Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: More bad news for Alaska's future..

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Rather have a state sales tax so ALL players pay, not just the working stiffs who float the bills for everyone else.
    Here, here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Rather have a state sales tax so ALL players pay, not just the working stiffs who float the bills for everyone else.
    LOL that would be nice, but can you imagine all the butthurt that would cause?
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Butthurt or not, my take is...

1. Good on em for splitting the dividend. This ensured the folks that do nothing but soak up our system paid some. maybe still not their fair share, but some anyway.
    2. Yes to Income tax. This gets all those that work and make a living for AK wages pay their share. If they want to live elsewhere, so be it. But at least some of the AK paid wages stay in the state, not all being spent elsewhere for now.
    3. Yes to sales tax. This gets the money from all the tourists.

Doing all 3 means none have to be "Massive" and EVERYONE is effected.

Default More bad news for Alaska's future..

Nothing will change until we get rid of the bottom feeders that have been around wayyyyy too long. Sales and income tax will help for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    Butthurt or not, my take is...

1. Good on em for splitting the dividend. This ensured the folks that do nothing but soak up our system paid some. maybe still not their fair share, but some anyway.
    2. Yes to Income tax. This gets all those that work and make a living for AK wages pay their share. If they want to live elsewhere, so be it. But at least some of the AK paid wages stay in the state, not all being spent elsewhere for now.
    3. Yes to sales tax. This gets the money from all the tourists.

Doing all 3 means none have to be "Massive" and EVERYONE is effected.
    you had me until the income tax, then you really lost me at "pay their fair share". the only way for it to be "fair" is if everyone pays, that leaves it at a state sales tax. Unless you suggest those who pay income taxes don't pay sales tax... otherwise they are being taxed twice while those who don't work only get taxed once.

The country is in a mess because almost 50% of the country doesn't pay taxes, and yet they get to have a say in how tax money is spent. If those who do not work (if they are retired from a life time of working they are exempt) and receive any kind of welfare they can have a choice, either pay taxes on it as Income, or they willingly give up the right to vote. This is not one of those "ill pay taxes this week so i can vote in the election then not pay taxes anymore until the next election" deals. you pick one and you stick with it.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    We need a MASSIVE State income tax, did I mention MASSIVE or HUGE........ Maybe 30% or 40%........Then just shut the pipeline down. Fire about 60% of State of Alaska employees, and 45% of municipal employees, and ALL as in 100% of Assistant School Principals, You either teach or that a hike. Each school does not need 20 assistant principals.

Alaska was a better place to live before they built the pipeline.
    What would Alaska be like if there was no pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post

Just like it was in 1969...........All the pipeline did is bring just under 400,000 humans to Alaska,

Just like it was in 1969...........All the pipeline did is bring just under 400,000 humans to Alaska,
    I hear ya there!

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    you had me until the income tax, then you really lost me at "pay their fair share". the only way for it to be "fair" is if everyone pays, that leaves it at a state sales tax. Unless you suggest those who pay income taxes don't pay sales tax... otherwise they are being taxed twice while those who don't work only get taxed once.
    Folks that live out of state and work in the state would pay minimal or no sales tax. Many slope workers fly in and out not having to spend any $$ in AK.
    Seasonal workers will have to pay some, but still only for the time they are here, not year around.
    You are correct those that live here and work will be taxed twice. Income and sales tax.
    But if we only do a sales tax, those that live here put their earned $$ back into the state. Folks that work here and live else where would pay virtually nothing.

Fort Wainwright brought mine.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    Folks that live out of state and work in the state would pay minimal or no sales tax. Many slope workers fly in and out not having to spend any $$ in AK.
    Seasonal workers will have to pay some, but still only for the time they are here, not year around.
    You are correct those that live here and work will be taxed twice. Income and sales tax.
    But if we only do a sales tax, those that live here put their earned $$ back into the state. Folks that work here and live else where would pay virtually nothing.
    There are ways around that, simply if you live out of state and you work instate, you pay a tax for the "privilege" of working in the state. It wont be a traditional income tax but it would have the same outcome. The state would put that responsibility on the employer and all employees would have to be known to the state.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Fort Wainwright brought mine.

a strong desire to live in a very low population state/ area was my reason for moving.
    Josh

No PFD.
    No oil revenues and no oil jobs (the states highest paying employment sector).
    State income and sales taxes.
    While many would leave we would still have plenty on welfare,wic,and other forms of public assistance.
    So the state would still be in debt but have used up the constitutional budget reserve.
    Tourism would finally be taxed with a bed tax,rental car tax etc.
    Crashes in the real estate markets for several years.
    I fail to see too many positives.
    Though there are a few.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    There are ways around that, simply if you live out of state and you work instate, you pay a tax for the "privilege" of working in the state. It wont be a traditional income tax but it would have the same outcome. The state would put that responsibility on the employer and all employees would have to be known to the state.
    Could be a tough legal battle.
    Taxing them and not us is likely some form of discrimination.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Could be a tough legal battle.
    Taxing them and not us is likely some form of discrimination.

happens all the time.

https://www.rapidtax.com/blog/state-.../#.WEIX3X3Vsa4
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    No PFD.
    No oil revenues and no oil jobs (the states highest paying employment sector).
    State income and sales taxes.
    While many would leave we would still have plenty on welfare,wic,and other forms of public assistance.
    So the state would still be in debt but have used up the constitutional budget reserve.
    Tourism would finally be taxed with a bed tax,rental car tax etc.
    Crashes in the real estate markets for several years.
    I fail to see too many positives.
    Though there are a few.
    Welfare, WIC and any other public assistance need very short term limits, something that resembles unemployment insurance benefits. If you have to rely upon the PFD to live here you need to find a job/career also. Too many want everything handed to them now days.

Recession grips state as employment losses in Alaska grow, hitting new sectors

https://www.adn.com/business-economy...g-new-sectors/

What I find interesting is........if a company is in deep financial trouble........one of the emergency actions is to lay people off. We see companies lay off 30,000 employees or more so they can survive. The Oil Industry is doing it........Why is laying off 10,000 Alaska State employees not on the table as an option........???

What if we gave all the people on welfare and any assistance........all State of Alaska Jobs. They would then be protected by the Employees Union, and they would never be poor ever again, they would even have great health coverage, and good pensions. Solves the problems.

Welfare, WIC and any other public assistance need very short term limits, something that resembles unemployment insurance benefits. If you have to rely upon the PFD to live here you need to find a job/career also. Too many want everything handed to them now days.

Some of you may not know about the "Hazlewood "FULL" Employment Act of 1989".

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast