiny river, most of a float trips is really quite easy, you'll be more limited by the plane that drops you off than what a raft can hold, pretty easy to stay comfy.

If this is for moose I couldn't imagine adding the expense of a guide if you guys have a head on your shoulders, read up, listen to the advice given, and have broken down animals before. Caribou are either there or they're not, and calling for moose is about as easy as it gets....hard part is carrying them back to camp.

I'd look more at Strahan's operation than a full blown guide. You'll both get more out of it this way as well.

I was in similar position a few years ago, ended up going on a multi species float hunt through an outfitter, got lucky and Mike Strahan was my guide. I have been hunting and in the outdoors all my life In Louisiana and Mississippi, and I could not of imagined doing my first trip to Alaska without a guide. Mike did an excellent write up of our trip and it is posted on this forum titled moose float hunt 2015 and is currently on the second page of this forum. I was fortunate enough to get a trophy bull moose. Contact me through PM and I would be happy to discusss any other details.

I say to each their own. As a few have said, float hunts can be done DIY. Many have gone this route. They can also be done guided. I guide float hunts, and before that have done many DIY hunts in Alaska. As an Alaska resident, who grew up in the culture of this style of hunting, for this type of game. I learned more by osmosis than I will ever realize. When things go well, it can be a fairly "easy" hunt (to a person with a vast base of hunting experience in remote Alaska- maybe not as much to a guy that walks from his truck to a blind or tree stand a few weekends a year). When Murphy shows up, though, the more experience a guy has the better it will end up. Its all about logistics. How do you transfer 800 pounds of meat, cape and antler from the kill site to your raft? How do you load and unload your raft multiple times between kill and takeout? How do you ensure the meat doesn't spoil? How far is too far when it comes to killing your moose, then packing back to the raft? And all important, how are you sure the moose is legal? I mean, a little 45" bull is still 5 times as big as an enormous whitetail! These questions come up over coffee and on forums, between long time Alaskan hunters, all the time. Its not unreasonable at all to look into a guide, and doesn't hurt your "man credit" at all. If you do end up with a guide, prepare to pitch in and help as much as you can. Treat it as a team effort, and you'll have a great time!

IMO, i'd consider a couple of these points before you choose any guide:

1. What experience are you hoping to have with your son? The caliber of an adventure and the personalities of the group and guide are important considerations. Interview at least 3 guides to decide which one feels like the best match for you and your son's personality. The trip experience starts here. If you make this decision based on cost or area or harvest goals, but overlook how well you'll get along personally on the hunt...error!

2. What kind of setting do you dream about? Setting your expectations of this and stating that to your potential guide is a critical second step. Some guide use areas are in areas where timber is thick and you hunt flat terrain from the river (no good vanatages). Other guide use areas are in more open settings with mixes of tundra and spruce growth. Still others are in the mountains with a mix of both habitats and good vantage points. These are some ideas of how to flesh out your own expectations. A good guide will help you shape this image before you come, so that you are on tract for having a delivery of reasonable expectations and a good fit for personality, competency, and professionalism.

Hope this helps.

Three outfits I'd recommend you start with for Southcentral Interior to Brooks Range. I mention these over others only because of the personality types I'm familiar with and I generalized your comments internally for a best guess of where to steer you.

Dave Morris (Brooks Range 907-457-1240)

Rod Panghorn / Wayne Kubat (Southcentral / Interior) 907-378-1851

Mike Strahan (because i believe he's a chameleon of personality types and has a good overall reputation)
    https://pristineventures.com