Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: More bad news for Alaska's future..

Default More bad news for Alaska's future..

My guess is that any idea of a reduction in subsidies provided to primarily Alaska Native regions will die a quiet death. Political suicide. No offense meant to Alaska Native people. Things are what they are in our State. Change comes painfully slow and often times in the opposite direction of what many think.

Default exactly...

That is exactly how I read Cheeser's position also.

When I examined more into the myth of Alaska being a taker more than a giver - i.e. getting more in federal spending than it pays in income taxes - I saw pretty quick that it was just a ploy by some to justify the public welfare in the state.

While the whole give and take situation is pretty complex, it is very obvious who gets the welfare - and it isn't the urban dwellers that earn wages and actually pay income, property and other significant taxes. And - as I pointed out earlier - we also have a lot of high paid out of state workers on the slope that pay income and other taxes that are counted under their state of residency.

As you say - "Nice try" - but still wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    The ploy of folks like Cheeser - is to attempt to make everything morally equivalent. Example; one person collects a tiny insignificant benefit, while another lives entirely off of public welfare, so Cheeser, et al, try to assert that both are equal freeloaders. That's both false and wrong!

I can assure you that I pay far more in taxes than I take in as benefits. But, even if I did benefit by having one highway pothole patched more than my total contributions. That does not make me the same, as someone who has had their entire lifestyle subsidized for generations.

Nice try, Dave.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Unintended Consequences

Through the years I have met a lot of active duty military on assignments in the state who changed state residency to get the PFD. (I am ex-military). They move out of the state but still collect the PFD even though they have no intention of ever returning, except for the 72 hr visit every 2 years to stay eligible. I wonder what these folks are gonna think when they get an abbreviated PFD but a nice whopping income tax bill next January.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

tvfinak - As with Blu, thank you for verifying you are unable to comprehend anything I wrote.

Default beat me to it..

Yes- I missed the message also - whatever it was.

I'll repeat mine to make certain you understand it: Taking money from one person to pay for another person's lifestyle is morally wrong. If you are living in a place where you can't make a living and pay your own way - like most of rural Alaska - you should move to where you can get a job and pay your own way. (BTW -many did move out in urban Alaska in the mid-late 80s when the oil business crashed like it it about to happen again.)

If you want to state your position again please state it clearly so we can all understand. I'm all eyes and ears.

But we need to keep the subject of the forum clear- Alaska Resource Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    tvfinak - As with Blu, thank you for verifying you are unable to comprehend anything I wrote.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default keep your fingers crossed...

Perhaps fracking may work out in Alaska - and be economical: https://www.adn.com/business-economy...hoe-bay-shale/

I don't think anything is going to happen quickly. I remember when they drilled those wells some years back, and they were still just sitting there when I last drove past them over 3 years ago. But are accessible year round; that is a big plus.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there are some already out there somewhere preparing protests because fracking COULD somehow possibly in some unknown way disrupt something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    It's not just you......

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

But we need to keep the subject of the forum clear- Alaska Resource Development.
    Alaska Resource Management.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default perhaps..

Perhaps you can interpret for us?

It appears that there was statement of sorts that everyone in Alaska was beholden to others simply because we live in Alaska, and it doesn't matter how much one pays in taxes - those that pay a lot and receive minimum benefits are fully as guilty as those who receive many benefits and pay nothing... but I'm not certain if that was the meaning or not.

I explained my position in a sentence or two - it doesn't have to be complicated.

Then - back to responsible resource management and development.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    It's not just you......

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Yes- I missed the message also - whatever it was.

I'll repeat mine to make certain you understand it: Taking money from one person to pay for another person's lifestyle is morally wrong. If you are living in a place where you can't make a living and pay your own way - like most of rural Alaska - you should move to where you can get a job and pay your own way. (BTW -many did move out in urban Alaska in the mid-late 80s when the oil business crashed like it it about to happen again.)

If you want to state your position again please state it clearly so we can all understand. I'm all eyes and ears.

Pretty simple to understand. No real disagreement.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223