Thread: Halibut charter - Homer or Anchor Point

Default Halibut charter - Homer or Anchor Point

I will be in Homer on business in mid August and I have a couple days reserved to do some fishing in the area. I will likely spend a day on the Anchor River hitting the silvers with my fly rod. The other day I would like to take a halibut charter out of either Homer or Anchor Point. There are a million halibut charters in Homer and a few in Anchor Point. All of them seem fine but I really know enough about any to make an informed decision.

I'm not looking for a derby winning halibut but I don't want to sit on a chicken hole all day landing 20lbers either. I'd be happy with a couple in the 40 to 60lb range.

I know this is a risky question but does anyone have any suggestions on which location would be better and which charter might be worth going with?

I would go out of Homer for sure. There are some charters there that are great. My all time favorite is Silver Fox. Been around since 78 and I wont go out with anyone else
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I would go out of Homer for sure. There are some charters there that are great. My all time favorite is Silver Fox. Been around since 78 and I wont go out with anyone else
    I'm going out with Silver Fox next week. They came HIGHLY recommended by a trusted friend. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Homer.. and during that time silvers will be in....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default OK what about Seward vs Homer?

weekend after next? (i.e. the 21/22nd of July?)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKCheese View Post
    weekend after next? (i.e. the 21/22nd of July?)
    The wife and I are fishing with them on the 19th.

Silver Fox is a great way to go.

Default Just my experience

I've been out of both and here's my experience: we only got chickens out of Homer and one of us refused to keep the little 10 lb minnows and went home skunked as a result. We went on Silver Fox Charters also. It was about a 5 hour boatride, there and back with an hour or two of actual fishing. We stopped on the way out and the captain handed me a rod and we dropped down and caught a couple of gray cod which was baited up on another rod and personally handed, by the captain, to a young native Alaskan boy who was fishing proxy for his grandmother and grandfather. He caught a 160 lb butt and 5 other nice fish. The eyecandy on the ride out was probably worth the price of the trip; a pod of orcas right off the port side and probably 50 humpbacks on the starboard side with their spouts showing against the treeline.

Anchor Point has been an altogether different story. We've always caught big fish there and limited out. The ride to the fishing grounds is less than an hour, sometimes only 30 minutes or so. The scenery is spectacular and the guides were super. I will absolutely never fish out of Homer again.

Default One sided opinion

Well, we've been coming to AK since '97 and have never had the opportunity to fish out of Homer, but have done trips almost every year since out of Deep Creek; Gottafish is who we've always gone with; not the biggest or fanciest boat, but John works hard and we always have a great time and caught plenty of fish with him.
    Jim

Default gotafish

ifished with john in seward and had a good trip 2 years ago he did a good job