Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: More bad news for Alaska's future..

Oil is now over $50 a barrel, soon heading to $70.....more then likely never to be this low again. Times will be better again.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Default More bad news for Alaska's future..

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What if we gave all the people on welfare and any assistance........all State of Alaska Jobs. They would then be protected by the Employees Union, and they would never be poor ever again, they would even have great health coverage, and good pensions. Solves the problems.
    I don't think there could ever be enough state positions for those on assistance, this would be a giant leap in wrong direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if we gave all the people on welfare and any assistance........all State of Alaska Jobs. They would then be protected by the Employees Union, and they would never be poor ever again, they would even have great health coverage, and good pensions. Solves the problems.
    nothing like giving a bunch of people who are not willing to work and just want to collect welfare the responsibility of an entire state's well being... i cant see anything wrong with that
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Some of you may not know about the "Hazlewood "FULL" Employment Act of 1989".
    could you be a bit more specific on that, are you referring to just the "THE Employment Act 1989" ?
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    could you be a bit more specific on that, are you referring to just the "THE Employment Act 1989" ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hazelwood

oh that moron...
    Josh

oh that moron...
    Well...........We had been in a depression 100 times worse than this one (78% of our banks and credit unions went bankrupt). Joseph Hazlewood put everyone to work

Well...........We had been in a depression 100 times worse than this one (78% of our banks and credit unions went bankrupt). Joseph Hazlewood put everyone to work

yeah, after you directed to him specifically i got the joke. (i was looking for an actual "act" at first )

i was in high school when that happened.
    Josh

What I find interesting is........if a company is in deep financial trouble........one of the emergency actions is to lay people off. We see companies lay off 30,000 employees or more so they can survive. The Oil Industry is doing it........Why is laying off 10,000 Alaska State employees not on the table as an option........???
    When I lost my slope job of 10+ years I called the unemployment office.
    The gal there was helpful and sympathetic.
    I hadn't been out of work for going on 13 years.
    When I mentioned it could happen to any one of us anytime she kinda chuckled and said not her she was a tier two state employee.
    Boy did that rub me wrong!
    I agree in the state layoffs.
    Would save a fortune especially given all the benefits given to a state employee.
    And I got your Hazlewood comment right away.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Oil is now over $50 a barrel, soon heading to $70.....more then likely never to be this low again. Times will be better again.....
    OPEC says $70 barrel in 2020 and not sooner.
    IDK but they really do influence the price.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    OPEC says $70 barrel in 2020 and not sooner.
    IDK but they really do influence the price.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Well opec thought about rising the price and our gas prices jump 17% in one hour. Greed is an interesting thing. Oil is an addiction..... James Woolsey said a 1 billion dollar a day addiction, and that's just the imports.

This situation is fixed by only using what we have nationally then switching, like Brazil, to ethenol from biomass.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Well opec thought about rising the price and our gas prices jump 17% in one hour. Greed is an interesting thing. Oil is an addiction..... James Woolsey said a 1 billion dollar a day addiction, and that's just the imports.

This situation is fixed by only using what we have nationally then switching, like Brazil, to ethenol from biomass.
    We are the world's largest oil producing country.
    We are also the largest consumer.
    Hence oil imports.
    The Saudi's dropped the price from record highs to where it is now.
    They can certainly keep the price down anytime they like by flooding the market.
    Lots of solutions that do not necessarily include ethanol.
    I despise ethanol and am glad AK is exempt from using it.
    It has serious problems that can easily ruin an engine and it does lower your mpg's.
    AK has trillions of cubic feet of natural gas.
    Imagine a nation running cars on it!
    Plus that might spur the gas line from the slope.
    That would certainly cause another boom here.

I despise ethanol and am glad AK is exempt from using it.
    It has serious problems that can easily ruin an engine and it does lower your mpg's.
    I agree that ethanol is a "lesser" fuel but as long as the engine is set up for it (meaning the rubber/ plastic parts in the fuel delivery system) your engine really wont know the difference. Its only serious problem that i know about is its ability to hold water and if there is too much water in your fuel... well we know what that means.

I would rather that we made a country wide switch to diesel. That alone would reduce our dependence on foreign oil as every car would see a 25%-35% increase in fuel economy. Then we switch to a bio-diesel blend for the summer months. Bio-diesel is over 90% that of Dino-diesel, ethanol is about 70% of gasoline. Alaska would need a 100% dino-diesel tank to get our vehicles started then an on board fuel heating system would warm up the bio diesel mix so it could be used. A computer chip in new vehicles would control when the tanks would switch, and below a certain temperature the car would continue to run for a few minutes after you shut the car off and removed the key to ensure that 100% dino-diesel was in your fuel lines and filter so the lines would not gel up in the cold keeping you from starting your car up in the next time. For older vehicles you would have to switch the tanks manually, an also install a full length fuel heating system that was run on electricity just in case you forgot to switch, you could still thaw out your lines and filter so the fuel would flow.

AK has trillions of cubic feet of natural gas.
    Imagine a nation running cars on it!
    Plus that might spur the gas line from the slope.
    That would certainly cause another boom here.
    The Southern Tier of upstate NY as well as north western PA has enough natural gas under it to run the country (on current use trends) for over 100 years. PA is drilling for it but NY will not, this is because it would pull the money from the East side of NY and give Western NY the money and power, which would lead to a Republican NY again. Albany (from 50 miles west of the Hudson River east) and NYC refuse to let that happen.
    All of the anti frackers of the east keep killing it, they are the same people killing it in Alaska. Its funny how the rest of the country can say what they want done with their energy reserves but we cant. We have to be dictated to by DC and the hippies of the country.
    Josh

Gentlemen, Brazil imports how much fuel for a country population the size of the US? 0 , yep, nodda, zip, zero.....bio mass that's why. They did it 30 years ago. We could do the same and export what we don't use.

Edwin Hubble

Gentlemen, Brazil imports how much fuel for a country population the size of the US? 0 , yep, nodda, zip, zero.....bio mass that's why. They did it 30 years ago. We could do the same and export what we don't use.
    they have sugar cane, very easy to make ethanol with that. With what we have in the US it is very hard to make ethanol. They are working on it though.
    Josh

I make Bio Mass..........Beer and baked beans. And if the wind blows the snow deep against the outhouse door, it could become a bio MESS.

i forgot to add... Corn is the WORST way to make ethanol. It costs more to make ethanol with corn than almost any other suitable substance. The only reason its used is because of all the subsidies that farmers get to plant corn. So not only do we get to pay out the nose for ethanol we get to pay for it twice with taxes. And lets not forget that corn consumes a buttload of water while growing, not the best product again, especially since we are running out of easily accessible fresh water in the farm belt.
    Switch grass would be a MUCH better option for ethanol, Miscanthus is also a really good ethanol choice.

Again to BioDiesel, can be made with soybean oil, hemp oil, used fry oil, Rapeseed/Canola, Palm Oil, Cottonseed, Sun Flower... and those are just the ones i can think of off the top of my head. and as i said before, biodiesel is a more energy dense item so it makes more sense to use biodiesel as a main fuel source with ethanol as the secondary. (reverse the current fuel paradigm of our vehicles)
    Josh

they have sugar cane, very easy to make ethanol with that. With what we have in the US it is very hard to make ethanol. They are working on it though.
    We have been using corn for years to make ethanol....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I make Bio Mass..........Beer and baked beans. And if the wind blows the snow deep against the outhouse door, it could become a bio MESS.
    I spit out my drink....thanks for that laugh.

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    We have been using corn for years to make ethanol....
    I'll drink to that.

Edwin Hubble

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast