Thread: jack kings question

Default jack kings question

I was fishing lake creek today and in a large hole behind a rock I caught 4 jacks and 2 rainbows all 16-18 inches. These jacks had not turned red but had pinkish flesh (kept 2) like a trout. Do these salmon really go out to sea and back? They seem just like the landlocked they stock in Delong lake.
    And they were schooling and biting like trout. Seems weird to me.

Default When Jacks return

When Jacks return they have spent one year at sea, they are all males and they will die. Harvest all of them you will eat they are egg eaters like trout and have no benefit for the run.

A fish and game biologist told me that they are essentially salmon that come back very early. he said no one knows why, but they are essentially just like other salmon and given the opportunity they will even spawn. The female version is a Jill and are very rare but they do exisit.

Default harvest them all

with a very poor showing on the nush for kings this year the jacks were the thickest,if one were to watch the spawning grounds you can see how the big bucks have a battle trying to breed their line for they are constantly chaseing off the jacks that some times out number them ten to one.and yes there are lady jacks

Essentially, the Jacks are retarded but still very good eating.

We're talking about King Salmon here, so be sure you're in an area that is exempt from the 28" minimum size... other than that, eat 'em all!

While we're on the topic of King salmon mysteries, anyone know anything substantial about White Kings?

Anyone ever caught a White Jack King?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default meat

most jacks seem to have light meat like a trout. makes me wonder what they eat.

tt600-

The jacks I've harvested from the Juneau THA all have bright orange/red meat, just like a big buck. I'm guessing there's a salt vs. freshwater difference here...?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]