Thread: Federal Soft Points and a Question

Default Federal Soft Points and a Question

Ok, Here's another question on Bullets....

Several Website site says that Federal Soft Points are really Speer Grand Slams. The Speer help desk said that Federal Soft Points are not Speer but another companies product. Federal has declined to answer this question on both phone and email. Speer and Federal are both owned by ATK. Also I noticed that the Soft Points for 375 H&H are rated for CXP3 game, and no other from that brand are....This would keep in line with their Grand Slams from Speer. Would someone proof my logic and help me. I would like to know if they are up to snuff on CXP3. I have an Elk Hunt this fall and would like some advice. Here are my "stock" at the house:

270 & 300 Gr. Federal Soft Points
    300 Gr. Nosler Part.
    350 Gr. WoodLiegh Weldcore PP

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Kind of makes me wonder about the info on the other websites.

As I recall the original Federal soft points were made by Hornady, but I'm not so sure about today's crop of ammo. Having shot a fair number of both Rocky Mountain and Roosevelt elk (much larger, virtually Yukon moose size in the largest bulls), as well as Yukon moose with the 375, I would have no, nadda, zero concerns about using any of the bullets you list. If I was willing to take Texas heart shots, I'd cross off the Federal soft points, but still be perfectly happy with either the 270 or 300 grain Noslers. I haven't used the Woodleighs, but I'd be concerned whether any 350 bullet would expand at all on long range broadside lung shots. And yes, I have no qualms at all about the Speer Grand Slams either, based on performance I got with an early 265 on a moose.

Elk aren't at all tough to kill- easier in fact than moose, and those aren't all that tough. If you put a bullet through their boiler room, they're going down quickly even with bullets a lot smaller than the 375. If you choose to put lots of meat and bone between you and the lungs when you pull the trigger, then it becomes an issue of penetrating all of that extra stuff to reach the lungs. I'd have faith in almost any 375 bullet for that job, perhaps short of that light little 235 Speer.

Default Just down the road....

I live(d) just down he road from Sierra bullets in Sedalia Missouri. I have boughtt their bullets by the truckload, by the pound, before they go into the little green boxes. I know they make bullets for Federal, Winchester, CorBon and Fiocchi. I don't know all of which ones are made for which company but they do make many different bullets for these companies. The use their standard Pro Hunter rifle bullets and the Hollow Point pistol bullets go to Corbon. Some bullets are made specially for the company such as different bullet weight than is catalogued in Sierra's book. I've bought some of everything they make their including military bullets. I don't know if they are the makers of the .375 caliber bullets.

Things change, but that was the way it was...

The Pro Hunter is an excellent bullet at standard velocity. Push it beyond it's limit and it won't go far.

I'll second the Grand Slam kudos, very good, tough, inexpensive bullet.
    The 285 Speer GS is a lot of bullet for an elk. The 235 has been used and is recommended by Speer. Generally the 260 partition or any of the 270 grainers of standard design are more than enough for elk, even Roosevelts.

If I were to carry the 375 H&H for elk again it would have the 260 partition loaded to 2750-2800 fps. It will and has taken several animals in that class at 300 plus long yards. The 250 or 270 Kodiak would also be very good.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Federal (ATK) Answer

Well,

After 2 weeks they emailed today. It said," Greetings, yes they are hornady bullets"

Ron

That's good news, really. In a wide range of calibers I've always had excellent luck with Hornady's both in accuracy and terminal performance. Their 270 grain spire is an excellent moose/elk bullet. At appropriate terminal velocities, of course, which includes almost all ranges with the 375 H&H, but back to my comments about poop shute shooting versus broadside.

Default Hornady's Answer (You will love it)

"Hello, I am not sure if Federal is loading our bullet or not.
    They may be using a Speer bullet. I would suggest calling them and
    asking. If the bullet is a Hornady then I would recommend the 270 Gr.
    bullet for elk. I feel that the 300 may be a bit too heavily
    constructed. Thanks"

Ron