Thread: Bonehead Pilot X Helmet

Default Bonehead Pilot X Helmet

Hello,

I am looking at Pilot X helmet and had a few questions.

Does anyone in the anchorage area have one? I would love to look at one if possible before I purchase. Im in eagle river/birchwood.

How about Sizing. I have a 23" head and says size large. How was the fitting for your helmet.

Is anyone running one of these helmets for a lady or have lady like hair that fills the helmet?

Also did you get the ANR and/or CEP?

Thanks much
    NRA life Member JVJ

I've also been looking at these. I don't have any knowledge to offer, but sure would like the same answers that are being looked for above. Sure would be nice to try these on before laying down the coin.

I have been looking at them as well. But the price tag has me wondering.... In my case I not only need a helmet for myslef but also for customers. I sorta modified a kayaking helmet but it looks pretty cheesy.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

If it's anything like my Gallet helmet the big key is to get the correct shell. Liners are made with movable pads to adjust the shell to the individual's head. You can move the helmet fore and aft on the head to accommodate glasses, adjust ear cup pressure, and get a good overall fit. All of this can be done by you with a little coaching from somebody who knows what they're doing. You'll usually find some pressure points after a few hours that'll need to be adjusted for but ultimately the liner will break in and fit well enough that you'll forget you're wearing it.

If it's like Gallet, get a larger shell than you think you'll need then add liner, pads, etc., accordingly. The ear cups and all take up a lot of room.

Well, made the jump and purchased the pilot X Size large with shaded visor and ANR. Should have it in the next moth and will report how I like it. So you guys know if you buy the helmet in a non colored helmet it is exchangeable (cant remember if she said returnable?). Additionally the shell size is the same small through large so you can swap out the internal padding and change sizes. Finally the ANR does come with the upgraded gel ear pads as well.

Additionally for the ladies I was told to measure the same way and order. If you are close to the next size up recommended ordering that size if you put your hair up. They are very helpful in answering questions and look forward to getting mine in.
    Last edited by akprideinvegas; 11-16-2016 at 13:23. Reason: additional info
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Hello,

I am looking at Pilot X helmet and had a few questions.

Does anyone in the anchorage area have one? I would love to look at one if possible before I purchase. Im in eagle river/birchwood.

How about Sizing. I have a 23" head and says size large. How was the fitting for your helmet.

Is anyone running one of these helmets for a lady or have lady like hair that fills the helmet?

Also did you get the ANR and/or CEP?

Thanks much
    Hi,

Naomi at Bonehead here. I've lurked this site for a while and after a few months of issues with registering, I'm finally able to login!

The PilotX comes in two shell sizes. And though we send helmets out according to your head circumference, the liners are adjustable and the ear cups can also be tightened and loosened. We designed it this way since everyone's head shape is a little bit different. We also accept exchanges on gloss carbon or matte carbon helmets if you need to move up a size, however with your measurement I don't have a concern (only really do if you are at the top end of the XXL). Hair fits well in the helmet especially because the nape strap can be tightened down around hair. Really depends on how women wear their hair when wearing the helmet. I put mine up in a low pony tail, which works great.

Anyway... Quite a few bush pilots in AK flying our helmet, but let me know if you have any questions.

Naomi, is there anywhere in Alaska to try on a helmet? Perhaps the aviation show in April? I'm ready to get a helmet, but would sure like to feel one out before committing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Naomi, is there anywhere in Alaska to try on a helmet? Perhaps the aviation show in April? I'm ready to get a helmet, but would sure like to feel one out before committing.
    Hi Brian,

We currently don't offer any dealerships as there are a lot of customization options and oftentimes we get requests from pilots for custom stuff (lemo plugs or different cable lengths, etc.). 99% of the time we can accommodate those one-off requests. In addition customer service is important for us, so we've been hesitant to allow dealerships as we need to ensure the quality of service. We've had many Alaska dealers wanting to stock our product, which we will begin later this year.

We do offer demos, so feel free to call or email if you'd like to demo a helmet. (951) 744-0083 direct or naomi@boneheadcomposites.com

Thanks!

Thanks, Naomi! I'll likely call you soon about a demo...once I get my plane on skis, that is.

Brian,

I saw a good write up on the Bonehead helmets on another forum. I am considering one but like you wanted to try one on. I may have to take Ms. Naomi up on a demo. And you aren't on skis yet???

buy the best helmet you can afford and quit wasting months and years pretending that thinking about it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    And you aren't on skis yet???
    I know, I know...it's killing me, but nope, not on skis yet. I need to get some dollies made up and then I just need to make the time to get after it.