Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Raptor

Default 375 Raptor

I know its still pretty new but has anyone messed around with this yet?

It looks like it could be a nice step up from the 358 Win.

http://www.375raptor.com/375RAPTOR/
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ge-375-raptor/

New .308 Based Cartridge – The 375 RAPTOR

Posted October 21, 2016

Arne Brennan, arguably the real “brains” behind the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, has announced the release of his latest caliber, the 375 RAPTOR. Building on the knowledge gained from the 45 RAPTOR (an improvement over .458 SOCOM), the 375 RAPTOR is, in-short, is a shortened and necked-up .308 Winchester for the larger diameter “slicker” 375 diameter bullets.

The .375 was chosen for a few specific reasons:

1. .375 is the minimum caliber allowed for dangerous game in Tanzania and Botswana. If this is good for large foreign game, it will certainly be sufficient for all North American game.
    2. The bullet is already in common manufacture by well-known companies such as Nosler, Sierra, Speer, etc.
    3. It will work for both super and sub-sonic. Heavy pills such as 350 grain bullets are available from Sierra.

Brennan’s company, North American Sportsman, LLC calls out a major points for the new caliber.

1. Designed to work directly with .308 bolt-action and semi-auto platforms. Only a barrel change is required.
    2. Brass is easily converted from existing .308 Winchester cases without the need for saws.
    3. Runs at the full 62,000 psi pressure common to .308 Winchester.
    4. Works in common PMAGs (but requires some filing).
    5. Works with the complete range of ball and extruded powders.

The caliber is releasing with full availability of reloading dies and reamers. Medesha Firerams has stepped up to support the custom manufacture of barrels, brass, and other items.
    In 2014, we released the 45 RAPTOR which redefined the concept of a big bore modern sporting rifle with true 200 yard range capability. Never one to rest on our past accomplishments, we continued the evolution of ideas and design with the result being the 375 RAPTOR – An evolutionary step forward in power that goes beyond any other big bore cartridge available for modern sporting rifles or short action non-magnum rifles.
    • The 375 RAPTOR delivers 300 yard large game hunting performance with over 3500 foot pounds of muzzle energy and over 2000 foot pounds of energy on target at 300 yards in a typical hunting rifle configuration making it suitable for any game animal found in North America including Deer, Moose, Elk, Bear or Wild Boar.
    • The 375 RAPTOR is direct conversion for any short action rifle currently chambered in 308 Winchester requiring only a barrel swap whether your choice of sporting rifle is an AR-10, LR308, SR-25, G2, Remington 700 or Model 7, Savage 110 or Browning BLR.
    • The 375 RAPTOR delivers sub 1-inch 100-yard accuracy using hunting bullets, while maintaining a 300-yard terminal velocity of 1800 fps or greater for reliable bullet expansion.
    • The 375 RAPTOR maintains a +/-3 inch flight trajectory from the muzzle to 200-250 yards impacting a 6-inch diameter vital zone without hold-over or sight adjustment.
    • The 375 RAPTOR is easily formed by any hand-loader requiring only resizing and case trimming to complete the process of converting commercial 308 Winchester or military 7.62 NATO brass. Conversion is so easy and options of parent brass so abundant, it makes producing native brass unnecessary.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I don't like it.
    It's more complicated than it needs to be, especially when proprietary brass is involved, or elaborate case forming processes.

If a guy wanted .375 bullets from a 308 case, he'd be smart just to simply neck up 308 win, 338 fed or 358 win brass to 375, and be done with it.

If Jes reboring could do this for me, with a simple rebore and chamber work (my 410 O&M wildcat), he'd probably be able to do it on a 308 rifle.

North Fork designed this killer bullet called the percusion point. they're made to exapand quicker and at a lower velocity than any premium, controlled expansion bullet out there.

A simple 375-308 win would be a good excuse to shoot these:

http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...ox-of-20.html/

I can't tell you how nice it is, to simply neck up stock brass with no crazy fire forming or trimming.........

