Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round trip from Fairbanks to Barrow?

Default Round trip from Fairbanks to Barrow?

I would like to come to Alaska and make a trip like this. Is there a trail system or anyway of making this trip? Any maps available online? Has anyone done this?

Seeing how this is the atv section you must mean trying this on an atv. The short answer for doing this in the summer months is "No frikken way" That said if you have a real lot of money anything is possible. You could run an atv up the haul road to the Oil fields, no easy task but that's where your problems start. Even if you did make it thru the Oil Company checkpoints the North Slope Borough would put an end to your plans on their lands. Assuming you got thru all this you can't run the beach all the time and would have to find a way up on the steep banks and down again. Now these rivers draining into the Ocean will require you to have boats meet you and transport you across them. I would budget about $250,000 just for this help on your trip to Barrow. Going inland some and heading for Barrow won't work either.
    I've driven there a few times in small trucks and if you are serious then the time to do it is late april and may. If you can get thru the checkpoints you can drive over to Barrow on the frozen ocean fairly easy depending on weather. There's a thousand things that can go wrong even doing this if you aren't prepared very well.

Cool Good one....

Have you looked at a map of AK recently? What part of " The Last Frontier" do you NOT get?
    Sorry to bust your balls on this one...the short answer is: Not on an ATV.
    Try walking it instead.

Anything is possible. But this is at the very end of possible. It boggles the mind to think of the logistical nightmare it would be to pull something like this off. Much easier ways to see Barrow and many other awesome places to explore on a wheeler.

Default ?

Does your ATV fly?

It could be done in the summer no doubt. By a motivated team of atvers with both boat support and riggers to ramp span the hundreds of cut banks and obsticles. You would have to be willing to thru away a fortune to do it

It would be a lot more fun, and much more practical on a snowmachine, IMO.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDick View Post
    Have you looked at a map of AK recently? What part of " The Last Frontier" do you NOT get?
    Sorry to bust your balls on this one...the short answer is: Not on an ATV.
    Try walking it instead.
    The Last Frontier is what excited me about it. Actually have about $15,000 to burn on a trip of stupidity. Thought it would be one hell of an adventure. Wasn't sure if there were any routes up there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Does your ATV fly?
    No, but its really fast.

Was actually thinking of taking my Polaris 800 X2 with the tracks with me. The two guy that would come with me also have tracks instead of tires for some of our stupid ideas.

Default resale value

I have to agree with everyone; it's just a really bad idea unless you want to make the 11 O'Clock news "ATVer found dead after 2 week search - film at 11". There are a thousand ways to die in Alaska, without a trip of over 1,000 miles. The logistics would be enormous; cost would be enormous; the scenery would be spectacular no doubt but you could do a reasonable trip and actually enjoy it; you would also have to get BACK from Barrow, LOL. You might could sell you ATV once you get there - IF it's still running. I can just imagine duct tape all over it, safety wire holding parts on, parts missing, busted lights, bent metal, limping into Barrow. $15K wouldn't come close.

No way they would let you run up on the tundra and it's impossible to run a beach that isn't there in places and ice and so many other reasons. Go ahead and make a faint PERMANENT trail across that fragile tundra and you'll go down in Alaska lore like the Hickle Ditch Trail. This will be the Polariass Trail

Default One idea

One trip that might be done. In fact I have heard rumors that it has been done. Ride down the beach from the east bank of the Copper River to Cape Yakataga. You would have to pull some sort of boat with you to navigate the rivers but from what I have seen the beach is clear enough to ride most places and if you did get in some sort of trouble there are enough lodges along the way that you could get some sort of help. There is a good airstrip in Cape Yakataga and there are a few outfitters around the area like Paul Claus who could handle a couple of ATVs and all of your gear(Turbine Otter). Might be something to consider. The vies down south are pretty nice too.

I had a friend almost do it on a snowmobile. They went overland to Nome and then rode the coastline as far as Point Hope and then they burned out the last of their snowmobile belts pulling their heavy trailer. They ended up triggering an ELT that they had along and were rescued by a helicopter from Barrow. They doubled back and got their machines a couple of weeks later and finished the trip. It would be impossible on a 4 wheeler though.

Default Give the guy some credit!

Come on now, everyone.
    I think that the real question is...
    How would you get home?
    Would you take the trip back the same way that you came?
    (...and I am not asking this to be sarcastic or facetious)
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Come on now, everyone.
    How would you get home?
    Actually it would be reasonable to fly the Atvs and gear out of Barrow to Fbks. Everets cargo planes leave there mostly empty and the backhaul rate is relativly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Come on now, everyone.
    How would you get home?

I believe the real answer may be....going home in a pine box.

I have tried some pretty crazy stuff before and have had pretty good luck. I have a cabin in Montana where I keep some of my gear. I have a trailer that I made to cross water. The trailer is a raft that I have constructed. It consists of two 7 foot pontoons, two 2 1/2 foot by 7 foot marine deck boards that are hindged together and fold out to a 5 foot by 7 foot raft. It has a single axle to 29 inch tires that detach in about 2 minutes, two anchores and I have 7 foot long ramps to get on and off. The raft is propelled by a trolling motor and actually handle good. I have use this to cross rivers, small lakes, stream, ponds, swamp, etc. I am an experience outdoorsman (not just some idiot). I actually have good equipment and the 11 o'clock new should have me on it since I have a sat-phone. My friend and I have made some hard trips in the past and we are always looking to one up the last. The round trip idea sounds like it would totally be out, but I'm still interested in finding out more.

Right now this is just an idea. However, that is exactly how all the other crazy trips started.

Well, there is a "trail" that would get you to Prudhoe. It's called the Alaska Pipeline access. If you time it right you could get there after freeze up, take a left and and drive to Barrow on frozen tundra. A few years ago a guy got permission from Alyeska to walk the pipeline from Valdez to Prudhoe with his dog. He did it in a summer.

Having said that personnaly I think your handle says it all sorry, couldn't resist.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Cool Cross country

I like the fact that you have fifteen Grover's to burn!! Tell me, Nut, what is the "craziest" adventure that you have done with your buddies?

I respect your fortitude in continuing this thread even after all the replies...we'd get along great!

I have a similar attitude towards adventure, but being born and raised in this great state I also have a deeply-rooted respect for Alaska and the inherent calamity it can present to the naive or fool-hearted. This ain't no backcountry Montana or mountainous Seirra-Nevada's- it's 10x more difficult and 20x more dangerous! It's also 50x more fun!!

Good luck!

(I'd still like to hear about your craziest adventure)

SD

There's also something about no ATVs being allowed within 5 miles of the haul road/pipeline right-of-way, and then national parks covering a good portion of the Brooks Range either side of the highway. Given the fragility of the tundra permafrost, I don't see how you could possibly do this in the summer time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast