Thread: Protein Ideas

Default Protein Ideas

Hi everyone,

I could use some ideas as to high protein food items to take on a sheep hunt. Last year was my first hunt(No success). I really got tired of Oatmeal for breakfast now I cant even stand the smell. My problem is that I had weight loss surgery and need extra protein for the hunt. Maybe a few of you out there have some good ideas. Thanks for the help.

Troy

Hard to beat jerky and protein bars of one sort or another. You'll get sick of anything if you eat too much of it, so take a wide variety to keep your food interesting, no matter whether for meals or snacks.

Default Stick with it

I still say stick with Oatmeal. I bring dried fruit and coconut flakes to add. Cream of wheat might be another way to go, but again with the addidion of dried fruit. Light weight as well.

I take jerky and a hunk of salami and cheese along with my bagels and mustard.

An alternative to plain ol oatmeal is to get some good hearty granola, a bag of that dried fruit trail mix, some raisins and dried plums. Cut up the fruit and mix it in all big bowl with the granola add some powdered milk (more protien).

In the morning just add some hot water and it makes a rich creamy breakfast. Much better that oatmeal. You can also add cold water if you can't boil water for some reason.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Something different...

Premix whey protein, powdered milk, instant vanilla pudding, and a kool-aid pack of your choosing into ziplocks. Add cool water in the field. A quick punch of energy with a blast of protein and taste good to boot.

Default Marty at Gunsmoke Taxidermy, FAI

He has done as much or more sheep hunting than anybody I know. Successfully too I might add. I thought oatmeal was a carbohydrate, not protein. I don't have any in the houst to look at. This is what I took the last time I was in the mountains. Seems like a lot of weight, but it worked for me. I don't figure on putting on weight. I just want to keep myself going day after day.
    Breakfast:
    Pre boiled egg, Chedderwurst sausage, bagel. Heat the sausage and egg in water. When boiling, take out and use the water for your morning hot drink. Do NOT drain off the fat from the sausage.
    Lunch:
    Gorp, Cheese, Power bar,jerky, dry fish, dried fruit. (soup or oatmeal if it is cold)
    Dinner:
    Dehydrated meal, King salmon belly strips, rice w/soy sauce or bullion cube, small square of Toblerone chocolate.
    Another guy to talk to about high protein food would be Bob Baker. He skied both the Quest and Iditarod trails and was taking in 10,000 plus calories a day to do so. He also won the Iditasport 4 or 5 times.

Thanks alot guys.
    This helps out.

When I go solo I try to pack as much protein and carbs into the food weight that I carry. For protein I buy a bag of EAS (Energy Athletics Strength) 100% Whey Protein powder at Sam's club. I premix this with powdered milk. A single serving is EAS 23g and the milk around another 6g. Each day I have a 2.25oz. power bar (Sam's again) for 16 gm. and 4oz. peanuts for 26g. The freeze dried food I carry averages around 16g per meal with 2 of these each day.

If you add it up it is a combined total of just over 100g/day. What daily amount do you require?

If you're interested drop me a PM with your email and I can send you an excel file that I maintain that contains the carb, protein, fat, and fiber content of the foods I may use for backpacking. I try to balance it out for a high content in all 4 areas.

Default Cashews

Cashews are good also.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Hi prot diet

Many of the above suggestions are very good ... BUT ... a significant modulator of your diet and the degree of benefit you will get from that diet will be the specific type of weight loss surgery you had. I would suggest you also consult with your surgeon and a registered dietitian.

Default Mountain House Granola

with blue berries and milk, throw in a bag of oatmeal and you won't even know its there until u need it :-)
    I make my own trail mix that has tons of cashews too.

Default liquid energy!!!

I didn't believe it till I put it to the test myself. Two tablespoons of seal oil kept me going all day (16hrs) with a 35lb pack of tudra and mountain trudging. I never even thought about the snickers or trail mix in my pack. It is an aquired taste, but it works-for me anyway. In the winter it's a great way to power and warm up especially when paired with muktuk and black meat.

In the fall I carry a little jelly jar of seal oil, and know that I can go for several days IF I HAD TO on that alone. I have friends that can get it for me, but attaining it could be hard if you wanted to give it a try.

Read up on nutrition. Protein alone won't sustain you as well as some complex carbs, simple carbs, and a little fat thrown in to slow the digestion. Oatmeal leaves me hungry very quickly, especially the instant kind that's sweetened. A hard boiled egg doesn't last very long, either. A cup of oatmeal along with a boiled egg will carry me easily into the late afternoon.

Whey protein powders and most protein bars make me cramp up. If I need a little energy boost on the trail I like bite-size Snickers bars or Kudo bars. Test yourself in a strenuous situation after eating this stuff BEFORE you take it into the field and depend on it.

Default seal oil? thats a new one, how much TP you haul?

this topic of what to eat gets asked about, hashed over and ripped apart every year with such passion by everyone its amazing that we are even able to survive in the field anymore

I'm sure this fella knows all about nutrition since he decided to have weight loss surgery and all....

dehydrated refreid beans can be a great change from all the other stuff you'll eat over and over on a hunt of this magnitude.

I presume this meets the Protien factor you are looking for

have fun

Default I'm Hungry

I vacum pack my breakfast, hot Italian sausage (lots) cut into bite size pieces and fried, hash browns fried in real butter, a big double spoon full of cooked gravy, a biscuit or two, and some shreded good cheese
    let everything cool, freeze the cooked gravy in ice cube trays, just place generous amounts into the V bag 3-4 cubes of gravy and vac and seal, then freeze it

these will last a week to ten days just keep them cool in a stream or buried, drop the bag into boiling water 3-4 minutes and you have a meal that will last all day, will vary it with polish sausage, and rice, endless possibiltys and there really cheap.

Definitely a chunk of hard, expensive cheese

Dehydrated hamburger goes well in ramen noodles, as does anything dehydrated (shrimp, corn, peas, etc.).

Smoked salmon.

Boiled eggs.

KRS