Thread: Larson Creek+Talkeetna

Default Larson Creek+Talkeetna

Can anyone tell me where the trail to larson creek starts in Talkeetna? Also is this a walkable trail or do you really need ATV's? And finally would reds have found their way up there yet or would red kings be the only thing we would find. Any help would be greatly appreciated, an IM is also fine.

Armo

The road going into the old satelite earth station, about a mile before you get into downtown Talkeetna. Turn right and a large parking lot at the end of the road. Trailhead is going south. You can walk it and lots of people have, when their ATV broke down. Quite a few brown bears on Larson, so always be prepared for that. It is several miles to the creek. There is also a good slough that some use where the powerline cross's the trail, just follow the powerline to the river edge. They snag reds in that slough as well. On the older maps, it is ID'd as a Tractor/Winter Trail.

Had to dig up some old pics from the early 90's but found some dated July 24th and we were slaying the reds.The trail is way to long to walk in my opinion.If I remember right it took us about 2 hours riding 3 wheelers to get there.LOTS OF BEARS!Used to go there on bikes when I grew up in Talkeetna in the late 70's.Last time I went up to Larson Creek was about 15 years ago and was disgusted.People were screwing up the trail by trying to drive back there and the amount of river boats parked at the mouth was crazy.Havn't been back since.Used to be a great QUIET place to spend the day 25 years ago!

Exclamation Still Too Early...

I was there last Thursday and it was dead. No reds (or kings) seen or hooked in the vicinity of the creek mouth. Also no sign of bears.

Although the creek was low and clear, the Tal appeared to be running high and off-color because of the recent rainfall.

As far as access, I think it's too far to walk in and the trail is too rough to use a mountain bike on because of the deep ruts and huge mud puddles. Then there's the large population of brown bears to contend with. In my opinion, ATV or boat are the only real options for getting in there.

Thanks alot guys I really didn't expect anyone to respond to this. If you wouldn't mind what have you found to be the best times to target reds in Larson? And do the kings come up in any sort of harvestable/fishable numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Thanks alot guys I really didn't expect anyone to respond to this. If you wouldn't mind what have you found to be the best times to target reds in Larson? And do the kings come up in any sort of harvestable/fishable numbers?
    I have always gone to Larson the first week of August. Last year it was closed by emergency order for sockeye fishing. Yes there are fresh fish to be caught. Never seen any bears there, I am sure they are around.

This picture is from 2002. I was last there in 2003 and could limit in about 5 minutes.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I haven't been there in a few years either. Never did see any Kings, Larson would be a challenge for a king to get into and spawn with the bears around, they'd have to make it a quicky I also agree it is a bit far to walk into, seems like 1.5 hrs was about the fastest we did it on wheelers. If the fish are there it can make for a quick trip but as already stated, it was closed by emergency order last year, at least for a while anyway. Comsat Rd. will get you back to the Bartlett earth station according to AK topo. I beleive the trailhead actually takes off to the east but anyway, you'll find it if you see the big dish.

Default It is

9 miles + to get to Larson. I have found that the last week of July and the first week of August are good. It has been closed by emergency order for the last 2 years though. Week days are best, as it gets pretty crowded. There is only room of maybe a dozen or so people to fish, and if they stand in the creek it ruins if for everyone. At best 4-5 can fish it then. Duh!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Smile Larsen

I've found it to be right on the third weekend in July forward. All the other posts give you the essence of the "fishery", so realize it's a meat/local harvest with any combat attitudes being unwelcome. Get in-get out!.

Well we decided to not heed some of the advice and walk in anyway. According to GPS the trail was 8.2 miles from start to finish and took us a little under 2 hours and 40 minutes to walk. It was pretty brutal and my feet are paying the price right now. I would've killed for a wheeler or even a mountain bike for the trek back. Thanks for all your tips.

Armo

How was the fishing?
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

S.L.O.W. 1 fish taken in 6-7 hours. Not many signs of anything rolling or any fish in the creek.

Larson Creek is closed to King Salmon, be respectful of the area as it is part of the Talkeetna Bluffs homeowners association that is very observent of the people who come in august to slay the reds. There is a marker about a quarter of a mile upstream from the mouth which says no salmon fishing any farther up stream. There are full time residents who are always watching the weekend warriors. Watch out for brown bears around dusk and night as the creek can be piled up with them.