Thread: Clueless kiwi looking for advice on the Kenai Pen.

Default Clueless kiwi looking for advice on the Kenai Pen.

Hi, Im planning to arrive in Whittier from Vancouver Island in the last week of July and travelling through your fine country for about a month. Im on a limited budget and only have the equipment which i carry in my pack. This includes an 8wt and 6 wt rod, reels, waders, tent e.t.c. Infact i dont think i have much room for clothes. Whats the weather like up there?
    I have never been to Alaska but am really keen to try and hook into a few salmon. Any pointers on a good place to start, equipment, fishing outfitters, camp grounds would be most apprecited.
    Cheers and tight lines

At the moment it is cold and rainy in Anchorage. Sounds to me like you have a good set up to start. I"ll assume you have some raingear in that pack? Cause you might need it. For supplies Anchorage will be closest, but how are you getting around? You can hitchhike but it can be dangerous, and maybe illegal. (that said I picked up some folks getting out of girdwood the other day).
    You will have two choices from Whittier. Well three since you can fish from there, but it is not great. Either go south to the Kenai, kasilof, Seward, Homer ect (best bet) or head north to Anchorage and than the mat-su valley to fish, willow, montana creek, little susitna, cottonwood creek.

I usually head south myself. There are a ton of camping spots on the pennisula, but most cost money. I suppose you can walk down the upper river and camp, but lots of bears. I'd stick to normal campgrounds. Try the Russian (most likely full though) Copper river, Bings, Morgan's landing, Izaak Walton, or Centenial. (all are on the Sterling Hwy). Or go to Kasilof and camp at Crooked Creek, or go to the mouth of the Kenai or Kasilof and camp on the beach. Then there is also the Anchor, and Deep Creek. You can also clam at Clam gulch. Then try homer maybe.

Anyway if you want really detailed stuff you can pm me. I have a ton of websites I use to keep track of the fishing. I will also be fishing a lot in the upcoming weeks so might have some new info on where the fish are. I'm sure a lot of others will give you great info too. Just try to be specific when asking as Alaska is a big place. Even if you are just checking it helps to know where you might want to fish. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the advice, will try and get my itinirary sorted and come up with a plan of attack. Was looking at hitching, bus or train as means of transportation. I think I wil focus on the lower Kenai peninsula for starters and tomorrow may be recon day. I figure even in the peak of summer the conditions wont exactly be tropical so I will come prepared. Will get in touch when I near Alaska to see where the fish are, cheers.

Default Another tip

Get a copy of the book: "Alaska Fishing on a Budget" by Bernard Rosenburg. It's worth it's weight in gold. It has all the information you are seeking under one cover. You can find it on Amazon.

Good luck!