Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: More bad news for Alaska's future..

Default More bad news for Alaska's future..

Just ran across this one: http://www.businessinsider.com/usgs-...mation-2016-11

Texas and N. Dakota appear to be the future of oil in the US; Alaska with our high cost of production is going to see some real hard time real soon.

On the positive side - it is great news for the USA as a nation.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

We lack the political will to drill for oil in AK, THAT is the biggest problem, imo.

"It's the economy,...."
    ...I'll let y'all fill in the blank....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

We need a MASSIVE State income tax, did I mention MASSIVE or HUGE........ Maybe 30% or 40%........Then just shut the pipeline down. Fire about 60% of State of Alaska employees, and 45% of municipal employees, and ALL as in 100% of Assistant School Principals, You either teach or that a hike. Each school does not need 20 assistant principals.

Alaska was a better place to live before they built the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    We need a MASSIVE State income tax, did I mention MASSIVE or HUGE........ Maybe 30% or 40%........
    yeah that's what we need, another 30-40% on top of our already high federal taxes.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default waste and non-contributors

There is certainly massive waste and over-staffing at all levels in the government. There is always a spending vacuum that suck up all available money, and there was plenty of sucking up of all that oil money.

As to schools - how about all the rural schools that are costing the state massive amounts of $$ per student? Or the 18 or so campuses of UA in every nook and corner. The UA campuses we can close; the rural schools are not so easy.

Even is we taxed everyone that works 30% or 40% income tax we will still be in trouble. The state's budget deficient is that large. And of course there are all the rural residents that demand services and pay no taxes whatsoever.

Without some miracle we are screwed. Oil is just too cheap to produce elsewhere. Even low cost producers like Texas are feeling the pinch.

We need a MASSIVE State income tax, did I mention MASSIVE or HUGE........ Maybe 30% or 40%........Then just shut the pipeline down. Fire about 60% of State of Alaska employees, and 45% of municipal employees, and ALL as in 100% of Assistant School Principals, You either teach or that a hike. Each school does not need 20 assistant principals.

Alaska was a better place to live before they built the pipeline.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

More bad news..................https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/11...-through-2022/

Obama administration cancels Arctic offshore lease sales through 2022

More bad news..................https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/11...-through-2022/

Obama administration cancels Arctic offshore lease sales through 2022

lets hope this can stick then,

http://thehill.com/regulation/306564...ght-obama-regs
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    It wont. Obummer will certainly veto it.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    It wont. Obummer will certainly veto it.
    yes i am expecting it to be vetoed the first time through, i hope it goes through a second time quickly (indicting that its real and not a "feel good measure" from both sides to make the population happy) and they get enough votes to make it veto proof.
    Josh

Can always wait to pass it again when Obama is gone 1-20-17. Nothing lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    We lack the political will to drill for oil in AK, THAT is the biggest problem, imo.
    It's not just political will; the breakeven price for oil in Texas and North Dakota is generally lower than in Alaska, and they have shut in quite a few fields down there. I heard that just recently they have started a few of those wells back up, but the price of oil has to go quite a bit higher before it gets to breakeven price for North Slope oil.....

so germany went 100% green on multiple days in 2016. funny to see so many alaskans love the welfare check that goes to the petro industry. i see them not as the black knight who is in denial of what is happening but rather some one that has been convinced that the poo sandwich they are eating is yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Genna-AK View Post
    It's not just political will; the breakeven price for oil in Texas and North Dakota is generally lower than in Alaska, and they have shut in quite a few fields down there. I heard that just recently they have started a few of those wells back up, but the price of oil has to go quite a bit higher before it gets to breakeven price for North Slope oil.....
    Like 90% of trumps campaign promises won't come true...... a friend of mine in West Virginia told me, folks want him to use coal for his petroleum.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Default More bad news for Alaska's future..

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    There is certainly massive waste and over-staffing at all levels in the government. There is always a spending vacuum that suck up all available money, and there was plenty of sucking up of all that oil money.

As to schools - how about all the rural schools that are costing the state massive amounts of $$ per student? Or the 18 or so campuses of UA in every nook and corner. The UA campuses we can close; the rural schools are not so easy.

Even is we taxed everyone that works 30% or 40% income tax we will still be in trouble. The state's budget deficient is that large. And of course there are all the rural residents that demand services and pay no taxes whatsoever.

Without some miracle we are screwed. Oil is just too cheap to produce elsewhere. Even low cost producers like Texas are feeling the pinch.
    Move all us rural free loaders and villagers to your town? :-). My guess is you'd rather pay to keep us where we are.

I agree with a State income tax. Without skin in the game residents will continue wanting to saddle big oil with the bill.

I would like to ensure that if the state income tax does come along the population of non-resident, non-citizen slope folks were also captured in the tax umbrella. I've always been dissatisfied with the huge amount of slope money that leaves the state for our rotational population north of the brooks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I would like to ensure that if the state income tax does come along the population of non-resident, non-citizen slope folks were also captured in the tax umbrella. I've always been dissatisfied with the huge amount of slope money that leaves the state for our rotational population north of the brooks.

Pure blasphemy man!
    Asking non residents to step up and pay a part of this states bills? Are you crazy?
    Every time I mention it here I get bashed!!
    Do you not realize non residents pay more to ADF&G then we do?
    They don't support much else of the states bills from what I see but that doesn't matter here.
    Non residents spend money when they're here and we need to bow down to them for doing so! lol

On a more serious note I agree they need to be taxed.
    Especially if we're going to be taxed.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post

Maybe not as big of a population but don't forget about all the nonresident commercial fisherman and guides (both fishing and hunting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Don't forget..

Let's not forget the fish processors! Overall the commercial fishing and processing industry is by far the largest employer of non-Alaskans and aliens. I'd put a minimum head tax on all non-resident Alaskans, an even higher one on aliens, and then a percentage of income. But we have to be careful not to kill the goose. Wages on the slope for critical skills just aren't that great any more compared to non-slope jobs.

If our senators and congressman weren't in bed with commercial fishing they would demand that the state gets a tax off fish caught in federal water like the royalties taxes on off-shore oil production in federal waters. Unless the fish are landed, we don't get anything. Billions of dollars of fish leave the state for Seattle without us seeing any benefits.

But no matter what new taxes we impose, the state is still in very serious financial trouble. The rural residents are going to get really nailed bad since they have no way to raise revenue to off set the loss of state funds. Towns get property taxes and can add a sales tax to fund their expenses for schools etc. And as the urban taxes get raised and the urban residents squeezed, the attention is going to be on those that pay little or no taxes for what they get i.e. the rural folks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Maybe not as big of a population but don't forget about all the nonresident commercial fisherman and guides (both fishing and hunting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather have a state sales tax so ALL players pay, not just the working stiffs who float the bills for everyone else.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast