Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Orleans fishing

Excellent post, RaginCajun. I totally agree. I have fished the Leeville area only a few times, but it is indeed worthy of consideration. As you say, it is about the same distance from downtown New Orleans as Venice, but it doesn't get nearly the tourist business. It is a long drive on a 2-lane road and literally a trip to a different world. On the way to Venice, the majority of folks speak a fairly easy to understand dialect, but the Leeville area (AKA south Bayou Lafourche) is a different experience. There are still folks there who's primary language is Cajun French, although their numbers are fading fast. The majority of locals speak a dialect that is unique to the local area. But don't get me wrong, they are friendly and will put you on the redfish. The more I think about it, Leeville is a lot more like rural Alaska than Venice. The good thing about the Leeville area is it is not affected by high water on the Mississippi River (typical in March) and the weather, since the winter and early spring fishing is usually in protected areas (canals, bayous, and marshy areas). The only problem fishing in south Louisiana is there are too many places to fish! Whoever you book with, make sure you know what fees are going to be added to your trip. Once you get west of Lafitte (especially the Cocodrie area), some guides add fees for outboard oil, ice, bait, etc. without telling you upfront. Oh, and Commander's has an excellent luncheon menu for about $30 which is a small fraction of their evening rates. Plus, they have $0.25 (25 cents) martinis of various flavors that are totally awesome. Just be careful, they don't water them down! It's popular - need reservations!

Excellent info guys. Can't wait to get down there and check it all out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Hey Rob B, I was just wondering if you guys made it down there and caught any fish? Share an update with some pics if you did!!!

We made it down and back. Had a great time and perfect weather. We did pretty much everything we could in 5 days, but never got in on a fishing trip. Next time for sure.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Too bad you didn't get out, Reds and Specks have been doing well. You could have fished a few places in a short drive from NO.

Just a followup question... a couple of you in-the-know guys mentioned March wasn't the best time...so what is? Is it possible to plan a trip at a time when both the inshore reds/specks are going good AND an offshore trip for hoos and YFT is worth it?

My personal opinion is no. I don't feel that there is a time that those 4 species are hot at the exact same time. I feel the best time for reds by far is October and specks vary by area. Now and into the summer are good times to catch specks on the beaches. In the winter you can find specks in deep holes. I'd say best time for yellowfin tuna is October through February at the lumps, but of course at that time of the year you're going to rely heavily on good weather. Wahoo, I've only commercial fished for, trolling July through September.

Like I said, this is just my personal opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12