I would be interested in it if it had a flat nosed 270 grain bullet and fit in an 1895 Marlin!

I was wicked stoked on the .45 Raptor until I realized you have to use straight steel magazines. What a bummer. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with a upper and lower I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love Springfield to offer that in a scout squad in stainless.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I would be interested in it if it had a flat nosed 270 grain bullet and fit in an 1895 Marlin!
    don't see why you couldn't top it off with a 270 Flat nose, and stuff it into a lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I was wicked stoked on the .45 Raptor until I realized you have to use straight steel magazines. What a bummer. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with a upper and lower I have.

i havent seen any curved AR-10 mags what ones are curved?

I looked at the 45 Raptor for a very short time and ended up not liking it. i love my 450 Bushmaster, and the Raptor wasnt enough of a bump up to go to it.

i like the 375 Raptor though, i think it would be a good bolt action gun.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I don't like it.
    It's more complicated than it needs to be, especially when proprietary brass is involved, or elaborate case forming processes.

If a guy wanted .375 bullets from a 308 case, he'd be smart just to simply neck up 308 win, 338 fed or 358 win brass to 375, and be done with it.

If Jes reboring could do this for me, with a simple rebore and chamber work (my 410 O&M wildcat), he'd probably be able to do it on a 308 rifle.

North Fork designed this killer bullet called the percusion point. they're made to exapand quicker and at a lower velocity than any premium, controlled expansion bullet out there.

A simple 375-308 win would be a good excuse to shoot these:

http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...ox-of-20.html/

I can't tell you how nice it is, to simply neck up stock brass with no crazy fire forming or trimming.........
    Several years ago i was looking at the 375-08 and from everything i've read on the 375-08 it is a finicky round with headspacing issues with the very small shoulder. That's why i ended up turning away from it and started to look at the 375 on a -06 case. The 375 Hawk was looking very good to me until i saw the price of the brass, and its hard to come by too, its still on the list of possibles for me, i think it would be great in a M-70.

Ive never reformed a case before but the process doesn't sound all that hard for this one, use some 358 Win brass, set the shoulder back trim it a little and run it through a sizing die.

one of the things i like about the 375 Raptor is the nice shoulder and that it fits and works in an AR-10, that makes an already good hunting platform even better. (im still pissed that its hard to find a decent 338 Fed or 358 Win upper that doesn't cost $2,000.)
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    don't see why you couldn't top it off with a 270 Flat nose, and stuff it into a lever gun.

i havent seen any curved AR-10 mags what ones are curved?

I looked at the 45 Raptor for a very short time and ended up not liking it. i love my 450 Bushmaster, and the Raptor wasnt enough of a bump up to go to it.

i like the 375 Raptor though, i think it would be a good bolt action gun.
    Maybe not AR-10 but M-5 P-Mags are curved. I have a billion of them so I really don't want to buy others.

I can't see how a 375-08 wouldn't have a sufficient shoulder. I just hastily necked up a .358 case to .375. For some of you older folks, that bullet right there is one of the old nosler 270 grain partitions. I've a few boxes of those gems, when they were pure copper jackets. The .358 winchester is an old reload, my first hand-load from back in 2004. It was a 200 grain hornady load that I put together for deer hunting in Maine.

Anyhow, I had no idea an AR-10 upper costed that much. That's stupid money. For way less than that,

1. I could buy a 6lb 4 oz Browning Lever Rifle take-down scout model in 308 (18.5" barrel).
    2. Send it to Jesse and have a .375 bore drilled though it.
    3. The rifle would weigh about 6lbs even after all that metal removed from the barrel. It would probably be 4lbs less the heft as an Ar-10, just as quick and cheaper too.

Attached Images Attached Images

I forgot to add, John Dougherty was the fella that created the 375-08 wildcat. He was an admirer of the Savage 99, so that was the first 375-08 rifle. It's more powerful than a .375 jdj, due to the higher working pressures.

