Thread: Where to fillet fish down by Kenai

Default Where to fillet fish down by Kenai

I dipnet the Kenai every summer and always used to bring my fish home to Eagle River to fillet. I never liked filleting at home I would prefer to do it on the peninsula but don't want to fillet on the beach. Other than the fillet tables at the known fishing spots is there anywhere in Kenai or Soldotna where you have access to a table and running water?

We always just take a large, Costco fold up table and cutting boards covered with artificial turf down to a spot on the river to clean our fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centennial Park in Soldotna has a fish cleaning station. One or two hour parking limit. Might charge a day pass but I doubt its much.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Centennial Park in Soldotna has a fish cleaning station. One or two hour parking limit. Might charge a day pass but I doubt its much.
    This is a good spot but you have to wait in line when the fish are in because there are a lot of rod people there. Agonizing watching someone spend an hour cutting 3 fish.

If I don't have many fish and heading home that day, I'll pull into one of the Placer river bridge turnouts before Portage. Use the cooler top as a cutting board and rinse in the river. Water is fresh, clean, and fast moving.

It doesn't matter because there won't be any fish in the river this year anyways.
    The soldotna visitor has free parking and a cleaning table with running water.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    It doesn't matter because there won't be any fish in the river this year anyways.
    There is always the Kasilof
    -Tim

Rinse them off in that diarrhea water. (lower river) It won't hurt the flavor or edibility at all.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

What I like doing is to head and gut them at the river. I'm dipping from a boat, so it's easier to get rid of the waste without having to do it on the beach and worry that it's going to wash back for the birds. The heads and guts end up returning to nature for halibut, crabs, whatever is on the river bottom or at the mouth when they get washed out to sea.

Then when I get home, I'll fillet them. This leaves me with almost no fish waste at home to dispose of.

At the city dock, last year there was a place right next door that sold ice and let you fillet fish there. I think he was charging $10 per hour or something like that. Pretty minimal price. Had running water and stainless tables.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    This is a good spot but you have to wait in line when the fish are in because there are a lot of rod people there. Agonizing watching someone spend an hour cutting 3 fish.

If I don't have many fish and heading home that day, I'll pull into one of the Placer river bridge turnouts before Portage. Use the cooler top as a cutting board and rinse in the river. Water is fresh, clean, and fast moving.
    I like that idea. Also could stop at Ingram creek, right? Fast moving water with a pull off right next to creek. And not many fisherman their until late July usually.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Soldotna visitor? You mean the visitor center?

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    What I like doing is to head and gut them at the river. I'm dipping from a boat, so it's easier to get rid of the waste without having to do it on the beach and worry that it's going to wash back for the birds. The heads and guts end up returning to nature for halibut, crabs, whatever is on the river bottom or at the mouth when they get washed out to sea.

Then when I get home, I'll fillet them. This leaves me with almost no fish waste at home to dispose of.

At the city dock, last year there was a place right next door that sold ice and let you fillet fish there. I think he was charging $10 per hour or something like that. Pretty minimal price. Had running water and stainless tables.
    I'm gonna look into the place next to city dock your talking about. Sounds like exactly what I want. Good tables, running water and close to river. Thanks for the info.

I found a great place Just outside Soldotna.
    Nice cleaning table with room for two people at once.
    Nice clean water and spray hoses.
    It never busy when I show up with fish.
    No charge either.
    Where is it you ask? Oh it's my front yard.lol
    I'm so glad I don't live in Los Anchorage.
    Maybe I need to start charging forum members for use of my fish cleaning table?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"