Thread: Honda Running Prob.

Default Honda Running Prob.

i have a honda foreman 400. it is cutting out and missing under a load, but runs great under a light load. i thought it was a fuel starvtion prob. and checked out the carb but didn't see anything. talking with the guys at honda, i pulled off the carb and had them clean it with their ultra sonic cleaner, with no luck. the flow from the tank tested fine. i also noticed that the spark plug has a light sooty layer meaning rich. the seal on the choke plunger was scored so i replaced that too. they also mentioned to check the valve clearance which checked great. i have checked everything i can come up with and if anyone has any ideas, or who would be a good person to take this to for repair would be great.... help!

Red face Honda 400 issues...

My guess would say that the valves might have good clearance as you indicated, but they're worn and might need replaced. I'm not sure about if there are valve guides or not, but if they are in there, they could have crapped out on ya. Garbage is getting by or through the valves somehow to coat the plug as you described. If you're lucky, maybe a good valve cleaning is all you need. That would be my guess... Since you have a 400, this bike is at least 3-4 years old, correct? If you bought it new, did you adjust the valves like the Honda manual recommended right after break in? Hondas can be finicky that way. It might explain the performance problem. Good luck...

You could check the spark arrestor.

i didn't do a cylinder balance test to check if i have any leakage past the valves, good idea. i did adjust the valves after the first 100 hours or so, but not since then, and they are still good to go. on the other reply about the spark arrestor, how do you check that? the bike does back fire on decelerating down a hill every now and then. are you thinking plugged exhaust? thanks for the responces.