Oh boy! I've got a short Savage and need another winter project...

Call me negative, but what is gained over the 358 Win, that makes up for losing the .358 bullet selection? Which, many are designed for 358 Win velocities. 99% of those .375 bullets are designed for velocities achieved from almost twice the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Maybe not AR-10 but M-5 P-Mags are curved. I have a billion of them so I really don't want to buy others.

M-5? you lost me on that one, a google search just shows M4's.

If its based on the AR-15 then yes they will be curved unless you are using the 20rnd mags, the AR-10 is a larger frame, the 375 Raptor will not fit in an AR-15 frame.
    Josh

I can't see how a 375-08 wouldn't have a sufficient shoulder. I just hastily necked up a .358 case to .375. For some of you older folks, that bullet right there is one of the old nosler 270 grain partitions. I've a few boxes of those gems, when they were pure copper jackets. The .358 winchester is an old reload, my first hand-load from back in 2004. It was a 200 grain hornady load that I put together for deer hunting in Maine.

Anyhow, I had no idea an AR-10 upper costed that much. That's stupid money. For way less than that,

1. I could buy a 6lb 4 oz Browning Lever Rifle take-down scout model in 308 (18.5" barrel).
    2. Send it to Jesse and have a .375 bore drilled though it.
    3. The rifle would weigh about 6lbs even after all that metal removed from the barrel. It would probably be 4lbs less the heft as an Ar-10, just as quick and cheaper too.
    Yes, the AR-10 market is expensive as hell, but, it is one heck of a rifle.

Im just going off of the time and experience that people better than me with wildcats have said about the 375-08. The last thing i want to worry about a Fail To Fire due to headspace problems while im out hunting. I am really big on doing research and doing it right the first time so i dont have to do it again or worry about it, (especially when a lot of money is on the line.)

I already have a donor rifle that i want to rebarrel, so i just need a new barrel for this project. (if i ever get around to it, it usually takes me a couple years to decide on a new caliber).

I forgot to add, John Dougherty was the fella that created the 375-08 wildcat. He was an admirer of the Savage 99, so that was the first 375-08 rifle. It's more powerful than a .375 jdj, due to the higher working pressures.
    JDJ? isnt that a bit small for him?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rKHXTsDcco

JDJ has done a lot of work on a lot of calibers over the years, some of his big claims are to the whisper line.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
    Call me negative, but what is gained over the 358 Win, that makes up for losing the .358 bullet selection? Which, many are designed for 358 Win velocities. 99% of those .375 bullets are designed for velocities achieved from almost twice the powder.
    no need to call anyone negative, im looking for both pros and cons on this one.

i dont have a 358 yet and although i am warming up to it, i like the 375 better, larger hole and heaver projectiles.

Stated velocities indicate that projectiles will work just fine at the intended distances of 300 yards and less.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Oh boy! I've got a short Savage and need another winter project...
    If you go through with this i would be very interested in hearing how it goes. Pics would be awesome too.
    Josh

I wouldn't be the least bit worried about the 375-08 shoulder. The 35 Whelen was snake bitten with the same bug-a-boo for a while and I'm betting the reason for the 375-08 headspace problems are one in the same. Either long chambers or folk aren't setting their dies correctly. If their sizing die when bottomed out is setting the shoulder back just a bit then the shoulder no longer holds the case tight against the bolt face and the primer pushes the case forward rather than igniting the primer.

Now if you were to compare apples to apples the 358 winchester case measures .454" diameter at the shoulder where as the the 35 Whelen measures .441 " diameter at the shoulder. Both have a neck diameter of .388 inches which means that the 358 Winchester shoulder has .013" more surface to head space off of than the 35 Whelen. Now if you were to neck that 358 up to 375 caliber then the outside neck diameter would be right around .400". What this means is that the 308 case necked up to 375 caliber will have a shoulder exactly equal to what the 35 Whelen has always had. That means if the chamber is cut correctly and the dies are properly set then there is no issue to fret over.

