Thread: Kenai Canyon Rapids??

Default Kenai Canyon Rapids??

I have been fishing from the Cooper Landing bridge down to Jim's Landing. I've heard a lot about the Kenai Canyon but never been through there. I've heard differnt opinions about the severity of the rapids. Any thoughts on how bad those really are? I have the 16' Willie drift boat, extra wide. It can handle some rough water but I don't want to get into trouble.

Thanks!

Default I find it fun...

The Kenai canyon is a lot of fun. It's advertised as class III and at high water it could be every bit of that. I go through it in my 13' cataraft a few times a year. I've seen quite a few drift boats in ther as well. I'm not a drift-boater yet, but I think the boat would be fine. It's a short stretch (probably 15-20 min going straight through). There's excellent fishing through there for the people not on the oars.

There are a few doozies in there so make sure to be safe and keep the pointy end down river!

I float it 10 or 12 times a summer with one man catarafts and the 16' oval. There is nothing in the canyon that your boat wont handle. There are no areas that you cant go around or miss the bigger stuff if you have half a brain. I choose to hit everything I can with the one maners and it is a kick!

So i run my 14ft cat over the princess chute which is nothing and i run it over the top of the rapids where the kenai meets the bank by the road into the russian. I suppose i could take it through the canyon too. Id rather do it with someone else first is my only concern to see it.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default the best thing to do is walk it!

I too have been down thru the canyon many times. However, it is always a good idea for those that are going for the first time to walk and see for themselves what they are getting into. I believe its the element of surprise that gets some people.There is a very good trail that affords good vantage pts along the way. Remember they just fished out 2 more people from Naptown last week. Fortunately they both made it out ok.

Also they finally recovered the body of the man that drown going thru Naptown. That was few weeks ago that they lost him, however they just recovered his body a few days ago. The helicopter, they used in the recovery effort, was hovering over my house on the river. It was truly disheartening to watch them retrieve the man.

I encourage everyone to know exactly what you are getting into before you jump in.

Default Be Safe !

I agree with Avid outdoorsmen. I would ckeck it out first or even go with a friend who has experience floating it. I too have floated it tons of times in my 14ft cat, but om my first trip I was a little scared , so I let a buddy oar my boat through the canyon. It's really not that bad, and most of the bigger waves you can avoid. Whether you have half a brain or a full one I'm sure you could still get in trouble. There's no such thing in my book as a safe river.It's up to us how safe we make it. They all have there dangers. I can remember going through the canyon last year in october and getting to Skilak lake and it made the canyon seem like the little willow. The lake had about 4 foot swells on it, and the winds were blowing into us head on. So we sat it out for two hours until it died down.So just be cautious your first time through. Or do like I did ,have a friend who has experience oar your boat through so you can see how it's done. Now that I've scared the ---- out of you, I think you'll be fine. You've already started off good asking questions at least .

I Have always stayed to the left side of the river going throu it, with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ftr View Post
    The lake had about 4 foot swells on it, and the winds were blowing into us head on. So we sat it out for two hours until it died down.So just be cautious your first time through..
    Good Post and a very good point to be aware of! That lake can get nasty.