My wheels have been spinning all day long about a 375-08. It's advantage over the Raptor is a simple rebore as opposed to a new barrel. I just picked up the mid 70s 700 ADL in 243 with a 20 inch barrel. The 243 really needs more than 20 inches to act like a 243 is suppose to act so turning this gun into something else is a given. I kept telling myself JES is redoing a new Hawkeye to 358 right now and ya don't need a 375-08. Then I went to my storage area under the steps. Sheesh! I have lots of 375 caliber bullets. I have IMR and Hodgdon 4198, I have 4227, R7, R10 and lots of H4895. I also have scads of 308 brass. it's a no brainer and need ain't got nothing to do with it. I'm going to call JES tomorrow and pick his brain on the matter.

If I dwell on a project for a whole day then most likely there ain't no turning back. I have lots of those Sierra .375 200 grainers designed for the 375 Winchester. They ought to make for some dandy exit holes. I also have a bunch of 270 or are they 275 grain Swift "A" frames from when my brother had his H&H. Merry Christmas to me again!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My wheels have been spinning all day long about a 375-08. It's advantage over the Raptor is a simple rebore as opposed to a new barrel. I just picked up the mid 70s 700 ADL in 243 with a 20 inch barrel. The 243 really needs more than 20 inches to act like a 243 is suppose to act so turning this gun into something else is a given. I kept telling myself JES is redoing a new Hawkeye to 358 right now and ya don't need a 375-08. Then I went to my storage area under the steps. Sheesh! I have lots of 375 caliber bullets. I have IMR and Hodgdon 4198, I have 4227, R7, R10 and lots of H4895. I also have scads of 308 brass. it's a no brainer and need ain't got nothing to do with it. I'm going to call JES tomorrow and pick his brain on the matter.
    Id love to hear what he has to say the the direction that you will be going. Also pics and updates on how its going.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    If I dwell on a project for a whole day then most likely there ain't no turning back. I have lots of those Sierra .375 200 grainers designed for the 375 Winchester. They ought to make for some dandy exit holes. I also have a bunch of 270 or are they 275 grain Swift "A" frames from when my brother had his H&H. Merry Christmas to me again!
    Same here, i have many .375 projectiles of various make and size just waiting to be loaded.
    Josh

Go for it EKC!

There are hundreds, if not thousands of 375-08 jaguars out there, but it's not much talked of. It's a tried and true cartridge. I could understand why you'd go this route, I've seen where you mentioned that the 375 Winchester was one of your favorite cartridges, so you probably have massive piles of old school bullets designed for the 375 winchester.

Not many folks have put the years of moose hunting that I have with a 358 winchester, I'd prefer the versatility of that cartridge, but I can surely put my bias aside:
    The 375-08 Jaguar would shoot equal weight bullets about 100 fps faster. So within 100 yds, it'd be slightly more powerful.

When my son made a 150-170 yd shot on a fat bull caribou, I've never seen an animal drop so quickly, it was like a light switch was turned off. That bullet left the barrel at 1875 fps. That same load, did the same devastating thing on a coastal brown bear for the guy who bought that rifle from me. Get a look at that wound channel at impact velocity around 1600 fps (150 yds):
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ters-out-there

I'd have no qualms, loading 300 grain percussion points, 300 grain hornady round nosed interlocks, or any bullet designed for the .375 winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    Id love to hear what he has to say the the direction that you will be going. Also pics and updates on how its going.

Same here, i have many .375 projectiles of various make and size just waiting to be loaded.
    I talked with JES a short time ago. My 358 Winchester is on it's way home. How's less than 2 weeks turn around for service.

His exact words on the 375-08..."It's a neat little round!""Runs a 300 grain bullet at 2100 fps". I asked him specifically about head space issues and he assured me there were none. He commented it that is had plenty of shoulder to headspace off of.

I'm doing it akula682. I'm going to package it up and get it sent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast